- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Field Map Estimation for Effective Fat Quantification at High Field MRI
고자장 자기공명영상에서 효율적인 지방 정량화를 위한 필드 맵 측정 기술
- Received : 2014.10.07
- Accepted : 2014.11.18
- Published : 2014.11.28
The number of fatty liver patients is sharply growing due to the rapid increase in the incidence of metabolic syndrome, which can lead to diseases such as abdominal obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and hyperlipidemia. Early diagnosis requires examinations using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), wherein quantitative analyses are implemented through a professional water-fat separation method in many cases, as the intensity values of the areas of interest and non-interest are considerably similar or the same. However, such separation method generates inaccurate results in high magnetic fields, where the inhomogeneity of the fields increases. To overcome the limits of such conventional fat quantification methods, this paper proposes a field map estimation method that is effective in high magnetic fields. This method generates field maps through echo images that are obtained using the existing IDEAL sequences, and considers the wrapping degree of the field maps. Then clustering is performed to separate calibration areas, the least square fits based on the region growing method schema of the separated calibration areas, and the histograms are adjusted to separate the water from the fats. In experiment results, our proposed method had a superior fat detection rate of an average of 86.4%, compared to the ideal method with an average of 61.5% and Yu's method with an average of 62.6%. In addition, it was confirmed that the proposed method had a more accurate water detection rate of 98.4% on the average than the 88.6% average of the fat saturation method.
MRI;Water-fat Separation;Field Map Estimation;High-field MR;Region Growing Scheme
Supported by : 가천대학교
- D. P. O'Regan, M. F. Callaghan, and M. Wylezinska-Arridge, "Liver fat content and T2*: simultaneous measurement by using breath-hold multiecho MR imaging at 3T-feasibility," Radiology, Vol.247, pp.550-557, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2472070880
- M. Emmanuelle, B. Javier, J. Glyn, R. Jean, M. Xavier, and C. Anne, "Fat suppression in MR imaging: techniques and pitfalls," Radiographics, Vol.19, pp.373-382, 2007.
- H. K. Hussain, T. L. Chenevert, and F. J. Londy, "Hepatic fat fraction: MR imaging for quantitative measurement and display-early experience," Radiology, Vol.236, pp.1048-1055, 2005.
- B. Guiu, J. M. Petit, and R. Loffroy, "Quantification of liver fat content: comparison of triple-echo chemical shift gradient-echo imaging and in vivo proton MR spectroscopy," Radiology, Vol.250, pp.95-102, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2493080217
- P. Kellman, D. Hernando, and S. Shah, "Multiecho dixon fat and water separation method for detecting fibrofatty infiltration in the myocardium," Magn Reson Med, Vol.61, pp.215-221, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.21657
- 김석천, 안와질환 자기공명 영상에서의 스핀에코와 지방신호 소거영상의 비교 연구, 전북대학교 의학박사 학위 논문, 1994.
- Y. V. Kolen'ko, V. D. Maximov, A. V. Garshev, P. E. Meskin, N. N. Oleynikov, and B. R. Churagulov, "Hydrothermal synthesis of nanocrystalline and mesoporous titania from aqueous complex titanyl oxalate acid solutions," Chemical physics letters, Vol.388, No.4, pp.411-415, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cplett.2004.03.042
- 대한방사선사협회, 자기공명기술학, 고문사, 1999.
- H. Yu, S. B. Reeder, A. Shimakawa, J. H. Brittain, and N. J. Pelc, "Field map estimation with a region growing scheme for iterative 3 point water-fat decomposition," Magnetic resonance in medicine, Vol.54, No.4, pp.1032-1039, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.20654
- B. R. Bacsa and J. Kiwi, "Effect of rutile phase on the photocatalytic properties of nanocrystalline titania during the degradation of p-coumaric acid. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental," Vol.16, No.1, pp.19-29, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(97)00058-1
- S. B. Reeder, M. Markl, H. Yu, J. C. Hellinger, R. J. Herfkens, and N. J. Pelc, "Cardiac CINE imaging with IDEAL water-fat separation and steady-state free precession," J Magn Reson Imaging, Vol.22, pp.44-52, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.20327
- S. B. Reeder, A. R. Pineda, and Z. Wen, "Iterative decomposition of water and fat with echo asymmetry and least-squares estimation (IDEAL): application with fast spin-echo imaging," Magn Reson Med, Vol.54, pp.636-644, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.20624
- S. B. Reeder, Z. Wen, and H. Yu, "Multicoil Dixon chemical species separation with an iterative least-squares estimation method," Magn Reson Med, Vol.51, pp.35-45, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.10675
- J. Ma, S. K. Singh, A. J. Kumar, N. E. Leeds, and L. D. Broemeling, "Method for efficient fast spin echo Dixon imaging," Magn Reson Med, Vol.48, pp.1021-1027, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.10306
- L. Hahnenstein, M. Albert, H. Hasse, C. G. Kreiter, and G. Maurer, "NMR spectroscopic and densimetric study of reaction kinetics of formaldehyde polymer formation in water, deuterium oxide, and methanol. Industrial & engineering chemistry research," Vol.34, No.2, pp.440-450, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie00041a003
- G. M. Bydder, G. M. Steiner, L. H. Blumgart, S. Khenia, and I. R. Young, "MR imaging of the liver using short TI inversion recovery sequences," J Comput Assist Tomogr, Vol.9, pp.1084-1089, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004728-198511000-00015
- H. Yu, S. B. Reeder, A. Shimakawa, J. H. Brittain, and N. J. Pelc, "Field map estimation with a region growing scheme for iterative 3-point water-fat decomposition," Magn Reson Med, Vol.54, pp.1032-1039, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.20654
- J. L. Muerle and D.C. Allen, Experimental Evaluation of Technique for Automatic Segmentation of Objects in Complex Scene, IPPR, Thopmson, 1968.
- M. Prates, V. H. Lachos, and C. R. B. Cabral, "Fitting finite mixture of scale mixture of skew-normal distributions," mixsmsn R package version, Vol.0.2-9, 2011.
- 방사선MRI연구회, MRI The Basics. 3/E, 정담미디어, 2012.
- 여진동, 전병규, "복부 비만 진단을 위한 CT, MRI, DITI 분석 및 임상적 유용성", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.11, No.6, pp.252-259, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.6.252
- 고성진, "자기공명영상에서 자장세기와 시퀀스에 따른 아티팩트 변화", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.10, No.9, pp.302-308, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.9.302