- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Gender Differences in Effects of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity on Depression in Early Adolescence
초기 청소년기 우울에 대한 주의력 결핍·과잉행동의 영향에 있어서의 성별에 따른 차이
- 최정아 (경일대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2014.07.31
- Accepted : 2014.09.01
- Published : 2014.11.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the associations among attention deficit/hyperactivity, social withdrawal, peer relationships, and depression in early adolescence. Gender differences in the associations were also examined. This study investigated these relationships and the gender differences using structural equation modeling multi-group analysis. The third wave data from Korea Children and Youth Panel Survey (KCYPS) of fourth graders were analyzed. The results indicated that attention deficit/hyperactivity had significant effects on depression directly and indirectly through social withdrawal and peer relationships. These results suggest that new programs should be developed to prevent or alleviate depression associated with attention deficit/hyperactivity among adolescents. Specifically, social withdrawal and peer relationships need to be emphasized in planning prevention or intervention programs to promote mental health of adolescents with attention deficit/hyperactivity.
Attention Deficit.Hyperactivity;Social Withdrawal;Peer Relationships;Depression;Structural Equation Modeling;KCYPS
- J. Biederman, J. Newcorn, and S. Sprich, "Comorbidity of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder with Conduct, Depressive, Anxiety, and Other Disorders," The American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.148, No.5, pp.564-577, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.148.5.564
- J. C. Anderson, S. Williams, R. McGee, and P. A. Silva, "DSM-III Disorders in Preadolescent Children: Prevalence in a Large Sample from the General Population," Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol.44, No.1, pp.69-76, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1987.01800130081010
- H. R. Bird, G. Canino, M. Rubio-Stipec, M. S. Gould, J. Ribera, and M. Sesman, "Estimates of the Prevalence of Childhood Maladjustment in a Community Survey in Puerto Rico: The Use of Combined Measures," Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol.45, No.12, pp.1120-1126, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1988.01800360068010
- J. B. Jensen, N. Burke, and B. D. Garfinkel, "Depression and Symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity," Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol.27, No.6, pp.742-747, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-198811000-00013
- K. L. Humphreys, S. J. Katz, S. S. Lee, C. Hammen, P. A. Brennan, and J. M. Najman, "The Association of ADHD and Depression: Mediation by Peer Problems and Parent-Child Difficulties in Two Complementary Samples," Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol.122, No.3, pp.854-867, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0033895
- American Psychiatric Association, The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: Fifth Edition(DSM 5), Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- J. Biederman, E. Mick, and S. V. Faraone, "Depression in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Children: "True" Depression or Demoralization?," Journal of Affective Disorders, Vol.47, No.1, pp.113-122, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0327(97)00127-4
- 이혜순, "청소년의 가족기능, 충동성, 스트레스 수준이 집단따돌림 유형에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제2호, pp.319-329, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.02.319
- 장성화, 천영희, 함성수, "대학생의 교우관계, 역기능 가정이 대학생활적응에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제6호, pp.539-548, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.06.539
- J. Gershon, "A Meta-Analytic Review of Gender Differences in ADHD," Journal of Attention Disorders, Vol.5, No.3, pp.143-154, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/108705470200500302
- K. H. Rubin, R. J. Coplan, and J. C. Bowker, "Social Withdrawal in Childhood," Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.60, pp.141-171, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.60.110707.163642
- S. J. Katz, C. C. Conway, C. L. Hammen, P. A. Brennan, and J. M. Najman, "Childhood Social Withdrawal, Interpersonal Impairment, and Young Adult Depression: A Mediational Model," Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Vol.39, No.8, pp.1227-1238, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-011-9537-z
- 김설연, 하지현, 황원숙, 유재학, "지역 저소득층 아동의 우울증상과 주의력결핍-과잉행동증상에서 사회경제적 요소의 관련성", 소아청소년정신의학, 제20권, 제2호, pp.76-81, 2009.
- B. J. Leadbeater, S. J. Blatt, and D. M. Quinlan, "Gender-Linked Vulnerabilities to Depressive Symptoms, Stress, and Problem Behaviors in Adolescents," Journal of Research on Adolescence, Vol.5, No.1, pp.1-29, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327795jra0501_1
- H. Shih, N. K. Eberhart, C. L. Hammen, and P. A. Brennan, "Differential Exposure and Reactivity to Interpersonal Stress Predict Sex Differences in Adolescent Depression," Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, Vol.35, No.1, pp.103-115, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp3501_9
- A. Angold, E. J. Costello, and A. Erkanli, "Comorbidity," Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.40, No.1, pp.57-87, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00424
- 신희선, 김정미, "주의력결핍 과잉행동장애 위험 요인에 따른 어머니의 양육스트레스, 우울 및 아동문제행동 간의 관계분석", 대한간호학회지 제40권, 제3호, pp.453-461, 2012.
- B. F. Andrade and R. Tannock, "The Direct Effects of Inattention and Hyperactivity/Impulsivity on Peer Problems and Mediating Roles of Prosocial and Conduct Problem Behaviors in a Community Sample of Children," Journal of Attention Disorders, Vol.17, No.8, pp.670-680, 2012.
