- Volume 14 Issue 11
This study investigated the effect of cognitive narrowing on the consumers' belief biases in the light of the escape theory. Current study researched the relationship between the cognitive narrowing and the consumers' belief biases. The result of this study is as below. The degree of the consumers' belief biases is higher when the degree of the cognitive narrowing is higher than lower. On the basis of this result, theoretical and practical implications were suggested and the limitations and future research were discussed.
Escape Theory;Cognitive Narrowing;Belief Bias
- J. St. B. T. Evans, How to Do Research: A Psychologist's Guide, Hove, Uk: Psychology press, 2005.
- 한웅희, "소비자의 귀추추론 오류에 대한 연구", 소비문화연구, 제14권, 제4호, pp.119-137, 2011.
- F. R. Kardes, M. Cronley, and T. Cline, Consumer Behavior, Mason: South-Western Cengage Learning, 2008.
- S. Epstein, "Integration of The Cognitive And The Psychodynamic Unconscious," American Psychologist, Vol.49, pp.709-724, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.49.8.709
- J. A. Fugelsang and K. N. Dunbar, "Examining The Representation of Causal Knowledge," Thinking and Reasoning, Vol.12, No.1, pp.1-30, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/13546780500145678
- K. Oberauer, A. Weidenfeld, and K. Fischer, "What Makes Us Believe A Conditional?: The Role of Covariation And Causality," Thinking and Reasoning, Vol.13, No.4, pp.340-369, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/13546780601035794
- D. Lewis, "Causal Decision Theory," Australian Journal of Philosophy, Vol.59, No.1, pp.861-876, 1981.
- D. R. Shanks, "Is Human Learning Rational?," Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, Vol.48A, pp.257-279, 1995.
- D. R. Shanks, "Judging Covariation And Causation," In N. Harvey and D. J. Koehler (Eds), Blackwell Handbook on Judgement And Decision Making, Oxford: Blackwell, 2004.
- J. St. B. T. Evans and D. E. Over, If, New York: Oxford Univ. Press, 2004.
- R. N. Giere, Understanding Scientific Reasoning (4th ed.), FL: Harcourt Brace College Publishers, 1997.
- P. W. Cheng, "From Covariation to Causation: A Causal Power Theory," Psychological Review, Vol.104, No.2, pp.367-405, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.104.2.367
- C. S. Carver, M. F. Scheier, and J. K. Weintraub, "Assessing Coping Strategies: A Theoretically-Based Approach," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.56, pp.267-283, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247
- 김현숙, 한상필, "광고의 창의성이 소비자의 신념 편향에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 한국광고홍보학보, 제14권, 제1호, pp.5-35, 2012.
- 권상로, "전자상거래에서의 소비자보호에 관한 법.제도적 연구", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제12호, pp.787-796, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.12.787
- 성영신, 이응천, 최현덕, 김지연, 민승기, "충동구매 심리: 구매 전 제품가치경험과 충동/절제 활성화의 역할", 한국심리학회지: 소비자.광고, 제13권, 제1호, pp.1-23, 2012.
- 한웅희, 이유재, "소비자의 신념편향에 대한 연구", 소비자학연구, 제20권, 제3호, pp.27-60, 2009.
- 김인혜, 이영호, "사회문화적 영향, 신체불만족, 대처방식 및 이분법적 사고가 폭식행동과 절식행동에 미치는 영향", 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제33권, 제2호, pp.315-339, 2014.
- 손은정, "완벽주의, 자기비난, 자기의식, 신체불만족 및 신경성 폭식증 증상 간의 관계", 한국심리학회지 : 일반, 제30권, 제1호, pp.165-183, 2011.
- R. F. Baumeister and S. J. Shcher, "Self-Defeating Behaviour Patterns among Normal Individuals: Review And Analysis of Common Self-Destructive Tendencies," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.104, pp.3-22, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.104.1.3
- T. F. Heatherton and R. F. Baumeister, "Binge Eating as Escape From Self-Awareness," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.110, No.1, pp.86-108, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.110.1.86
- S. Duval and R. A. Wicklund, A Theory of Objective Self-Awareness, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1972.
