- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Shopping Orientation and Store Attributes on Impulse Buying Behavior for Cosmeceuticals
기능성 화장품 충동구매행동에 대한 소비자 쇼핑성향과 기능성 화장품 점포속성의 영향
Park, Eun Joo;Kim, Yu Mi
- Received : 2015.07.29
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.12.31
An aging population and increasing consumer demand for high-quality and innovative new products are key drivers for growth in the cosmeceutical industry. Cosmeceuticals are defined as products with biologically active ingredients that have a measurable effect on the user. This study explored the effects of shopping orientation and store attributes on impulse buying behavior for cosmeceuticals. We obtained 437 usable questionnaires from university students who had purchased cosmeceutical products. Data analysis was conducted using confirmatory factor analysis and structural equation modeling analysis via AMOS 18.0. The findings were: 1) hedonic shopping orientation and convenience shopping orientation had positive effects on product efficacy and promotion of the cosmeceutical store 2) brand shopping orientation had a positive effects on store atmospheric, skin care service, and brand of the cosmeceuticals store and 3) product efficacy and promotion of store attributes had a direct effect on impulse buying behavior for cosmeceuticals. Consumers who tended to enjoy the shopping to refresh themselves and to experience convenient shopping were likely to purchase cosmeceuticals impulsively, which mediated by the store attributes (product efficacy and promotion). Therefore, we confirmed partly causal relationships among the shopping orientation, store attributes, and impulse buying behavior of cosmeceuticals. Both managerial and theoretical implication for practitioners and researchers were discussed for managing product information more efficiently along with promotion strategies to trigger cosmeceuticals consumers in the context of shopping.
cosmeceuticals;shopping orientation;store attributes;impulse buying behavior
- Shin, S. Y., & Na, H, J. (2003). A study on the shopping orientation and the importance of store attributes of luxury brand consumer according to patronage store. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 11(4), 474-486.
- Shin, S. Y. (2001). A study of the shopping orientation, importance of store attributes, and self-image according to the clothing benefits of the adults males of twenties and thirties. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 9(6), 818-829.
- Song, H. I., Lee, O. H., & Kang, Y. E. (2002). A study on cosmetic purchasing behavior according to clothing shopping orientation of 20's females. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(11), 1593-1604.
- Sun, J. H., & Yoo, T. S. (2004). A study on shopping orientation, information source, store image of consumers according to the distribution channels of cosmetics. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(5), 559-569.
- Yoon, J. J., & Kweon, S. A. (2004). A study of consumption practices and needs for cosmeceuticals of female university students. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 13(2), 271-282.
- Youn, S. M., & Faber, R. J. (2000). Impulse buying: Its relation to personality traits and cues. Advances in Consumer Research, 27, 179-185. https://doi.org/10.1086/314319
- Park, E. J. (2005). Analysis of structural equation model on impulse buying behavior for fashion products. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(9/10), 1306-1315.
- Park, E. J., & Forney, J. C. (2004). A comparison of impulse buying behavior and credit card use between Korean and American college students. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(12), 1571-1582.
- Park, E. J., & Ha, M. J. (2008). Influential variables of impulse buying in jewelry market. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(3), 385-394. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.3.385
- Park, E. J., & Kang, E. M. (2000). The effects of situation factors and consumption values on the impulse buying behaviors in apparel store. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 24(6), 873-883.
- Park, E. J., & Kim, J. E. (2008). Relationships among shopping orientation, shopping-mall characteristics, consumer satisfaction, and loyalty in online market of cosmetics. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 16(4), 696-708.
- Park, H. H., & Koo, Y. S. (2009). The influence of female university students' cosmetic purchase motivation on cosmetic attribute evaluation and brand repurchase intention. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 11(2), 252-261.
- Park, H. W., & Kim, Y. S. (2006). A study on the effect of shopping orientation and fashion orientation on imported cosmetics repurchase intention of single women. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 56(5), 150-162.
- Lee, Y. M., & Lee, O. H. (2003). A study on clothing purchasing motives and evaluation criteria of product according to womenteachers' shopping orientation. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 11(2), 193-207.
- Ryu, H. J., & Hong, K. H. (2001). The study of self-image and shopping orientation by female's. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(8), 1367-1377.
- Lee, S. H. (2004). Importance of store attributes and purchase intention based on cosmetics shopping orientations in the internet shopping malls. Journal of the Korean Fashion & Costume Design Association, 6(3), 83-99.
- Lee, S. H., & Jo, S. N. (2007). The effects of multi-shop's store image on the store loyalty and brand switching behavior. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 45(1), 51-61.
- Lim, K. B. (2001). A study on the consumer's importance of store attributes and store choice behavior according to the shopping orientations. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 9(6), 807-817.
