- Volume 38 Issue 5
The objective of this study is to examine the nonlinear fluid characteristics near and inside a moonpool in various sea conditions. We estimate the flow of the free surface in a moonpool taking into account the viscosity effect and the hydrodynamic forces that affects a moonpool and hull through CFD calculations. The comparison of horizontal forces per wave length shows that the hydrodynamic force is greater for the long wave length than short wave length, and the greatest hydrodynamic force acts on the moonpool when the wave length is equal to the ship's length. The horizontal force decreases as the wave amplitude decreases, and the hydrodynamic force acting on the moonpool in
Moonpool;Hydrodynamic force;CFD;Free surface;Wave length;Wave amplitude
- Fukuda, K.(1977), "Behavior of water in vertical well with bottom opening of ship and its effects on ship motion", Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, Vol. 141, pp. 107-122.
- Choi, S. Y., Lee, Y. G., Jeong, K. L. and Ha, Y. J.(2011), "Reduction of added resistance by internal flow control in the moonpool of a drillship", Journal of the Society of Naval Architect of Korea, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 544-551. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.6.544
- Faltinsen, O. M., Rognebakke, O. F. and Timokha, A. N.(2007), "Two-dimensional resonant piston-like sloshing in a moonpool", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 575, pp. 359-397. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211200600440X
- Fossli, B. and Hendriks, S.(2008), "PRD 12,000 drill ship; increasing efficiency in deep water operations", Proc. of the 2008 International Association of Drilling Contractors/the Society of Petroleum Engineers Drilling Conference, pp. 1-17.
- Fukuda, K. and Yoshii, Y.(2009), "Flow calculations in vertical cavity with free surface and bottom opening to water stream", The Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineer, Vol. 10, pp. 23-28. https://doi.org/10.2534/jjasnaoe.10.23
- Gaillarde, G. and Cotteleer, A.(2004), "Water motion in moonpools empirical and theoretical approach", Proc. of ATMA-Association Technique Maritime et Aeronautique, No. 2435.
- Hammargren, E. and Tornblom, J.(2012), Effect of the moonpool on the total resistance of a drillship, Master Thesis, Chalmers university of technology.
- Heo, J. K., Park, J. C. and Kim, M. H.(2011), "CFD analysis of two-dimensional floating body with moonpool under forced heave motion", Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 36-46.
- Kim, D. J., Park, J. W., Kim, J. N. and Jeong, U. C.(2006), "An experimental study on the moonpool characteristics of a cleaning ship for ocean environment purification", Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 46-51.
- Koo, W. C. and Lee, K. R.(2010), "Motion analysis of two-dimensional floating body with moonpool using a numerical wave tank", Proc. of the Annual Spring Meeting the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, pp. 2133-2139.
- Lu, L., Teng, B., Sun, L. and Chen, B.(2011), "Modeling of multi-bodies in close proximity under water waves - fluid forces on floating bodies", Ocean Engineering, Vol. 38, pp. 1403-1416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.06.008
- Kristiansen, T. and Faltinsen, O. M.(2012), "Gap resonance analyzed by a new domain-decomposition method combining potential and viscous flow DRAFT", Applied Ocean Research, Vol. 34, pp. 198-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2011.07.001
- Lee, S. B., Han, B. W., Park, D. W., Ahn, Y. W., Go, S. C. and Seo, H. W.(2012), "Proper orthogonal decomposition of pressure fluctuations in moonpool", Journal of the Society of Naval Architect of Korea, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 484-490. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.6.484
- Lee, Y. G. and Miyata, H.(1990), "A finite-difference simulation method for 2D flows about bodies of arbitrary configuration", Journal of Society of Naval Architects of Japan, Vol. 167, pp. 1-8.
- Molin, B.(2001), "On the piston and sloshing modes in moonpools", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 430, pp. 27-50. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112000002871
- Rockwell, D. and Naudasher, E.(1979), "Self-sustained oscillations of impinging free shear layers", Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 11, pp. 67-94. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fl.11.010179.000435
- Son, H. J., Choi, S. H., Kim, M. H. and Hwangbo, S. M.(2008), "Drag reduction of recess type moonpool under vessels forward speed", Proc. of the ASME 27th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, OMAE2008-57118, pp. 143-148.
- Van't Veer, R. and Tholen, H. J.(2008), "Added resistance of moonpool in calm water", Proc. of the ASME 27th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, OMAE2008-57246, pp. 153-162.