- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
CYP2E1 Genetic Polymorphism with Dietary, Tobacco, Alcohol Habits, H. pylori Infection Status and Susceptibility to Stomach Cancer in Mizoram, India
- Malakar, Mridul (Regional Medical Research Centre, NE Region (Indian Council of Medical Research)) ;
- Devi, K. Rekha (Regional Medical Research Centre, NE Region (Indian Council of Medical Research)) ;
- Phukan, Rup Kumar (Regional Medical Research Centre, NE Region (Indian Council of Medical Research)) ;
- Kaur, Tanvir (Indian Council of Medical Research) ;
- Deka, Manab (Department of Biotechnology, Gauhati University) ;
- Puia, Lalhriat (Hospital and Medical Education, Gauhati University) ;
- Baruah, Debajit (Aizawl Endoscopy Centre) ;
- Mahanta, Jagadish (Regional Medical Research Centre, NE Region (Indian Council of Medical Research)) ;
- Narain, Kanwar (Regional Medical Research Centre, NE Region (Indian Council of Medical Research))
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: The incidence of stomach cancer in India is highest in the state of Mizoram. In this population based matched case-control study, we evaluated the relationship between CYP450 2E1 RsaI polymorphism and risk of stomach cancer taking into considering various important dietary habits along with tobacco, alcohol consumption and H. pylori infection status. Materials and Methods: A total of 105 histologically confirmed stomach cancer cases and 210 matched healthy population controls were recruited. CYP2E1 RsaI genotypes were determined by PCR-RFLP and H. pylori infection status by ELISA. Information on various dietary, tobacco and alcohol habits was recorded in a standard questionnaire. Results: Our study revealed no significant association between the CYP2E1 RsaI polymorphism and overall risk of stomach cancer in Mizoram. However, we observed a non-significant protective effect of the variant allele (A) of CYP2E1 against stomach cancer. Tobacco smokers carrying C/C genotype have three times more risk of stomach cancer, as compared to non-smokers carrying C/C genotype. Both Meiziol and cigarette current and past smokers who smoked for more than 10 times per day and carrying the (C/C) genotype are more prone to develop stomach cancer. Smoke dried fish and preserved meat (smoked/sun dried) consumers carrying C/C genotype possesses higher risk of stomach cancer. No significant association between H. pylori infection and CYP2E1 RsaI polymorphism in terms of stomach cancer was observed. Conclusions: Although no direct association between the CYP2E1 RsaI polymorphism and stomach cancer was observed, relations with different tobacco and dietary risk habits in terms of developing stomach cancer exist in this high risk population of north-eastern part of India. Further in-depth study recruiting larger population is required to shed more light on this important problem.
Stomach cancer;CYP 450 2E1 RsaI polymorphism;risk habits;Mizoram;India
- Tsukino H, Kuroda Y, Qiu D, et al (2002). Effects of cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2A6 gene deletion and CYP2E1 genotypes on gastric adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer, 100, 425-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10492
- Wang Y, Yang H, Li L, et al (2010). Association between CYP2E1 genetic polymorphisms and lung cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 46, 758-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.12.010
- Ward MH, Lopez CL (1999). Dietary factors and the risk of gastric cancer in Mexico City. Am J Epidemiol, 149, 925-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009736
- Wu X, Shi H, Jiang H, et al (1997). Associations between cytochrome P4502E1 genotype, mutagen sensitivity, cigarette smoking and susceptibility to lung cancer. Carcinogenesis, 8, 967-73.
- Wu MS, Chen CJ, Lin MT, et al (2002). Genetic polymorphisms of cytochrome P450 2E1, glutathione S-transferase M1 and T1, and susceptibility to gastric carcinoma in Taiwan. Int J Colorectal Dis, 5, 338-43.
- Ye X, Peng T, Liu T, et al (2010). Association between aldehyde dehydrogenase-2/cytochrome P450 2E1 genetic polymorphism and habit of alcohol drinking and the susceptibility of hepatocellular carcinoma. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu, 39, 42-5.
- Boccia S, Lauretis AD, Gianfagna F, et al (2007). CYP2E1 PstI/RsaI polymorphism and interaction with tobacco, alcohol and GSTs in gastric cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis of the literature. Carcinogenesis, 28, 101-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgl124
- Yu MW, Gladek YA, Chiamprasert S, et al (1995). Cytochrome P450 2E1 and glutathione S-transferase M1 polymorphisms and susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 109, 1266-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(95)90587-1
- Zhuo W, Zhang L, Wang Y, et al (2012). CYP2E1 RsaI/PstI polymorphism and gastric cancer susceptibility: metaanalyses based on 24 case-control studies. PLoS One, 7, 48265. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048265
- Anwar WA, Abdel RSZ, El ZRA, et al (1996). Genetic polymorphism of GSTM1, CYP2E1 and CYP2D6 in Egyptian bladder cancer patients. Carcinogenesis, 17, 1923-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/17.9.1923
- Balaji L, Singh KB, Bhaskar LVKS (2011). Genetic polymorphisms of the CYP2E1 gene do not contribute to oral cancer susceptibility in South Indians. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 1523-7.
