- Volume 27 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
In vitro and Lactation Responses in Mid-lactating Dairy Cows Fed Protected Amino Acids and Fat
- Nam, I.S. (Department of Animal Life and Environment Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Choi, J.H. (Department of Animal Life and Environment Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Seo, K.M. (Department of Animal Life and Environment Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Ahn, J.H. (Department of Animal Life and Environment Science, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2014.02.07
- Accepted : 2014.07.08
- Published : 2014.12.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of ruminally protected amino acids (RPAAs) and ruminally protected fat (RPF) supplementation on ruminal fermentation characteristics (in vitro) and milk yield and milk composition (in vivo). Fourteen mid-lactating Holstein dairy cows (mean weight
Rumen Protected Amino Acids;Rumen Protected Fat;Fermentation;Milk Yield
- Chalupa, W., B. Vecchiarelli, A. E. Elser, D. S. Kronfeld, D. Sklan, and D. L. Palmquist. 1986. Rumenal fermentation in vivo as influenced by long chain fatty acids. J. Dairy Sci. 69:1293-1301. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80535-5
- AOAC. 1984. Official Method of Analysis (14th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC, USA.
- Bines, J. A., P. E. Brumby, J. E. Storry, R. J. Fulford, and G. J. Braithwaite. 1978. The effect of protected lipids on nutrient intake, blood and rumen metabolites and milk secretion in dairy cows during early lactation. J. Agric. Sci. 91:135-150. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600056690
- Boggs, D. L., W. G. Bergen, and D. R. Hawkins. 1987. Effects of tallow supplementation and protein withdrawal on ruminal fermentation, microbial synthesis and site of digestion. J. Anim. Sci. 64:907-914. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.643907x
- Briggs, P. K., J. P. Hogen, and R. L. Reid. 1957. Effect of volatile fatty acid, lactic acid and ammonia on rumen pH in sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 8:674-690. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9570674
- Canale, C. J., L. D. Muller, H. A. McCahon, T. J. Whitsel, G. A. Varga, and M. J. Lormore. 1990. Dietary fat and ruminally protected amino acids for high producing dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 73:135-141. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78656-0
- Chaney, A. L. and E. P. Marbach. 1962. Modified reagent for determination of urea and ammonia. Clin. Chem. 8:130-132.
- Chapoutot, P., P. Schmidely, D. Sauvant, J. C. Robert, and B. Sloan. 1992. Influence of a ruminally protected blend of methionine and lysine on the dairy cow nutrition and production. J. Dairy Sci. 75(Suppl. 1):199(abstr.).
- Depeters, E. J. and J. P. Cant. 1992. Nutritional factors influencing the nitrogen composition of milk: A review. J. Dairy Sci. 72:2043-2070.
- Donkin, S. S., G. A. Varga, T. F. Sweeney, and L. D. Muller. 1989. Rumen protected methionine and lysine: Effects on animal performance, milk protein yield and physiological measure. J. Dairy Sci. 72:1484-1491. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79258-4
- Fuller, M. F., R. McWilliam, T. C. Wang, and L. R. Giles. 1989. The optimum dietary amino acid pattern for growing pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 62:255-267. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19890028
- Goering, H. K. and Van Soest. 1980. Forage Fiber Analysis. (Apparatus, Reagents, Procedures and Some Application). Agricultural Hand Book. No. 379, ARS-USDA, Washington, DC, USA.
- Lee, J. M., I. S. Nam, and J. H. Ahn. 2008. Effects of supplementation of ruminally protected amino acid on in vitro ruminal parameters and milk yield and milk composition of dairy cows in mid-lactation. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 50:199-208. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.2.199
- Hill, G. M. and J. W. West. 1991. Rumen protected fat in kline barley or corn diets for beef cattle: Digestion, physiological, and feedlot responses. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3376-3388. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6983376x
- Kumar, S., S. S. Dagar, S. K. Sirohi, R. C. Padhyay, and A. K. Puniya. 2013. Microbial profiles, in vitro gas production and dry matter digestibility based on various rations of roughage to concentrate. Ann. Microbiol. 63:541-545. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13213-012-0501-0
- Izumi, K., C. Kikuchi, and M. Okamoto. 2000. Effect of rumen protected methionine on lactational performance of dairy cows. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1235-1238. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1235
- Macleod, G. K., Y. Yu, and L. R. Schaeffer. 1977. Feeding value of protected animal tallow for high yielding dairy cows. J. Dairy. Sci. 60:726-738. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)83927-1
- Mattias, J. E., G. J. Ruegsegger, L. H. Schultz, and W. J. Tyler. 1982. Effect of feeding animal fat to dairy cows in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 65(Suppl. 1):151.