- B. Hoza, S. Mrug, A. C. Gerdes, S. P. Hinshaw, W. M. Bukowski, and J. A. Gold, "What Aspects of Peer Relationships are Impaired in Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?," Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol.73, No.3, pp.411-423, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.73.3.411
- C. E. Cunningham, L. S. Siegel, and D. R. Offord, "A Developmental Dose-Response Analysis of the Effects of Methylphenidate on the Peer Interactions of Attention Deficit Disordered Boys," Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.26, No.6, pp.955-971, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1985.tb00609.x
- C. K. Whalen and B. Henker, "The Social Profile of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Five Fundamental Facets," Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Vol.1, pp.395-410, 1992.
- L. Chang, L. Lei, K. K. Li, H. Liu, B. Guo, and Y. Wang, "Peer Acceptance and Self-Perceptions of Verbal and Behavioural Aggression and Social Withdrawal," International Journal of Behavioral Development, Vol.29, No.1, pp.48-57, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/01650250444000324
- 신동원, 이승민, "주의력결핍 과잉행동장애 아동에서 집단따돌림 양상", 소아청소년정신의학, 제20권, 제2호, pp.90-96, 2009.
- S. J. Yang, J. M. Kim, S. W. Kim, I. S. Shin, and J. S. Yoon, "Bullying and Victimization Behaviors in Boys and Girls at South Korean Primary Schools," Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol.45, No.1, pp.69-77, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.chi.0000186401.05465.2c
- K. H. Rubin, and R. J. Coplan, "Paying Attention to and not Neglecting Social Withdrawal and Social Isolation," Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, Vol.50, No.4, pp.506-534, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1353/mpq.2004.0036
- K. H. Rubin, J. C. Wojslawowicz, L. Rose-Krasnor, C. Booth-LaForce, and K. B. Burgess, "The Best Friendships of Shy/Withdrawn Children: Prevalence, Stability, and Relationship Quality," Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Vol.34, No.2, pp.139-153, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-005-9017-4
- A. Bowker, W. Bukowski, S. Zargarpour, and B. Hoza, "A Structural and Functional Analysis of a Two-Dimensional Model of Withdrawal," Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, Vol.44, pp.447-463, 1998.
- X. Chen, A. T. DeSouza, H. Chen, and L. Wang, "Reticent Behavior and Experiences in Peer Interactions in Chinese and Canadian Children," Developmental Psychology, Vol.42, No.4, pp.656-665, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1686
- M. Boivin and S. Hymel, "Peer Experiences and Social Self Perceptions: A Sequential Model," Developmental Psychology, Vol.33, pp.135-145, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.124
- L. Mayeux, A. D. Bellmore, and A. H. N. Cillessen, "Predicting Changes in Adjustment Using Repeated Measures of Sociometric Status," Journal of Genetic Psychology, Vol.168, No.4, pp.401-424, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3200/GNTP.168.4.401-424
- K. Deater-Deckard, "Annotation: Recent Research Examining the Role of Peer Relationships in the Development of Psychopathology," Journal of child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.42, No.5, pp.565-579, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00753
- A. F. Newcomb, W. M. Bukowski, and L. Pattee, "Children's Peer Relations: A Meta-Analytic Review of Popular, Rejected, Neglected, Controversial, and Average Sociometric Status," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.113, No.1, pp.99-128, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.113.1.99
- M. Boivin, S. Hymel, and W. Bukowski, "The Roles of Social Withdrawal, Peer Rejection, and Victimization by Peers in Predicting Loneliness and Depressed Mood in Childhood," Development and Psychopathology, Vol.7, No.4, pp.765-785, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400006830
- C. Capdevila-Brophy, J. Artigas-Pallares, J. B. Navarro-Pastor, K. Garcia-Nonell, E. Rigau-Ratera, and J. E. Obiols, "ADHD Predominantly Inattentive Subtype with High Sluggish Cognitive Tempo: A New Clinical Entity?," Journal of Attention Disorders, Advance online publication, 2012(5).
- A. Caspi, T. E. Moffitt, D. L. Newman, and P. A. Silva, "Behavioral Observations at Age 3 Years Predict Adult Psychiatric Disorders: Longitudinal Evidence from a Birth Cohort," Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol.53, No.11, pp.1033-1039, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1996.01830110071009
- J. Kim, R. M. Rapee, O. K. Ja, and H. S. Moon, "Retrospective Report of Social Withdrawal during Adolescence and Current Maladjustment in Young Adulthood: Cross-Cultural Comparisons between Australian and South Korean Students," Journal of Adolescence, Vol.31, No.5, pp.543-563, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2007.10.011
- K. H. Rubin, X. Chen, P. McDougall, A. Bowker, and J. McKinnon, "The Waterloo Longitudinal Project: Predicting Internalizing and Externalizing Problems in Adolescence," Development and Psychopathology, Vol.7, No.4, pp.751-764, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400006829
- C. L. Carlson and M. Mann, "Sluggish Cognitive Tempo Predicts a Different Pattern of Impairment in the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type," Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, Vol.31, No.1, pp.123-129, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15374424JCCP3101_14
- J. B. Hodgens, J. Cole, and J. Boldizar, "Peer-Based Differences among Boys with ADHD," Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, Vol.29, No.3, pp.443-452, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15374424JCCP2903_15
- J. M. Morganelli, The Relation between Attentional Difficulties in Preschool and Social Interaction Skills and Mastery Behavior in Second Grade, Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Boston College, 2001.