- Bouchardy C, Hirvonen A, Coutelle C, et al (2000). Role of alcohol dehydrogenase 3 and cytochrome P-4502E1 genotypes in susceptibility to cancers of the upper aero digestive tract. Int J Cancer, 87, 734-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20000901)87:5<734::AID-IJC17>3.0.CO;2-E
- Camus AM, Geneste O, Honkakoski P, et al (1993). High variability of nitrosamine metabolism among individuals: role of cytochromes P450 2A6 and 2E1 in the de-alkylation of N-nitrosodimethylamine and N-nitrosodiethylamine in mice and humans. Mol Carcinog, 7, 268-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.2940070410
- Correa P (1992). Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process: first American Cancer Society award lecture on cancer epidemiology and prevention. Cancer Res, 52, 6735-40.
- Garcia-G MA, Quintero E, Bujanda L, et al (2012). Relevance of GSTM1, GSTT1, and GSTP1 gene polymorphisms to gastric cancer susceptibility and phenotype. Mutagenesis, 27, 771-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/mutage/ges049
- Deng XD, Gao Q, Zhang B, et al (2014). Functional RsaI/PstI Polymorphism in Cytochrome P450 2E1 contributes to bladder cancer susceptibility: Evidence from a metaanalysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4977-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4977
- Feng, J, Pan X, Junbo Y, et al (2012). Functional PstI/RsaI polymorphism in CYP2E1 is associated with the development, progression and poor outcome of gastric cancer. PLoS One, 7, 44478. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0044478
- Gao C, Takezaki T, Wu J, et al (2002). Interaction between Cytochrome P-450 2E1 polymorphisms and environmental factors with risk of esophageal and stomach cancers in Chinese. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 11, 29-34.
- Gonzalez A, Ramirez V, Cuenca P, et al (2004). Polymorphisms in detoxification genes CYP1A1, CYP2E1, GSTT1 and GSTM1 in gastric cancer susceptibility. Rev Biol Trop, 52, 591-600.
- Hildesheim A, Anderson LM, Chen CJ, et al (1997). CYP2E1 genetic polymorphisms and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Taiwan. J Natl Cancer Inst, 89, 1207-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.16.1207
- Hirvonen A, Husgafvel PK, Anttila S, et al (1993). The human CYP2E1 gene and lung cancer: DraI and RsaI restriction fragment length polymorphisms in a Finnish study population. Carcinogenesis, 14, 85-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/14.1.85
- Hung HC, Chuang J, Chien YC, et al (1997). Genetic polymorphisms of CYP2E1, GSTM1, and GSTT1: environmental factors and risk of oral cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 6, 901-5.
- IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) (1993). Pickled vegetables. IARC Monogr. Eval Carcinog Risks Hum, 56, 83-113.
- Kato S, Onda M, Matsukura N, et al (1996). Genetic polymorphisms of the cancer related gene and Helicobacter pylori infection in Japanese gastric cancer patients. An age and gender matched case-control study. Cancer, 77, 1654-61.
- IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) (2000). N-Nitrosodiethanolamine. IARC Monogr. Eval Carcinog Risks Hum, 77, 403-8.
- Kato S, Shields PG, Caporaso NE, et al (1992). Cytochrome P4502E1 genetic polymorphisms, racial variation and lung cancer risk. Cancer Res, 52, 6712-5.
- Kato S, Onda M, Matsukura N, et al (1995). Cytochrome P4502E1 (CYP2E1) genetic polymorphism in a case-control study of gastric cancer and liver disease. Pharmacogenetics, 5, 141-4. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008571-199512001-00016
- Kato S, Naito Z, Matsuda N, et al (2011). Localization of cytochrome P4502E1 enzyme in normal and cancerous gastric mucosa and association with its genetic polymorphism in un-operated and remnant stomach. J Nippon Med Sch, 78, 224-34. https://doi.org/10.1272/jnms.78.224
- Kolble K (1993). Regional mapping of short tandem repeats on human chromosome 10: cytochrome P450 gene CYP2E1, D10S196, D10S220, and D10S225. Genomics, 18, 702-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0888-7543(05)80378-7
- Ladero JM, Agundez JA, Rodriguez LA, et al (1996). RsaI polymorphism at the cytochrome P4502E1 locus and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut, 39, 330-3. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.39.2.330
- Lakkakula S, Maram R, Munirajan AK, et al (2013). Functional PstI/RsaI polymorphisms in the CYP2E1 gene among South Indian populations. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 179-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.179
- Le Marchand L, Sivaraman L, Pierce L, et al (1998). Associations of CYP1A1, GSTM1, and CYP2E1 polymorphisms with lung cancer suggest cell type specificities to tobacco carcinogens. Cancer Res, 58, 4858-63.