- 'Low-priced cosmetics must be changed to survive'. (2009, November 5). Newscheonji. Retrieved June 17, 2013, from http://www.newscj.com/news
- Meng, J., & Pan, P. L. (2012). Investigating the effects of cosmeceutical products advertising in beauty-care decision making. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, 6(3), 250-266. doi:10.1108/17506121211259412 https://doi.org/10.1108/17506121211259412
- Michael, A. J., Kristy, E. R., Weun, S., & Sharon, E. B. (2003). The product-specific nature of impulse buying tendency. Journal of Business Research, 56(7), 505-511. doi:10.1016/S0148-2963(01)00250-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(01)00250-8
- Oh, E. J. (2011). The status of use and purchase behavior to basic cosmetics and cosmeceuticals among female university students. Unpublished master’s thesis, Inje University, Kimhae.
- Kim, S. H., & Rhee, E. Y. (2004). A documentary study to determine the concept of clothing shopping orientation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(3), 472-482.
- Oh, H. S., Kim, E. Y., & Lee, H. J. (2008). Importance of store attribute, VM factors, and store loyalty by consumers' G sensibility types for apparel store choice. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 10(6), 864-872.
- Kim, K. Y., & Kim, K. H. (2001). The correlation between the degree of interest for display and impulse purchasing behavior of cosmetics. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology, 7(1), 133-147.
- Kim, S. A., & Kim, J. Y. (2009). Shoes shopping orientation and importance of store attributes determined by 30-40s female shoppers. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 15(3), 49-57.
- Kim, Y. J., Kim, M. J., Yoo, M. Y., Lee, S. H., Lee, J. E., Choi, W. J., & Ahn, M. J. (2007). A study on the satisfaction and the reliability of products in the use of cosmeceuticals. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology, 13(1), 243-251.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. (2014). 2014 analysis report of cosmetics industry. Seoul.
- Lee, H. E. (2001). A study on college-woman consumers' preference for imported product and purchase behavior of imported cosmetics. Unpublished master’s thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Lee, H. O., & Koo, Y. S. (2009). The effects of body cathexis on usage behavior of cosmeceuticals. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 47(4), 73-81.
- Lee, J. H. (2006). The influence of cosmetics packing design factors on impulse buying by types of consumer. Unpublished master’s thesis, Chungang University, Seoul.
- Ji, H. K. (2013). The influences of price, product and promotion on clothing impulse buying by the internet shopping mall types. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(4), 543-553. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.543 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.543
- Lee, J. M. (2014). Effects of marketing stimulus of internet shopping on impulse buying, purchase satisfaction, and repurchase intention. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology, 20(4), 735-742.
- Jeong, S. J., & Kang, K. J. (1998). A study on the predictable variables of impulse buying by college women′s clothing shopping orientation - On marketing stimulus factors and information source -. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 6(4), 104-119.
- Jo, A. R. (2011). A study on female college students' functional cosmetics usage and satisfaction. Unpublished master’s thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Jin, J. Y. (2011). A study of usage and satisfaction on the functional cosmetics. Unpublished master’s thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. J. (2012a). A study on purchasing behavior and satisfaction of functional cosmetics of female college students. Unpublished master’s thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. D. (2012b). A study on cosmeceuticals usage actual condition and purchasing behavior of female undergraduates. Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Scientists of Korea, 38(4), 339-356. https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2012.38.4.339
- Kim, M. H., & Hwang, C. S. (2013). Influence of shopping orientation of female consumers in their 20s and 30s on motivation for brandswitching in purchasing cosmeceuticals - Focusing on whitening, sunscreen, and anti-aging treatments -. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 37(3), 334-347. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.3.334 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.3.334
- Kim, N. K. (2010). A study on purchasing behavior of makeup cosmetics and chronics among female college students. Unpublished master’s thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Anderson, J. C., & Gerbing, D. W. (1988). Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psychology Bulletin, 103(3), 411-423. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- Cho, S. J. (2007). Cosmetics using behavior relating to beauty interest of active aging women. Unpublished master’s thesis, Chungang University, Seoul.
- Choi, S. K. (2007). The effects of demographic characteristics and psychological characteristic on make-up behavior of women. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 57(8), 60-74.
- Choi, S. K., Kang, K. J., & Jeong, S. J. (2005). The effects of marketing stimulus factors and information source on cosmetic impulse buying by fashion leadership. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 14(2), 95-96.
- Choi, S. K., & Choi, M. O. (2008). A study of cosmetic impulse buying and psychological characteristics of college women by their fashion leadership. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 10(2), 155-163.
- Choi, Y. E., & Park, E. J. (2002). The effects of apparel store services on impulsive buying behaviors. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(11), 1615-1626.
- Earl, P. E., & Potts, J. (2000). Latent demand and the browsing shopper. Managerial and Decision Economics, 21(3/4), 11-122. doi:10.1002/mde.976
- Effects of Store Commitment on Consumer Attitude Toward Mass Cosmetic Brand Store and Revisit Intention vol.20, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.2.191