- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Diagnostics of Police Officers' Unethical Behavior: According to Individual Characteristics & Work Environment
경찰공무원의 비윤리적 행동 진단 - 개인적·근무환경적 특성별 차이를 중심으로
- Received : 2014.07.09
- Accepted : 2014.07.28
- Published : 2014.11.28
The Police force and other public sector organizations do not like non-ethical evaluation of their members and disclosure of evaluation results. However, it is essential for survival and growth of the organization to identify, measure and resolve accurately the non-ethical behaviors of their members. In this study, the dimensions of police officers' unethical behavior were categorized as negligence, personal use, dishonesty, and misconduct of police officers, and the level of those dimensions were measured. After that, the differences due to the individual and work environmental characteristics were explored. The result showed that the level of non-ethical behavior was lowerer than the average. And the differences was statistically significant according to gender, rank of organization, deployed department of the work, and the period of work duration. This implied the necessities of education of police ethics, ethical atmosphere, and establishment of ethical system per differences in individual and work environmental characteristics. Also, considering the fact that the low level of ethical behavior did not lead to ethical action in actual and the inherent problem in research method how frankly the respondents answered the negative self-evaluation, continuous interest in non-ethical behavior and further systemic research are needed in a dimension of personnel management.
Unethical Behavior;Negligence;Personal Use;Dishonesty;Misconduct;Police Officers
- D. J. Brass, K. D. Butterfield, and B. C. Skaggs, "Relationships and Unethical Behavior: A Social Network Perspective," Academy of Management Review, Vol.23, No.1, p.14, 1998.
- M. Kaptein, "Developing a measure of unethical behavior in the workplace: A Stakeholder perspective," J. of Management, Vol.34, No.5, p.978, 2008.
- K. T. Jackson, "Breaking down the barriers: Bringing initiatives and reality into business ethics education," J. of Management Education, Vol.30, No.1, p.65, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/1052562905280841
- 이영남, 경찰행정학, 대영문화사, 2014.
- Y. Vardi and Y. Wiener, "Misbehavior in Organizations: A Motivational Framework," Organization Science, Vol.7, No.2, p.151, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.2.151
- L. K. Trevinoi, G. R. Weaver, and S. J. Reynolds, "Behavioral Ethics in Organizations: A Review," J. of Management, Vol.32, pp.951-954, 2006.
- 전병준, 윤민정, "한국 기업의 비윤리적 행동에 대한 판단", 한국국제경영관리학회 학술발표대회논문집, p.403, 2011.
- G. B. Brumback, "Institutionalizing ethics in government," Public Personnel Management, Vol.20, No.3, pp.354-355, 1991.
- D. K. Peterson, "The relationship between unethical behavior and the dimensions of the Ethical Climate Questionnaire," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.41, No.4, pp.313-326, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021243117958
- 박흥식, 김호섭, 최순영, "공직자 비윤리 행동과 윤리적 위험간의 관계 : 제재와 교육의 조절변수로서의 역할", 한국행정학보, 제44권, 제2호, p.42, 2010.
- J. Zhuang, "Examining Culture's Effect on Whistle-blowing and Peer Reporting," Business and Society, Vol.44, No.4, p.462, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0007650305281848
- M. Schwartz, "The nature of the relationship between corporate codes of ethics and behavior," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.34, No.3, pp.247-262, 2001.
- R. Francis and A. Armstrong, "Ethics as a risk management strategy: The Australian experience," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.45, No.4, p.375, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024163831371
- 백윤정, "윤리프로그램의 지향성과 개인 및 사회 구조적 특성이 연구원의 비윤리적 행동에 미치는 영향", 경영학연구, 제37권, 제4호, p.928, 2008.