- Malakar M, Devi KR, Phukan RK, et al (2014). p53 Codon 72 Polymorphism Interactions with dietary and tobacco related habits and risk of stomach cancer in Mizoram, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 717-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.717
- Lin DX, Tang YM, Peng Q, et al (1998). Susceptibility to esophageal cancer and genetic polymorphisms in glutathione S-transferases T1, P1, and M1 and cytochrome P450 2E1. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 7, 1013-8.
- London SJ, Daly AK, Cooper J, et al (1996). Lung cancer risk in relation to the CYP2E1 RsaI genetic polymorphism among African-Americans and Caucasians in Los Angeles County. Pharmacogenetics, 6, 151-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008571-199604000-00002
- Malakar M, Devi KR, Phukan RK, et al (2012). Genetic polymorphism of glutathione S-transferases M1 and T1, tobacco habits and risk of stomach cancer in Mizoram, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4725-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4725
- Malik MA, Upadhyay R, Mittal RD, et al (2009). Role of xenobiotic-metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphisms and interactions with environmental factors in susceptibility to gastric cancer in Kashmir Valley. J Gastrointest Cancer, 40, 26-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12029-009-9072-0
- Masuda G, Tokunaga A, Shirakawa T, et al (2007). Helicobacter pylori infection, but not genetic polymorphism of CYP2E1, is highly prevalent in gastric cancer patients younger than 40 years. Gastric Cancer, 10, 98-103. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-007-0414-y
- Matthias C, Bockmuhl U, Jahnke V, et al (1998). Polymorphism in cytochrome P450 CYP2D6, CYP1A1, CYP2E1 and glutathione S-transferase, GSTM1, GSTM3, GSTT1 and susceptibility to tobacco-related cancers: studies in upper aerodigestive tract cancers. Pharmacogenetics, 8, 91-100.
- Mohamad D, Mahmoud B, Anas M, et al (2011). CYP1A1, CYP2E1 and GSTM1 gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to colorectal and gastric cancer among Lebanese. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers, 15, 423-9. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2010.0206
- Park GT, Lee OY, Kwon SJ, et al (2003). Analysis of CYP2E1 polymorphism for the determination of genetic susceptibility to gastric cancer in Koreans. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 11, 1257-63.
- Morita S, Yano M, Shiozaki H, et al (1997). CYP1A1, CYP2E1 and GSTM1 polymorphisms are not associated with susceptibility to squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Int J Cancer, 71, 192-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19970410)71:2<192::AID-IJC11>3.0.CO;2-K
- NCRP (National Cancer Registry Programme) (2010). Three year report of the population based cancer registries 2006-2008. (First report of 20 PBCRs in India), Bangalore. Indian Council of Medical Research Publ, 11, 71-8.
- Nishimoto IN, Hanaoka T, Sugimura H, et al (2000). Cytochrome P450 2E1 polymorphism in gastric cancer in Brazil: casecontrol studies of Japanese Brazilians and Non-Japanese Brazilians. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 9, 675-80.
- Persson I, Johansson I, Bergling H, et al (1993). Genetic polymorphism of cytochrome P4502E1 in a Swedish population. Relationship to incidence of lung cancer. FEBS Lett, 319, 207-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(93)80547-8
- RefSeq (2008). (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/1571).
- Russo A, Maconi G, Spinelli P, et al (2001). Effect of lifestyle, smoking, and diet on development of intestinal metaplasia in H. pylori-positive subjects. Am J Gastroenterol, 96, 1402-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2001.03773.x
- Saeed HM, Alanazi MS, Nounou HA, et al (2013). Cytochrome P450 1A1, 2E1 and GSTM1 gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to colorectal cancer in the Saudi Population. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 3761-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3761
- Shahriary GM, Galehdari H, Jalali A, et al (2012). CYP2E1*5B, CYP2E1*6, CYP2E1*7B, CYP2E1*2, and CYP2E1*3 allele frequencies in Iranian populations. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 6505-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6505
- Tan W, Song N, Wang GQ, et al (2000). Impact of genetic polymorphisms in cytochrome P450 2E1 and glutathione S-transferases M1, T1, and P1 on susceptibility to esophageal cancer among high-risk individuals in China. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 9, 551-6.
- Tian Z, Li YL, Zhao L, et al (2012). CYP2E1 RsaI/PstI polymorphism and liver cancer risk among East Asians: a HuGE review and meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4915-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4915
- Molecular Links between Alcohol and Tobacco Induced DNA Damage, Gene Polymorphisms and Patho-physiological Consequences: A Systematic Review of Hepatic Carcinogenesis vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4803
- Association of toll-like receptor 2 ∆22 and risk for gastric cancer considering main effects and interactions with smoking: a matched case-control study from Mizoram, India vol.37, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-016-4982-5
- Association between CYP2E1 polymorphisms and risk of gastric cancer: An updated meta-analysis of 32 case-control studies vol.4, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2016.824
- EGCG Suppresses ERK5 Activation to Reverse Tobacco Smoke-Triggered Gastric Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in BALB/c Mice vol.8, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8070380