- R. F. Baumeister, "Anxiety And Deconstruction: On Escaping The Self," In J. M. Olson and M. P. Zanna (Eds.), Self-Inference Processes: The Ontario Symposium, Vol.6, pp.259-291, 1990.
- R. R. Vallacher and D. M. Wegner, A Theory of Action Identification. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1985.
- R. R. Vallacher and D. M. Wegner, "What Do People Think They Are Doing? Action Identification Theory and Human Behavior," Psychological Review, Vol.94, pp.3-15, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.94.1.3
- J. W. Pennebaker, "Stream of Consciousness and Stress: Levels of Thinking," In J. S. Uleman and J. A. Bargh (Eds.), The Direction of Thought: Limits of Awareness, Intention and Control, pp.327-350, New York: Guilford Press, 1989.
- S. Blackburn, L. Johnston, N. Blampied, D. Popp, and R. Kallen, "An Application of Escape Theory to Binge Eating," European Eating Disorder Review, Vol.14, pp.23-31, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/erv.675
- F. R. Kardes, M. L. Cronley, and M. C. Pontes, "Down The Garden Path: The Role of Conditional Inference Process in The Self-Persuasion," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.14, No.3, pp.230-256, 2001.
- J. Polivy, C. P. Herman, and D. M. Garner, "Cognitive Assessment," In D. M. Donovan and G. A. Marlatt (Eds), Assessment of Addictive Behaviors, pp.274-295, New York: Guilford Press, 1988.
- B. G. Bauer and W. P. Anderson, "Bulimic Beliefs: Food for Thought," Journal of Counseling And Development, Vol.67, pp.416-419, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1989.tb02105.x
- P. S. Butterfield and S. Leclair, "Cognitive Characteristics of Bulimic and Drug-Abusing Women," Addictive Behaviors, Vol.13, pp.131-138, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(88)90002-0
- D. M. Garner and K. Bemis, "A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach to Anorexia Nervosa," Cognitive Therapy and Research, Vol.6, pp.1-27, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01185721
- A. J. Ruderman and P. S. Grace, "Restraint, Bulimia, And Psychopathology," Addictive Behaviors, Vol.12, pp.249-255, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(87)90035-9
- C. Johnson, M. E. Connors, and D. L. Tobin, "Symptom Management of Bulimia," Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol.55, pp.668-676.
- R. J. Faver, "Self-Control And Compulsive Buying," In T. Kasser and A. D. Kanner (Eds.), Psychology and Consumer Culture: The Struggle for A Good Life in A Materialistic World (pp.169-187), Washington: the American Psychological Association, 2004.
- K. E. Stanovich, Who Is Rational? Studies of Individual Differences in Reasoning, Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 1999.
- J. St. B. T. Evans and D. E. Over, Rationality And Reasoning, Hove: Psychology Press, 1996.
- 한웅희, "허위진단성 편향과 효과적인 경영의사 결정", 생산성논집, 제25권, 제4호, pp.155-183, 2011.
- D. Kahnemann and S. Frederick, "Representativeness Revisited: Attribute Substitution in Intuitive Judgment," In T. Gilovich and D. Griffin(Eds). Heuristics And Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment (pp.49-81), Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- V. F. Reyna and C. J. Brainerd, "Fuzzy Processing in Transitivity Development," Annals of Operations Research, Vol.23, pp.37-63, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02204838
- S. A. Sloman, "The Empirical Case for Two Systems of Reasoning," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.119, pp.3-22, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.119.1.3
- K. E. Stanovich and R. F. West, "Individual Differences in Reasoning: Implications for The Rationality Debate," Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Vol.23, pp.645-726, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X00003435