- Volume 17 Issue 6
Recently, with the rapid development of the Internet, the importance of the multi-channel retailing strategy including online channel has been emphasized in fashion business. The purpose of this research is to give some practical ideas of multichannel strategy for fashion retailers through comparison for multichannel choice behaviors between Korean and US consumers. The online survey was conducted on the 400 fashion customers aged between 20s and 50s living in Korea and America. The survey consisted of measurement items about channel choice behaviors for purchase or information search, risk perception on channel, repurchase intention at same channel, perception on experience or search goods among apparel items. The data were analyzed by frequency, regression, t-test using SPSS 18.0 program. The ratio of utilization multichannel was higher in fashion goods area in Korea fashion business. Also, most of Top-ranked fashion or accessory retailers in America were taking advantage of multichannel strategy. There were some differences between Korea and US consumers in channel choice behaviors for purchase or information search, risk perception for retail channel, repurchase intention at same channel, perception on experience or search goods among apparel items, etc. Some suggestion for the future research for multichannel strategy in fashion retailing was given.
multichannel;channel choice behavior;risk perception;repurchase intention
- Weather, D., Sharma, S., & Wood, S. L. (2007). Effects of online communication practices on consumer perceptions of performance uncertainty for search and experience goods. Journal of Retailing, 83(4), 393-401. doi:10.1016/j.jretai.2007.03.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2007.03.009
- World Fashion Retail Prospect. (2012, December 17). Fashion CEO Report by Korea Fashion Association, p. 10.
- Park, E. J., & Hong, K. H. (1999). The study of consumer’s clothing discount store selection behavior by their price attitude and risk perception. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 23(4), 529-540.
- Peng, H., Nicholas, H. L., & Sabyasachi, M. (2009). Searching for experience on the web: An empirical examination of consumer behavior for search and experience goods. Journal of Marketing, 73(2), 55-69. doi:10.1509/jmkg.73.2.55 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.2.55
- Poloian, L. G. (2009). Multichannel Retailing. New York: Fairchild Books.
- Rangaswamy, A., & Van Bruggen, G. H. (2005). Opportunities and challenges in multichannel marketing: An introduction to the special issue. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 19(2), 5-11. doi:10.1002/dir.20037 https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20037
- Ryou, E. J., & Cho, O. S. (2005). The effects of the internet shopping values on internet shopping behavior of apparel products -Focused on the shopping mall attributes and perceived risk-. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 13(2), 209-220.
- Stone, M., Hobbs, M., & Khaleeli, M. (2002). Multichannel customer management: The benefits and challenges. The Journal of Database Marketing, 10(1), 39-52. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jdm.3240093 https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jdm.3240093
- Thomas, J. S., & Sullivan, U. Y. (2005). Managing marketing communications with multichannel customers. Journal of Marketing, 69(4), 239-251. doi:10.1509/jmkg.2005.69.4.239 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2005.69.4.239
- Verhagen, T., & Van Dolen, W. (2009). Online purchase intention: A multi-channel store image perspective. Information & Management, 46(2), 77-82. doi:10.1016/j.im.2008.12.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2008.12.001
- Verhoef, P. C., Neslin, S. A., & Vroomen, B. (2007). Multichannel customer management: Understanding the research shopper phenomenon. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 24(2), 129-148. doi:10.1016/j.ijresmar.2006.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2006.11.002
- Kim, C. J. (1995). Product characteristics of clothing and risk perception and risk reduction behavior of consumers. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 25, 41-62.
- Kim, E. Y., & Knight, D. K. (2007). A path analytic exploration of consumer information search in online clothing purchases. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(12), 1721-1732. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.12.1721 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.12.1721
- Kim, J. Y. (2010). A study on information research and purchase channel of apparel product consumer. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 12(3), 318-326. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.3.318
- Kim, J. Y. (2013). The effect of UNIQLO’s online and offline brand images on the purchase intention as a multichannel brand. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 21(1), 42-56. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.1.042 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.1.042
- Kim, J. H., & Lee, J. H. (2011). A study on factors that affect the selection of multichannel in the apparel retail-Based on the characteristics of marketing and customer-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(7), 801-815. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.7.801 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.7.801
- Jacoby, J., & Kaplan, L. B. (1972). The components of perceived risk. Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, eds. M. Venkatesan, Chicago, IL : Association for Consumer Research, pp. 382-393.
- Korea consumer 27%, multichannel shopper using Offline+PC+Mobile. (2015, May). KANTAR WORLDPANEL, p. 2.
- Kwon, W. S., & Lennon, S. J. (2009). What induces online loyalty? Online versus offline brand images. Journal of Business Research, 62(5), 557-564. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.06.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.06.015
- 'Brand identity?Omni channel strategy Key'. (2014, April). FashionBiz. Retrieved September 7, 2015, from http://www.fashionbiz.co.kr
- Nelson, P. (1970). Information and consumer behavior. The Journal of Political Economy, 78(2), 311-329. https://doi.org/10.1086/259630
- Ansari, A., Mela, C., & Nelson, S. A. (2006). Consumer channel migration. New York: Columbia Business School.
- Apparel news. (2014). Korea Fashion Brand Annual 2014/2015. Seoul: Author.
- Chung, I. H., Chae, J. M., Kim, J. Y., Moon, H. K., Lee, M. A., Ji, H. K., Kim, H. S., & Ju, Y. H. (2010). Internet marketing for fashion product. Paju: Kyomunsa.
- Chung, I. H. (2014). Multi-channel behavior for fashion product purchase and the difference of perceived risk by channel type – The case of college men and women -. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 38(2), 277-292. doi:10/5850/JKSCT.2014.38.2.277 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.2.277
- 'Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide' 2011 Edition. (2011). Internet Retailer. Retrieved December 20, 2011, from http://www.internetretailer.com
- Influences of channel assessment on the usage levels of multi-channels by product category in decision making process for purchasing fashion products vol.24, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2016.24.6.803
- A study on Consumer’s Preference for Fashion Mobile Shopping Application vol.68, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2018.68.8.113