- Volume 38 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Specimen Orientation on Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior in Friction Stir Welded Al7075-T651 Joints
마찰교반용접된 Al7075-T651 용접부의 피로균열전파 거동에 미치는 시험편 채취방향의 영향
- Jeong, Yeui Han (Graduate School of Mechanical Design Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Seon Jin (Dept. of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2014.02.04
- Accepted : 2014.08.18
- Published : 2014.12.01
The aim of this paper is to investigate the effects of crack orientation on fatigue crack growth behavior in friction stir welded (FSWed) Al 7075-T651. Fatigue crack growth testing was conducted on compact tension (CT) specimens machined from the friction stir welds and the base metal under constant stress intensity factor range control. Tests were performed with the crack propagating nominally perpendicular to the weld line (termed the TL specimen) and the crack propagating in a parallel direction of the weld line (termed the LT specimen), and with three different constant stress intensity factor ranges. Both these specimen orientations were found to have a considerable effect on the fatigue crack growth behavior. Paris's law was adopted for the analysis of experimental results; the exponent m of the WM-LT specimen was determined to be 3.56, which was the largest value in this experimental conditions.
Fatigue Crack Growth;Friction Stir Welding;Specimen Orientation;Constant Stress Intensity Factor Range
- Mishra, R. S. and Ma, Z. Y., 2005, "Friction Stir Welding and Processing," Materials Science and Engineering, R 50, pp. 1-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mser.2005.07.001
- Zhao, T., Zhang, J. and Jiang, Y., 2008, "A Study of Fatigue Crack Growth of 7075-T651 Aluminum Alloy," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 30, pp. 1169-1180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2007.09.006
- Lee, E. U., Glinka, G., Vasudevan, A. K., Iyyer, N. and Phan, N. D., 2009, "Fatigue of 7075-T651 Aluminum Alloy Under Constant and Variable Amplitude Loadings," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 31, pp. 1858-1864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2008.11.013
- Suh, C. M., Kim, C. and Kim, T. J., 2011, "VHCF Characteristics of A7075-T651 under Pressure Variation by Shot Peening Treatment," Trans. Korean Soc. Ocean Eng., Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 72-79. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2011.25.6.072
- Jeong, Y. H. and Kim, S. J., 2013, "Experimental Investigation of Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior in Friction Stir Welded 7075-T651 Aluminum Alloy Joints under Constant Stress Intensity Factor Range Control Testing," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 775-782. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.6.775
- Jeong, Y. H. and Kim, S. J., 2013, "Spatial Randomness of Fatigue Crack Growth Rate in Friction Stir Welded 7075-T651 Aluminum Alloy Welded Joints," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 9, pp. 1109-1116. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.9.1109
- Kim, C. O. and Kim, S. J., 2011, "Effects of Welding Condition on Tensile Properties of Friction Stir Welded Joints of Al7075-T651 Plates," Trans. Korean Soc. Pow. Sys. Eng., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 61-68.
- http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/catalog/pdf/, Alloy 7075 Plate and Sheet
- Kim, C. O., Sohn, H. J. and Kim, S. J., 2011, "Effects of Welding Condition on Hardness and Microstructure of Friction Stir Welded Joints of Al7075-T651 Plates," Trans. Korean Soc. Pow. Sys. Eng., Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 58-64. https://doi.org/10.9726/kspse.2011.15.3.058
- ASTM E 647-00, 2002, "Standard Test Method for Measurement of Fatigue Crack Growth Rates," Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 03. 01, MD, U.S.A., pp. 603-644.
- Paris, P. C. and Erdogan, F., 1960, "A Critical Analysis of Crack Propagation Laws," Journal of Basic Engineering, Vol. 85, pp. 528-534.