- Volume 27 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Energy Requirements in Early Life Are Similar for Male and Female Goat Kids
- Bompadre, T.F.V. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Neto, O. Boaventura (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Mendonca, A.N. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Souza, S.F. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Oliveira, D. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Fernandes, M.H.M.R. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Harter, C.J. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Almeida, A.K. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Resende, K.T. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista) ;
- Teixeira, I.A.M.A. (Department of Animal Science, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista)
- Received : 2014.02.25
- Accepted : 2014.06.29
- Published : 2014.12.01
Little is known about the gender differences in energetic requirements of goats in early life. In this study, we determined the energy requirements for maintenance and gain in intact male, castrated male and female Saanen goat kids using the comparative slaughter technique and provide new data on their body composition and energy efficiency. To determine the energy requirements for maintenance, we studied 21 intact males, 15 castrated males and 18 females (
Body Composition;Comparative Slaughter;Gender;Growth;Intake;Metabolism
- AFRC. 1998. The Nutrition of Goats. Report n.10. Agricultural and Food Research Council. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Blaxter, K. L. and J. L. Clapperton 1965. Prediction of amount of methane produced by ruminants. Br. J. Nutr. 19:511-522. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19650046
- ARC. 1980. The Nutrient Requirements of Ruminant Livestock: Technical Review. Published on behalf of the Agricultural Research Council by the Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Slough, UK.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. Vol. I. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Baldwin, R. L., N. E. Smith, J. Taylor, and M. Sharp. 1980. Manipulating metabolic parameters to improve growth-rate and milk secretion. J. Anim. Sci. 51:1416-1428. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5161416x
- Chizzotti, M. L., S. C. Valadares Filho, L. O. Tedeschi, F. H. M. Chizzotti, and G. E. Carstens. 2007. Energy and protein requirements for growth and maintenance of F-1 Nellore x Red Angus bulls, steers, and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1971-1981. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-632
- Etheridge, R. D., G. M. Pesti, and E. H. Foster. 1998. A comparison of nitrogen values obtained utilizing the Kjeldahl nitrogen and Dumas combustion methodologies (Leco CNS 2000) on samples typical of an animal nutrition analytical laboratory. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 73:21-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00136-9
- Fernandes, M. H. M. R., K. T. Resende, L. O. Tedeschi, J. S. Fernandes, H. M. Silva, G. E. Carstens, T. T. Berchielli, I. A. M. A. Teixeira, and L. Akinaga. 2007. Energy and protein requirements for maintenance and growth of Boer crossbred kids. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1014-1023. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-110
- Geay, Y. 1984. Energy and protein-utilization in growing cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 58:766-778. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.583766x
- Goering, H. K., C. H. Gordon, R. W. Hemken, P. J. Van Soest, and L. W. Smith. 1970. Analytical measures of heat damaged forage and nitrogen digestibility. J. Dairy Sci. 53:676.
- Lawrence, T., V. Fowler, and J. Novakofski. 2012. Growth of Farm Animals. 3rd ed CABI Oxfordshire, UK.
- Paulino, P. V. R., S. C. Valadares Filho, E. Detmann, R. F. D. Valadares, M. A. Fonseca, and M. I. Marcondes. 2009. Body tissue and chemical component deposition in Nellore bulls, steers and heifers. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 38:2516-2524. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982009001200030
- Lofgreen, G. P. and W. N. Garrett. 1968. A system for expressing net energy requirements and feed values for growing and finishing beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 27:793-806. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.273793x
- NRC. 2007. Nutrient Requirements of Small Ruminants: Sheep, Goats, Cervids, and New World Camelids. National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle: 7th Revised Edition: Update 2000. National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Purchas, R. W., A. S. Davies, and A. Y. Abdullah. 1991. An objective-measure of muscularity: Changes with animal growth and differences between genetic lines of southdown sheep. Meat Sci. 30:81-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(91)90037-Q
- Sahlu, T., A. L. Goetsch, J. Luo, I. V. Nsahlai, J. E. Moore, M. L. Galyean, F. N. Owens, C. L. Ferrell, and Z. B. Johnson. 2004. Nutrient requirements of goats: developed equations, other considerations and future research to improve them. Small Rumin. Res. 53:191-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.04.001
- Shahin, K. A., R. T. Berg, and M. A. Price. 1993. The effect of breed-type and castration on tissue-growth patterns and carcass composition in cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 35:251-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(93)90096-Z
- Street, J. C., L. E. Harris, and J. E. Butcher. 1964. Estimating urine energy from urine nitrogen. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1039-1041. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1964.2341039x
- Tedeschi, L. O., C. Boin, D. G. Fox, P. R. Leme, G. F. Alleoni, and D. P. D. Lanna. 2002. Energy requirement for maintenance and growth of Nellore bulls and steers fed high-forage diets. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1671-1682. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8061671x
- Tedeschi, L. O., D. G. Fox, G. E. Carstens, and C. L. Ferrell. 2010. The partial efficiency of use of metabolisable energy for growth in ruminants. EAAP Publication No. 127. pp 519-529 T512.
- Tovar-Luna, I., A. L. Goetsch, R. Puchala, T. Sahlu, G. E. Carstens, H. C. Freetly, and Z. B. Johnson. 2007. Efficiency of energy use for maintenance and gain by growing crossbred Boer and Spanish Goats consuming diets differing in forage level. Small Rumin. Res. 67:20-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.09.002
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Energy requirements for growth of pubertal female Saanen goats vol.100, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12367
- Protein requirements for growth in male and female Saanen goats vol.44, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902015001100004
- Sex effects on net protein and energy requirements for growth of Saanen goats vol.100, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11895