- Volume 17 Issue 6
Seoul Fashion Week aims to be the world’s fifth Fashion Week from the year after 2000. This has involved significant labour and investment, not all of which has been successful. This study analyses the strengths and weaknesses of SFW based on the London Fashion Week as a successful model. By identifying its obvious and less obvious characteristics, this analysis aims to diagnose SFW’s current status in order to upgrade the event at an international level. Key factors are organisational body, designers, visitors, sponsors, schedule, venue, main events and supportive events. The following points have emerged from the research: the success of Seoul Fashion Week was based on the combination of separate collections, an appropriate fashion show venue, and the active role of new designers. The problems were: lack of an independent organisation, non-professional staff, lack of diverse visitors, exclusive governmental funding, late timing, excessive distance from the main European and American fashion markets, lack of sustainability of the main events, a limited variety of supportive events, the absence of online promotion and, last but not least, no distinctive features. The study concludes that Seoul Fashion Week has great potential with its fast growth and young designers. This should be complemented with an independent organisation and effective administration and strategy.
Seoul Fashion Week;organisation;buyers;governmental sponsorship;online promotion
- Park, S. H. (2007). 패션 유통 핵심 축으로 부상 [Select Shop becomes the core of fashion retail]. Apparel News. Retrieved September 4, 2015, from http://www.appnews.co.kr/main/pnews.php?table=paper_news&query=view&uid=42629&p=
- Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Homepage. (2015). About Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. Retrieved September 9, 2015, from http://mbfashionweek.com/about
- Noh, N. (2007). 노라 노, 열정을 디자인하다 [Nora Noh, designing ambition]. Seoul: Hwangkmnachimpan.
- Park, S. H. (2000). Comparative study on fashion trends between Korean and foreign fashion collections in the 1990s. Unpublished master’s thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Samsung Design Net. (2015, May 21). 2015 S/S 유통 동향 [2015 S/S Market/Retail Report]. Retrieved August 10, 2015 from http://www.samsungdesign.net/Market/MarketReport/content.asp?an=40116&glChk=G&block=0&page=1&cnt=9
- Seoul Design Foundation. (2015a). 2015년 패션 봉제 사업 종합계획 [A fashion sewing comprehensive plan in 2015]. Retrieved April 4, 2015, from http://opengov.seoul.go.kr/sanction/4120153?from =policy
- Seoul Design Foundation. (2015b). 패션팀 조직도 [Fashion team organization chart]. Retrieved April 24, 2015, from http://www.seouldesign.or.kr/info2/group04.jsp
- Seoul Institute. (2014). 서울시 패션정책 마스터 플랜 수립을 위한 연구 [The research into establishing master plan of Seoul Metropolitan Governmental Fashion Policy]. Seoul: The Seoul Institute.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government Fashion Advisory Team. (2009). 2009서울시 패션산업 발전 방안 [A Fashion Industry Development scheme of Seoul Metropolitan City 2009]. Seoul: Seoul Fashion Centre.
- Kim, H. J. (2012). Analysis on the current status of Seoul Fashion Week and study on the methods of its mid- and long-term development. Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, 25(3), 298-314.
- Kim, H. M. (2015, April 28). 서울패션위크 이대로 괜챦은가 [Is it okay Seoul Fashion Week as it is?]. bntnews. Retrieved August 15, 2015, from http://bntnews.hankyung.com/apps/news?popup=0&nid=08&c1=08&c2=08&c3=00&nkey=201504101211473&mode=sub_view
- Kim, S. M. (2008a). A study on the development strategies of SFAA, Seoul Collection. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongduk Womens University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. I. (2008b, October). 서울 패션산업의 글로벌 경쟁력을 위한 발전 방향 [The development strategies of the Seoul Fashion Industry]. 서울경제 [Seoul economics], pp. 3-12.
- Lee, C. Y. (2013, April 18). 서울패션위크에 바란다 - 전문가 설문조사 [Wishes to Seoul Fashion Week - Expert Survey]. Apparel News. Retrieved April 11, 2015, from http://www.apparelnews.co.kr/21cNet/print.php?uid=46221&sbj=…5%B4%D9%20%20%C0%FC%B9%AE%B0%A1%20%BC%B3%B9%AE%C1%B6%BB%E7
- Lee, C. Y. (2015, May 14). 정구호, 서울패션위크 총감독으로 돌아온다 [Chung Kuho is coming back as a general manager of Seoul Fashion Week]. Apparel News. Retrieved August 12, 2015, from http://www.apparelnews.co.kr/naver/view.php?iid=55096
- Dongdaemoon Design Plaza (DDP). (2015). About DDP. Retrieved August 3, 2015, from http://www.ddp.or.kr/DI010007/getInitPage.do?MENULEVEL=1_1_1
- Lee, K. O. (2014, October 21). 서울패션위크 세계적 축제로 발돋움해야 [In search of Seoul Fashion Week to be a Global festival]. Sports Khan. Retrieved April 10, 2015 from http://sports.khan.co.kr/news/sk_index.html?cat=view&art_id=201410212350103&sec_id=563101&pt=nv
- 'London Fashion Week & British Fashion Industry Facts & Figures AW 15'. (2015). Retrieved September 27, 2015, from http://www.londonfashionweek.co.uk/news_detail.aspx?ID=705
- Council of Fashion Designers of Korea. (2015). About CFDK. Retrieved August 3, 2015, from http://www.cfdk.org/about/history.asp
- 'Fashion industry team organisation chart'. (2015). Seoul Metropolitan Government. Retrieved September 23, 2015, from http://namesearch-app.seoul.go.kr/main/org/org_chart_bon.jsp?dept_cd=33150000
- Ham, M. J. (2011, May 30). 2011~2012 F/W 서울패션위크 신진 디자이너들 9팀의 무대 ‘패션테이크오프’ 열기 후끈 [The Excitement of 2011~2012 F/W Seoul Fashion Week 9 Young Designers’ Stage, Fashion Take Off]. Fashionbiz. Retrieved August 16, 2015, from http://www.fashionbiz.co.kr/TC/main.asp?cate=2&idx=122578
- Han, J. Y., & Lee, S. J. (2008). An exploratory study for the market of Seoul collection - From the collection participants’ perspective -. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(4), 562-572. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.4.562 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.4.562
- Hong, K. H., Lee, J. S., Kim, Y. M., Yang, J. O., & Lee, Y. J. (2010). The production situations of apparel sewing company and the perceptions about the mass customization. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 12(2), 162-171. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.2.162
- Joo, B. R. (2009). Research on “Korean” collection as high added value fashion industry - By comparison of status and characteristics of domestic and international collections. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 15(4), 520-531.
- Kim, H. E. (2015). A study on the characteristics and trends of sustainable fashion through Esthetica at London Fashion Week. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 17(2), 168-177. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.2.168 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.2.168
- An Investigation into the Nurturing Strategy of Korean Young Designers in the International Market Expansion - Based on London's Young Designers' Support Programs - vol.18, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.3.272