- Ngidi, M. E., S. C. Loerch, F. L. Fluharty, and D. L. Palmquist. 1990. Effects of calcium soaps of long chain fatty acids on feedlot performance, carcass characteristics and ruminal metabolism of steers. J. Anim. Sci. 68:2555-2565. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6882555x
- Palmquist, D. L. and H. R. Conard. 1978. High fat ration for dairy cows. Effects on feed intake, milk and fat production, and plasma metabolites. J. Dairy Sci. 61:890-901. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83667-4
- Robinson, P. H., W. Chalapa, W. Julien, K. Sato, H. Suzuki, and R. E. McQueen. 1992. Supplemental rumen-protected amino acids for early lactation dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. (Suppl.1):199(abstr).
- Schingoethe, D. J., D. P. Casper, C. Yang, D. J. Illg, J. L. Sommerfeldt, and C. R. Mueller. 1988. Lactational response to soybean meal, heated soybean meal, and extrued soybeans with ruminally protected methionine. J. Dairy Sci. 71:173-180. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79539-9
- Roseler, D. K., J. D. Feruson, C. J. Sniffen, and J. Herrema. 1993. Dietary protein degradability effect on plasma and milk urea nitrogen and milk nonprotein nitrogen in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:525-532. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77372-5
- Sarwar, M., J. L. Firkins, and M. L. Estridge. 1991. Effect of replacing neutral detergent fiber of forage with soy hull and corn gluten feed for dairy heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1006-1017. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78250-7
- SAS. 1996. User's Guide: Statistics, Version 6.12 Edition. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schwab, C. G., C. K. Bozak, N. L. Whitehouse, and V. M. Olsin. 1989. Extent of lysine limitation in mid lactation cows fed a corn-based ration. J. Dairy Sci. 72(Suppl. 1):506(Abstr.).
- Sehauff, D. J. and J. H. Clark. 1992. Effect of feeding diets containing calcium salts of long-chain fatty acids to lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2990-3002. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)78063-1
- Sharma, H. R., J. R. Inaglls, and J. A. Mckirdy. 1978. Replacing barley with protected tallow in ration of lactating holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 61:574-583. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)94412-0
- Sloan, B. K., J. C. Robert, and J. Mathe. 1989. Influence of dietary crude protein of coconut plus or minus inclusion or rumen-protected amino acids (RAA) on the early lactation performance of heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 72(Suppl.1):506(Abstr.).
- Sutton, J. D., R. Knight, A. B. McAllan, and R. H. Smith. 1983. Digestion and synthesis in the rumen of sheep given diets supplemented with free or protected oils. Br. J. Nutr. 49:419-432. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19830051
- Tilly, J. M. A. and R. A. Terry. 1963. A two stage technique for in vitro digestion of forage crop. Grass. Forage Sci. 18:104-111. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1963.tb00335.x
- Yang, Y. T., R. L. Baldwin, and J. Russell. 1978. Effect of long supplementation with lipids on lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 60:180-188.
- Veira, D. M., J. R. Seoane, and J. G. Proulx. 1991. Utilization of grass silage by growing cattle: Effect of a supplement contacting ruminally protected amino acids. J. Anim. Sci. 69:4703-4709. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.69124703x
- Wang, A. S., D. E. Jan, K. J. Chen, D. W. Yang, and Y. K. Fan. 2004. Dietary supplementation of fat increased milk percentage without affecting ruminal characteristics in Holstein cows in a warm tropical environment. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 17:213-220. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.213
- Wrenn, T. R., J. Bitman, R. A. Waterman, J. R. Weyant, D. L. Wood, L. L. Strozinski, and N. W. Hooven Jr. 1978. Feeding protected and unprotected tallow to lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 61:49-58. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83550-4