- Volume 58 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Comparison Analysis of Science Writing Tasks in the Chemistry Domain of Middle School Science Textbooks Developed under the 2007 & the 2009 Revised National Curriculums (RNC)
2007 개정·2009 개정 중학교 과학 교과서 화학영역에 사용된 과학 글쓰기 문항의 비교 분석
- Received : 2014.08.05
- Accepted : 2014.09.18
- Published : 2014.12.20
In this study, we sampled science writing tasks and investigated their frequency of use shown in the chemistry domain from two sets of 18 middle school science textbooks developed under the 2007 Revised National Curriculum(RNC) and the 2009 RNC, respectively. In addition, we categorized the sampled science writing tasks depending on the cognitive process and type of writing and compared with the results obtained from analysis of global issues presented in the science writings. From the textbooks developed under the 2007 RNC, a total of 183 science writing tasks were identified in which 10.17 tasks per textbook and 1.32 tasks per 10 pages were used averagely. A total of 168 were identified from the textbooks for the 2009 RNC. Among them, 9.33 tasks per textbook and 1.23 tasks per 10 pages were used on average. Comparing with these results, the average frequency of use of the tasks per textbook and per ten pages were decreased, respectively. Moreover, the number of science writing tasks were found in each curriculum varied considerably depending on the units and the publishers, and that the writing tasks were mainly arranged in the finale, wrapping up stage. In the analysis of science writing tasks according to the cognitive process, the highest and lowest frequency of use were observed in the category of 'understand' and 'remember', respectively. According to the classification of science writing tasks based on the types of writing, the writings for the information delivery were most used and the highest frequency of use was observed in the category of 'understand' of the cognitive process belonging to 'information delivery'. As for the results of the analysis of global issues, the number of science writing tasks including global issues increased from 21(11.48%) in the 2007 RNC to 33(19.64%) in the 2009 RNC. Furthermore, science writing tasks associated with protection of environment showed the highest frequency of use in the both curriculums, and it was analyzed that the materials of global issues used in the 2009 RNC were much more diverse.
Science writing;Science writing task;Middle school science textbook;2007 Revised National Curriculum;2009 Revised National Curriculum
- Lee, J. The Principle and Method of Writing Education; Kyobobook: Seoul, Korea, 2002; p 228.
- Koo, S.; Park, I. J. of Korean Elementary Sci. Edu. 2012, 31(4), 463.
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development. National Curriculum of Science; Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development: Seoul, Korea, 2007; pp 222-251.
- Ministry of Education. National Curriculum of Science; Ministry of Education: Seoul, Korea, 2011; pp 4-77.
- Wallace, C. S.; Hand, B. H.; Prain, V. Writing and learning in Science Classroom; Kluwer Academic: Dordrecht, Boston, 2004; p 148.
- Rivard, L. P. J. Res. Sci. Teaching 1994, 31(2), 969. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660310910
- Prain, V. Int. J. Sci. Edu. 2006, 28(2), 179. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690500336643
- Eo, S.; Jo, H. J. Korea Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2012, 32(1), 182.
- Hodson, D. Teaching and Learning Science: Towards a Personalized Approach; Open University Press: Buckingham, Philadelphia, 1998; p 200.
- Keys, C. W.; Hand, B.; Prain, V.; Collins, S. J. Res. Sci. Teaching 1999, 36(10), 1065. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199912)36:10<1065::AID-TEA2>3.0.CO;2-I
- Son, J. J. Curriculum of Evaluation 2006, 9(2), 333.
- Park, H.; Kang, S. J. Korean Chem. Soc. 2013, 57(6), 845. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2013.57.6.845
- Bae, H.; Jhun, Y.; Hong, J. J. of Korean Elementary Sci. Educ. 2009, 28(2), 178.
- Keys, C. W. J. Res. Sci. Teaching 2000, 37(7), 676. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200009)37:7<676::AID-TEA4>3.0.CO;2-6
- Klein, P. D. Educational Psychology Review 1999, 11(3), 203. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021913217147
- Jeong, H.; Song, J. J. Korea Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2004, 24(5), 1008.
- Cha, H.; Kim, C.; Maeng, S.; J. Korean Earth Sci. Soc. 2011, 32(1), 84. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2011.32.1.84
- Moon, K.; Moon, J.; Jo, M.; Jeong, Y.; Kim, S.; Joseph, K. J. Korea Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2012, 32(5), 789.
- Kim, S.; Beak, J. J. Sci. Edu. 2006, 31, 21.
- Mun, J.; Song, J.; Kim, S. J. Korea. Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2012, 32(5), 890.
- Wellignton, J.; Osborne, J. Language and Literacy in Science Education; Open University Press: Buckingham, Philadelphia, 2001; pp 187-200.
- Cheon, J.; Song, J. J. Curriculum of Evaluation 2004, 7(2), 285.
- Mason, L.; Boscolo, P. Instructional Science 2000, 28, 199. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1003854216687
- Sadler, T.; Zeidler, D. Science Education 2002, 88(1), 4.
- Cho, H.; Kim, H.; Yoon, H.; Lee, K. Theory and Actuality of Science Education; Kyoyookbook: Seoul, Koea, 2011; pp 478-482.
- Anderson, L. W.; Krathwhol, D. R.; Bloom, B. S. A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching and Assessing; Longman: New York, 2001; pp 30-36.
- Park, T. Korean Language Education Research 1999, 9(1), 199.
- Kim, S.; Yoo, H.; Choi, K. J. Leaner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction 2012, 12(2), 73.
- Bhargava, V. K., Eds.; Global Issues for Global Citizens: An Introduction to Key Development Challenges; World bank: Washington D.C., 2006; p 230.
- Kang, S.; Bang, D.; Kim, S. J. Korean Chem. Soc. 2012, 56(6), 739. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2012.56.6.739
- Koo, S.; Park, I. J. Korean Elementary Sci. Edu. 2010, 29(4), 427.
- Kwon, N.; Lee, K. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2010, 30(1), 1.
- Shin, J.; Shin, Y.; Yoon, H.; Woo, A. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2013, 33(2), 511. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.2.511
- Nam, K. Middle School Students' Learning Difficulty Caused by Scientific Terminology and Ways to Solve it via Writing Using Scientific Terminology. Ph. D. Thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2008.
- Lee, H.; Choi, K. Subject and Pedagogy Research 2004, 8(3), 421.
- Sim, G.; Song, S. Biology Education 2011, 39(2), 288. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2011.39.2.288
- Kim, M. J. Korea. Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2009, 29(8), 840.
- Kim, T.; Ko, S.; Kim, B. J. Korea. Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2005, 25(5), 624.
- Jang, K.; Nam, J.; Choi, A. J. Korea. Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2012, 32(7), 1099.
- Driver, R.; Newton, P.; Osborne, J. Science Education 2000, 84(3), 287. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(200005)84:3<287::AID-SCE1>3.0.CO;2-A
- Choi, Y.; Lim, H. Subject and Pedagogy Research 2013, 17(3), 891.