- Volume 38 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Life Prediction of Elastomeric U Seals in Hydraulic/Pneumatic Actuators Using NSWC Handbook
NSWC를 활용한 유공압 액추에이터 U 형 씰의 수명예측
- Shin, Jung Hun (Medical Device Development Center, Daegu-Gyeongbuk Medical Innovation Foundation) ;
- Chang, Mu Seong (Reliability Assessment Center, Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials) ;
- Kim, Sung Hyun (Reliability Assessment Center, Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials) ;
- Jung, Dong Soo (Reliability Assessment Center, Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials)
- 신정훈 (대구경북첨단의료산업진흥재단 첨단의료기기개발지원센터) ;
- 장무성 (한국기계연구원 신뢰성평가센터) ;
- 김성현 (한국기계연구원 신뢰성평가센터) ;
- 정동수 (한국기계연구원 신뢰성평가센터)
- Received : 2014.02.21
- Accepted : 2014.08.24
- Published : 2014.12.01
Even the rough prediction of the product test time before the lifetime test of mechanical component begins would be of use in estimating cost and deciding how to keep up with the test. The reliability predictions of mechanical components are difficult because failure or degradation mechanisms are complicated, and few plausible databases are available for lifetime prediction. Therefore, this study conducted lifetime predictions of elastomeric U seals that were respectively installed in a hydraulic actuator and a pneumatic actuator using lifetime models and a field database based on failure physics and an actual test database obtained from the NSWC handbook. To validate the results, the predicted failure rates were compared with the actual lifetime test results acquired in the lab durability tests. Finally, this study discussed an engineering procedure to determine the coefficients in the failure rate models and analyzed the sensitivity of each influential parameter on the seal lifetime.
Reliability Prediction;Elastomeric Seal;Naval Surface Warfare Center;Failure Rate Model
- MIL-HDBK-217F, 1995, Reliability Prediction of Electronic Equipment, Department of Defense.
- EPRD-97, 1997, Electronic Parts Reliability Data-97, Reliability Information Analysis Center, Utica.
- NPRD-2011, 2011, Non-Electronic Parts Reliability Data-2011, Reliability Information Analysis Center, Utica.
- OREDA-2009, 2009, Offshore Reliability Data Handbook, Det Norske Veritas, Hovik.
- NSWC-2011, 2011, Handbook of Reliability Prediction Procedures for Mechanical Equipment, Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division, Maryland.
- RS B 0099, 2009, Hydraulic Cylinder for Excavator, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards.
- Jeong, D. U., Yun, H. S., Kwon, D. S., and Lee, S. H., 2011, "A Study on Method of Predicting Failure Rates of Fastening Parts," Journal of Applied Reliability, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 305-318.
- ISO 19973-3, 2007, Pneumatic Fluid Power-Assessment of Component Reliability by Testing Part 3: Cylinders with Piston Rod, International Standard Organization.
- JIS B 8367, 1999, Hydraulic Cylinder, Japanese Standards Association.
- Kang, B. S. and Lee, Y. B., 2010, "Reliability Evaluation Technology for Pneumatic Cylinder," Journal of The Korean Society for Fluid Power & Construction Equipments, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 27-32.