- 한국청소년정책연구원, 한국아동.청소년패널조사(KCYPS) 제1-3차 조사 데이터 유저가이드, 한국청소년정책연구원, 2013.
- 김광일, 김재환, 원호택, 간이 정신진단검사 실시 요강, 서울: 중앙적성연구소, 1984.
- 한국청소년정책연구원, 한국아동.청소년패널조사(KCYPS) 제1-3차 조사 데이터 코드북, 한국 청소년정책연구원, 2013.
- 조붕환, 임경희, "아동의 정서, 행동문제 자기보고형 평정척도 개발 및 타당화 연구", 한국심리학회지 상담 및 심리치료, 제15권, 제4호, pp.729-746, 2003.
- 김선희, 김경연, "아동 및 청소년의 행동 문제척도 개발", 한국가정관리학회지, 제16권, 제4호, pp.155-166, 1998.
- 민병수, 학교생활적응과 자아개념이 학업성취에 미치는 영향, 홍익대학교 석사학위논문, 1991.
- 문선모, "학생의 배경적 특성과 학교적응에 관한 연구", 경상대학교 학생지도연구, 제4집, pp.19-28, 1977.
- 홍세희, 구조방정식 모형의 고급 방법, 서울 : S&M Research Group, 2008.
- 이상필, 학교생활 적응수준에 따른 학업성적 및 행동특성의 차이 분석, 홍익대학교 석사학위논문, 1990.
- P. J. Curran, S. G. West, and J. F. Finch, "The Robustness of Test Statistics to Non-Normality and Specification Error in Confirmatory Factor Analysis," Psychological Methods, Vol.1, No.1, pp.16-29, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.1.1.16
- D. L. Bandalos and S. J. Finney, "Item parceling issues in structural equation modeling," In G. A. Marcoulides and R. E. Schumacker(Eds.), New developments and techniques in structural equation modeling. Hillsdale, N. J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2001.
- L. Hu and P. M. Bentler, "Fit Indices in Covariance Structure Modeling: Sensitivity to Underparameterized Model Misspecification," Psychological Methods, Vol.3, No.4, pp.424-453, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.3.4.424
- L. Hu and P. M. Bentler, "Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus New Alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling, Vol.6, No.1, pp.1-55, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- M. W. Browne and R. Cudeck, "Alternative Ways of Assessing Model Fit. In K. A. Bollen and J. S. Long (Eds.), Testing Structural Equation Models, pp.136-162, Newbury Park, CA: Sage publications, 1993.
- L. J. Nelson, K. H. Rubin, and N. A. Fox, "Social Withdrawal, Observed Peer Acceptance, and the Development of Self-Perceptions in Children Ages 4 to 7 Years," Early Childhood Research Quarterly, Vol.20, No.2, pp.185-200, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2005.04.007
- K. H. Rubin, S. Hymel, and R. S. L. Mills, "Sociability and Social Withdrawal in Childhood: Stability and Outcomes," Journal of Personality, Vol.57, No.2, pp.237-255, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1989.tb00482.x
- B. Vargo, "Are Withdrawn Children at Risk?," Canadian Journal of School Psychology, Vol.11, No.2, pp.166-177, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/082957359601100221
- K. D. Rudolph, C. Hammen, D. Burge, N. Lindberg, D. Herzberg, and S. E. Daley, "Toward an Interpersonal Life-Stress Model of Depression: The Developmental Context of Stress Generation," Development and Psychopathology, Vol.12, No.2, pp.215-234, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400002066
- T. E. Jr. Joiner, "Shyness and Low Social Support as Interactive Diatheses, with Loneliness as Mediator: Testing an Interpersonal Personality View of Vulnerability to Depressive Symptoms," Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol.106, No.3, pp.386-394, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.106.3.386
- B. Hoza, "Peer Functioning in Children with ADHD," Journal of Pediatric Psychology, Vol.32, No.6, pp.655-663, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsm024
- S. Landau, R. Milich, and M. B. Diener, "Peer Relations of Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder," Reading and Writing Quarterly: Overcoming Learning Difficulties, Vol.14, No.1, pp.83-105, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/1057356980140105
- 엄정애, "유아의 식행동과 사회적 능력 및 주의력결핍 과잉행동 간의 관계", 교육과학연구, 제34권, 제2호, pp.57-71, 2003.
- 이현정, 이예진, 신유림, "유아의 부정적 정서성, 주의력 결핍 과잉행동 성향과 또래놀이 상호작용 관계에서 언어능력의 중재영향," Family and Environment Research, 제51권, 제4호, pp.395-401, 2013. https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2013.51.4.395