- Volume 14 Issue 11
Criminal profiling, also known as offender profiling is designed to predict the characteristics of unknown criminal perpetrator through an analysis of the crime scene. Until now, there has been conflict about the effectiveness of criminal profiling among academics. In this study, 113 police investigators', working in serious crime divisions, were interviewed about their experiences with criminal profiling, and their belief about its effectiveness. 63.7% of the respondents agreed that criminal profiling is a valuable investigative tool and 62.8% agreed that profilers are valuable to criminal investigations. A total of 31.8% agreed that profilers help the police identify offenders and 15.0% agreed that there is no risk of profiler misdirecting and investigation. 61.5% of the respondents who had reported using a profile agreed that profiling is helpful and 71.4% told that they would use profiling again in the future.
Criminal Profiling;Criminal Investigation;Profiler;Effectiveness;Detective
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 박광배, 배현정, "범죄자 프로파일링의 유용성: 수사실무를 위한 미시적 활용과 정책평가를 위한 거시적 활용", 한국심리학회지, 제21권, 제1호, pp.1-24, 2001.
- 박지선, 최낙범, "범죄자 프로파일링 관련 신문기사 내용분석", 한국경찰연구, 제10권, 제3호, pp.35-53, 2011.
- 박현호, 오경석, "범죄 프로파일링제도 운영의 문제점과 발전방향: 경찰 범죄분석요원 및 기존 수사관의 인식조사를 중심으로", 한국경찰연구, 제9권, 제2호, pp.59-88, 2010.
- R. N. Kocsis, "Psychological Profiling of Serial Arson Offenses an Assessment of Skills and Accuracy," Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol.31, pp.341-361, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854803262586
- B. Snook, P. Taylor and C. Bennell, "Criminal Profiling Belief and Use: A Study of Canadian Police Officer Opinion," The Canadian Journal of Police and Security Services, Vol.5, pp.1-11, 2007.
- 정세종, "범죄자 프로파일링에 관한 비판적 고찰", 한국범죄심리연구, 제8권, 제2호, pp.149-164, 2012.
- 홍성열, 범죄자 프로파일링, 학지사, 2011.
- C. Devery, "Criminal Profiling & Criminal Investigation," Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, Vol.26, No.4, pp.393-409, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043986210377108
- R. N. Kocsis, H. J. Irwin, A. F. Hayes, and R. Nunn, "Expertise in Psychological Profiling: A Comparative Assessment," Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Vol.15, pp.311-331, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/088626000015003006
- D. A. Muller, "Criminal Profiling : Real science or Just wishful thinking?," Homicide Studies, Vol.4, pp.234-263, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088767900004003003
- A. J. Pinizzotto and N. J. Finkel, "Criminal Personality Profiling : An Outcome and Process Study," Law and Human Behavior, Vol.14, No.3, pp.215-233, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01352750
- R. K. Ressler, A. W. Burgess, and J. E. Douglas, Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives, The Tree Press, 1995.
- B. Snook, J. Eastwood, P. Gendreau, C. Goggin, and R. M. Cullen, "Taking Stock of Criminal Profiling: A Narrative Review and Meta-Analysis," Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol.34, pp.437-453, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854806296925
- B. E. Turvey, Criminal Investigation(4th eds) : An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis, Academic Press, 2011.
- J. Trager and J. Brewster, "The Effectiveness of Psychological Profiles," Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, Vol.16, No.1, pp.20-28, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02802730
- B. Snook, R. M. Cullen, C. Bennell, P. Taylor, and P. Gendreau, "The Criminal Profiling Illusion: What's Behind the Smoke and Mirrors?," Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol.35, pp.1257-1276, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854808321528
- B. Snook, P. Taylor, and C. Bennell, "Criminal Profiling Belief and Use: A Study of Canadian Police Officer Opinion," The Canadian Journal of Police and Security Services, Vol.5, pp.1-11, 2007.
- G. Copson, Coals to Newcastle? Part One: A study of offender profiling. Police Researcher Group, Home Office Police Department, 1995.