- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Clinical Characteristics and Helicobacter pylori Status of Gastric Cancer in Thailand
- Vilaichone, Ratha-Korn (GI Unit, Department of Medicine, Thammasat University Hospital) ;
- Panarat, Wirat (GI Unit, Department of Medicine, Thammasat University Hospital) ;
- Aekpongpaisit, Surasak (GI and Liver Center, Smithivej Hospital) ;
- Mahachai, Voracha (GI and Liver Center, Bangkok Medical Center)
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: Gastric cancer is the second leading course of cancer death worldwide and H. pylori infection is an important risk factor for gastric cancer development. This study was design to evaluate the clinical, pathological features, survival rate and prevalence of H. pylori infection in gastric cancer in Thailand. Materials and Methods: Clinical information, histological features, endoscopic findings and H. pylori status were collected from gastric cancer patients from Thammasat university hospital during June 1996-December 2011. H. pylori infection was assessed by histological evaluation, rapid urease test and serological test. Clinical information, endoscopic findings and histopathology of all patients were recorded and compared between patients with active or non-active H. pylori infection. Results: A total of 100 gastric cancer patients (55 men and 45 women with mean age of
Gastric cancer;H. pylori;clinicopathological status;Thailand
- Asaka M, Kato M, Sakamoto N (2014). Roadmap to eliminate gastric cancer with Helicobacter pylori eradication and consecutive surveillance in Japan. J Gastroenterol, 49, 1-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-013-0897-8
- Abebaw W, M Kibret, B Abera (2014). Prevalence and risk factors of H. pylori from dyspeptic patients in northwest Ethiopia: a hospital based cross-sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4459
- Basiri Z, R Safaralizadeh, MJ Bonyadi, et al (2014). Helicobacter pylori vacA d1 genotype predicts risk of gastric adenocarcinoma and peptic ulcers in northwestern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1575-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1575
- Demirel BB, BE Akkas, GU Vural (2013). Clinical factors related with Helicobacter pylori infection--is there an association with gastric cancer history in first-degree family members? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1797-02. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1797
- Chua TS, Fock KM, Chan YH, et al (2002). Seroreactivity to 19.5-kDa antigen in combination with absence of seroreactivity to 35-kDa antigen is associated with an increased risk of gastric adenocarcinoma. Helicobacter, 7, 257-64. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5378.2002.00089.x
- Fock KM, Talley N, Moayyedi P, et al (2008). Asia-Pacific consensus guidelines on gastric cancer prevention. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 23, 351-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2008.05314.x
- Hazell SL, Hennessy WB, Borody TJ, et al (1987). Campylobacter pyloridis gastritis. II. Distribution of bacteria and associated inflammation in the gastroduodenal environment. Am J Gastroenterol, 82, 297-301.
- Lin WL, Sun JL, Chang SC, et al (2014). Factors predicting survival of patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5835-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5835
- Huang J-Q, Sridhar S, Chen Y, et al (1998). Meta-analysis of the relationship between Helicobacter pylori seropositivity and gastric cancer. Gastroenterology, 1148, 1167-9.
- IARC (1994). "Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori. IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Lyon, 7-14 June 1994." IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum, 61, 1-241.
- Karami N, Talebkhan Y, Saberi S, et al (2013). Seroreactivity to Helicobacter pylori antigens as a risk indicator of gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1813-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1813
- Mahachai V, Vilaichone RK (2011). Current Status of Helicobacter pylori Infection in Thailand. Helicobacter Res 15, 38-44.
- Martin-de Argila C, Boixeda D, Redondo C, et al (1997). Relation between histologic subtypes and location of gastric cancer and Helicobacter pylori. Scand J Gastroenterol, 32, 303-7. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365529709007676
- Nomura A, Stemmermann GN, Chyou P-H, et al (1991). Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric carcinoma among Japanese Americans in Hawaii. N Engl J Med, 325, 1132-6. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199110173251604
- Ono S, Kato M, Suzuki M, et al (2012). Frequency of Helicobacter pylori -negative gastric cancer and gastric mucosal atrophy in a Japanese endoscopic submucosal dissection series including histological, endoscopic and serological atrophy. Digestion, 86, 59-65. https://doi.org/10.1159/000339176
- Parsonnet J, Friedman GD, Vandersteen DP, et al (1991). Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med, 325, 1127-31. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199110173251603
- Robey-Cafferty SS1, Ro JY, Cleary KR (1989). The prevalence of Campylobacter pylori in gastric biopsy from cancer patients. Mod Pathol, 2, 473-476.
- Vilaichone RK, Mahachai V, Graham DY (2006). Helicobacter pylori: Diagnosis and management. Gastroenterol Clin North Am, 35, 229-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2006.03.004
- Sano H, Goto R, Hamashima C (2014). What is the most effective strategy for improving the cancer screening rate in Japan? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2607-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2607
- Talley NJ, Zinsmeister AR, Weaver A, et al (2001). Gastric carcinoma and Helicobacter pylori infection. J Natl Cancer Inst, 83, 1734-9.
- Uemura N, S Okamoto, S Yamamoto, et al (2001). Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med, 345, 784-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa001999
- Vilaichone RK, Mahachai V, Kositchaiwat C, Graham DY, Yamaoka Y (2003). Relation between seroreactivity to lowmolecular-weight Helicobacter pylori-specific antigens and disease presentation. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol, 10, 1025-8.
- Effects of the CYP2C19 Genetic Polymorphism on Gastritis, Peptic Ulcer Disease, Peptic Ulcer Bleeding and Gastric Cancer vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10957
- Genotyping of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor gamma in Iranian Patients with Helicobacter pylori Infection vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5219
- Seven-Day Bismuth-based Quadruple Therapy as an Initial Treatment for Helicobacter pylori Infection in a High Metronidazole Resistant Area vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6089
- Late Stage and Grave Prognosis of Esophageal Cancer in Thailand vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1747
- Antibiotic Resistant Pattern of Helicobacter Pylori Infection Based on Molecular Tests in Laos vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.285
- Extremely High Prevalence of Metronidazole-Resistant Helicobacter pylori Strains in Mountain People (Karen and Hmong) in Thailand vol.94, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.15-0449
- Helicobacter pylori virulence genes of minor ethnic groups in North Thailand vol.9, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13099-017-0205-x