- Volume 58 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Perception of Middle School Teachers about the Environmental Problem
환경문제에 대한 중학교 교사들의 인식
Park, Jaemoon;Lee, Sujin;Moon, Seongbae
- Received : 2014.03.03
- Accepted : 2014.09.06
- Published : 2014.12.20
Environmental education, effectively performed at school, is very important to solve the environmental problems. Moreover the survey for teacher's perception is essential. The purpose of the study was to investigate the perception of environmental problems of middle school teachers in Pusan. The survey was done twice in 2007 and 2012, and based on the time intervals, careers, and major of the teachers. 200 teachers were chosen in 2007 and 300 teachers in 2012. How many environmental problems occurred during this time period affected the 471 teachers' perception was investigated and analyzed. The results are as follows. First, the perception difference of environmental problems was meaningful between two time intervals (p<.01). Especially, the perception of modern environmental problems and carbon emission showed considerable increase in both science and non-science major teachers. This may be caused by the climate change and the severity of lifestyles of indiscriminate consumerism. Second, the perception difference of environmental problems by careers was also meaningful (p<.01). Overall, the perception was obvious on the aspects of modern environmental problems, carbon emission, destruction of ozone layers, nuclear wastes, environmental hormones, and red tides. Teachers, having more careers irrespective of their teaching subjects, showed higher perception on the seriousness of environmental pollution, the necessity of environmental conservation, and the importance of health. Third, the perception of environmental problems between science and non-science major teachers was meaningful (p<.01). Particularly, the perception in the broad environmental problems was distinctive between them.
Perception of environmental problem;Carbon emission;Destruction of ozon layer;Nuclear waste;Environmental hormone
- Lee, S. C.; Choi, D. H. J. Kor. Environ. Edu. 2010, 23(1), 27.
- Bae, S.S. A Study on the Direction of in-service Training for Teachers' Professional Advancement in Environmental Education. Master Thesis, Seoul National University of Education, 2008.
- Kim, C. H. J. Dem. Civic Edu. 1998, 3(1), 33.
- Cheong, C. J. Kor. Environ. Edu. 2011, 24(1), 76.
- Postma, D. W. Why Care for Nature?; Springer: Dordrecht, 2006.
- Kim, T. H.; Nam, H. W.; Shin, H. C.; Cho, K. H. J. Kor. Environ. Edu. 1999, 12(1), 245.
- Ministry of Environment. People Consciousness Survey Report of Green Growth and Environmental Education, Ministry of Environment, 2009.
- Kim, J. W. An Analysis of the Relations between Environmental Literacy and Environmental Education of Elementary School Teachers. Master Thesis, DaeGu National University of Education, 2012.
- Korean Environment Education Association Today's Environment; DongBangKiwhoik: Seoul, 1994.
- Ministry of Environment. Environmental White Book 2012, Ministry of Environment, 2012.
- Tamir, P. J. Environ. Edu. 1991, 22(2), 34.
- Lee, S. K. Theory of Environmental Education, Environmental Education Leader Education Book; Environmental Education Information Center: Seoul, 1998.
- Seo, W. S. J. Kor. Agr. Edu. 2003, 35(2), 1.
- Han, S. H. J. Nat. Sci. SoonChunHyang Univ. 2001, 7(1), 53.
- Yoon, K. H. Development of Environmental Education Material about Water Shortage Problems Based on the Sustaintability Theories and the Holistic Approach. Master Thesis, Korea National University of Education, 2004.
- Nam, S. J.; Kim, D. S.; Kim, D. L.; Lee, S. B.; Han, S. I. Principles and Practice of Environmental Education; WonMiSa: Seoul, 1999.
- Lee, K. M. A Study on the Environmental Consciousness of Elementary School Teachers and Students, Master Thesis, Seoul National University of Education, 2008.
- Choe, D. H.; Son, Y. A.; Lee, M. O.; Lee, S. H. Teaching and Learning Theory of Environmental Education, Kyo-YookKwaHakSa: Seoul, 2007.
- Lee, D. H. The Attitude Survey for Environmental Education of Elementary School Teachers in Daejeon. Master Thesis, DaeJeon University, 2002.
- Kweon, O. H. Elementary School Teacher's Attitude and Practice of Environmental Education. Master Thesis, Korea National University of Education, 1994.
- Kang, S. J. A Study on the Middle School Teachers' Perception of Environmental Education. Master Thesis. Kang-Won National University, 2001.
- Chae, S. W. A Study on the Attitudes of Junior School Teachers toward Environmental Education in Seoul. Master Thesis, Seoul National University, 1986.
- Shin, E. W. A Study of Elementary School In-service and Pre-service Teachers' Attitude and Knowledge Level on the Modern Environmental Problems. Master Thesis, Busan National University of Education, 2007.
- McMichael, D. F.; Strom, A. Teaching Science for an Understanding of Our Total Environmental and the Need for Conservation; Insights into Environmental Education; Martin, G. C., Wheeler, K. S., Eds.; Oliver & Boyd: Edinburgh Scotland, 1975; pp 29-47.
- Han, J. E. Secondary School Scientific Teachers Perceptions of Teaching Environmental Issue within the Science Curriculum: Seoul and JunlaDo Perspective. Master Thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2005.
- Choe, S. J. Environment and Ecology of High School; DaeHanTextbook: Seoul, 2002.
- Choe, S. J. Guidebook for Teacher of Environment and Ecology of High School; DaeHanTextbook: Seoul, 2005.
Supported by : the Korean Chemical Society