- Volume 38 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Spring Rate and Initial Failure Load due to Material Properties of Composite Leaf Spring
복합재 판스프링의 재료특성에 따른 스프링 강성변화와 초기 파단하중 예측
- Received : 2014.05.27
- Accepted : 2014.08.25
- Published : 2014.12.01
This paper presented analysis methods for adapting E-glass fiber/epoxy composite (GFRP) materials to an automotive leaf spring. It focused on the static behaviors of the leaf spring due to the material composition and its fiber orientation. The material properties of the GFRP composite were directly measured based on the ASTM standard test. A reverse implementation was performed to obtain the complete set of in-situ fiber and matrix properties from the ply test results. Next, the spring rates of the composite leaf spring were examined according to the variation of material parameters such as the fiber angles and resin contents of the composite material. Finally, progressive failure analysis was conducted to identify the initial failure load by means of an elastic stress analysis and specific damage criteria. As a result, it was found that damage first occurred along the edge of the leaf spring owing to the shear stresses.
Leaf Spring;Spring Rate;GFRP;FEM;Progressive Failure Analysis
- Kim, K. S., Bae, K. M., Oh, S. Y. and Seo, M. K., 2012, "Trend of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Composites for Lightweight Vehicles," Elastomers and Composites, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 65-74. https://doi.org/10.7473/EC.2012.47.1.065
- Oh, S. H. and Choi, B. L. 2014, "Analytical and Experimental Study for Development of Composite Coil Springs," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 31-36. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.1.031
- Ellul, B., Camilleri, D. and Betts, J. C., 2013, "A Progressive Failure Analysis Applied to Fiber-Reinforced Composite Plates Subject to Out-of-Plane Bending," Mechanics of Composite Materials, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 605-620.
- Bogdanovich, A. E., 2006, "Multi-Scale Modeling, Stress and Failure Analyses of 3-D Woven Composites," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 41, No. 20, pp. 6547-6590. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-006-0197-2
- Kang, M. S., Park, H. S., Choi, J. H. and Koo, J. M., 2012, "Prediction of Fracture Strength of Woven CFRP Laminates According to Fiber Orientation," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 8, pp. 881-887. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.8.881
- Jeffrey Kueh, J. T. and Faris, T., 2012 "Finite Element Analysis on the Static and Fatigue Characteristics of Composite Multi-Leaf Spring," Journal of Zhejiang University A, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 159-164.
- Kim, S. Y., Geum, J. H., Koo, J. M. and Seok., C. S., 2010, "Study of Failure Criterion of Hole-Notched Plain-Weave Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Composites," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, No. 295, pp. 481-486. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.4.481
- ASTM Annual Book of Standards, 2001.
- GENOA Technical Manual. Ver. 5. 2013, AlphaStar.
- Hull, D., 1981, An Introduction to Composite Materials, Cambridge Univ. Press, pp. 102-124.
- Shokrieh, M. M., Torabizadeh, M. A. and Fereidoon, A., 2012, "Progressive Failure Analysis of Glass/Epoxy Composites at Low Temperatures," Strength of Materials, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 314-324. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-012-9384-3
- Study on the Linear Static Structural Analysis Error of Helical Compression Springs vol.40, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.2.237