- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Usage Motivation of Hashtag of Fashion Brands’ Image Based SNS on Customer Social Participation and Brand Equity : Focusing on Moderating Effect of SNS Involvement
패션브랜드의 이미지 기반 SNS에서 해시태그의 이용동기가 고객소셜참여와 브랜드 자산에 미치는 영향 : SNS 참여도의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2015.09.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2015.12.31
Hashtag has emerged and become one of cultural trend. Given that more and more firms in the fashion industry are using hashtag on images based on SNS to provide information of their products and to communicate with their customers. Especially, hashtags through voluntary participation of users provides the perspective of how customers consume their products. Therefore, this study focused on the using motives of hashtag in image based SNS with customer social participation as mediator towards brand equity. The purpose of this study is (1) to investigate the usage motivation of hashtag of image contents based SNS, (2) to expose how each usage motive affects customer social participation and (3) to find out how customer social participation has an effect on brand equity. In order to achieve the objectives of this study, first we conducted an in-depth interview on 8 image based SNS heavy users to understand the using motives of hashtags. Furthermore, we conducted online surveys amongst people aged between 20s and 30s of image contents based SNS users. As a result of this study, followings were figured out. First, four of usage motivation of hashtag were examined through in-depth interview and previous studies; interest sharing, social interaction, ease of use and enjoyment. Second, usage motivation of hashtag has a significant effect on customer social participation. Third, customer-media participation and customer-customer participation impact positively on brand equity. Lastly, level of customer social participation has the moderating effect on the relationship between motivation of hashtag and customer social participation.
hashtag;fashion brands’image based SNS;customer social participation;brand equity;SNS involvement
- Suh, G. S. (2008). An analysis of the moderating effects of user ability on the acceptance of an internet shopping mall. Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 18(4), 27-55.
- Sarah, J. (2014, December). Top 10 luxury brand social marketers of 2014. Luxury daily. Retrieved January 2, 2015 from http://www.luxurydaily.com/top-10-luxury-brand-social-marketers-of-2014/
- Song, J. J. (2011). Statistical Analysis Using SPSS/AMOS. Seoul: 21 cbook.
- Suh, K. W., Lee, C. Y., & Baek, J. H. (2007). A research of the relationship between the type of online brand community and consumer attitudes. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 18(5), 91-104.
- Suh, M. S., Ahn, J. W., & Rho, T. S. (2010). A study on the relationship demarking and customers’ relationship behaviors. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 15(1), 21-55.
- Sharma, A., & Sheth, J. N. (2004). Web-based marketing: the coming revolution in marketing thought and strategy. Journal of Business Research, 57(7), 696-702. doi:10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00350-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00350-8
- Small, T. A. (2011). What the hashtag? A content analysis of Canadian politics on twitter. Information, Communication & Society, 14(6), 872-895. doi:10.1080/1369118X.2011.554572 https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2011.554572
- Yang, S. J., & Lee, E. Y. (2005). The strategic management of customer participation in internet environments. Korean Business Review, 18(1), 81-108.
- Yoo, C. W., Sanders, G. L., & Moon, J. (2013). Exploring the effect of e-WOM participation on e-loyalty in e-commerce. Decision Support Systems, 55(3), 669-678. doi:10.1016/j.dss.2013.02.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2013.02.001
- Lee, H. J. (2014). A study on purchase satisfaction and repurchase intention accoding to usage motivation when purchasing fashion products in social commerce. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(4), 596-603. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.4.596 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.4.596
- Lee, J. Y., & Jang, P. S. (2013). Effects of message polarity and type on word of mouth through SNS. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(6), 129-135.
- Lee, K. Y., & Chung, S. K. (2007). The effects of brand community on brand equity : With emphasis on motivation of community usage, community commitment, and community interaction. Korean Journal of Communication Studies, 15(1), 63-92.
- Lee, S. H., Ahn, J. H., & Jang, J. J. (2006). The effect of perceived interactivity's mediator role on mobile contents users' attitude and behavioral intention. Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 16(3), 205-227.
- Li, H., Edwards, S. M., & Lee, J. H. (2002). Measuring the intrusiveness of advertisements: Scale development and validation. Journal of Advertising, 31(2), 37-47. doi:10.1080/00913367.2002.10673665 https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2002.10673665
- Oh, E. H. (2012). An empirical study on the influence of the motive of social media use on social media's interaction and user satisfaction. Journal of Business Research, 27(1), 49-74.
- Papacharissi, Z., & Rubin, A. M. (2000). Predictors of internet use. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 44, 175-196. doi:10.1207/s15506878jobem4402_2 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4402_2
- Ko, E., Choo, H., Lee, J., Song, S., & Hwang, H. (2013). Triangulated value perspectives of place marketing: A case of Dongdaemun and the Doota shopping mall. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 4(4), 299-318. doi:10.1080/20932685.2013.822683 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2013.822683
- Park, K. J., Yoo, I., & Kim, J. J. (2013). A study on continued use of social network services: Focused on the moderating effect of user’s SNS literacy. Journal of Information Systems, 22(1), 65-86. doi:10.5859/KAIS.2013.22.1.65 https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2013.22.1.65
- Kim, H. W., Kim, H. J., & Kim, K. S. (2012). A hashtag classification method for improving hashtag recommendation in twitter trending topic. Journal of Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers: Computing Practices and Letters, 18(11), 749-755.
- Kim, M. S., & Park, J. M. (2013). A study on the structural relationship among social commerce site users’ motivation, participation, trust, and behavioral intention. Korean Strategic Marketing Association, 21(2), 157-179.
- Ko, E., Chun, E., Song, S., & Kim, K. (2013). Which content types increase participation in fashion social platforms? Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 23(3), 297-313. doi:10.1080/21639159.2013.793503 https://doi.org/10.1080/21639159.2013.793503
- Ko, E., Kim, E., & Lee, E. (2009). Modeling consumer adoption of mobile shopping for fashion products in Korea. Psychology & Marketing, 26(7), 669-687. doi:10.1002/mar.20294 https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20294
- Ko, J., Shin, J., Ko, E., & Chae, H. (2014). The effects of image contents based fashion brands’ SNS toward flow and brand attitude: Focus on pleasure emotion as mediator. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(6), 908-920. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.6.908 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.6.908
- Lee, B. H., Han, S. L., Lee, S. G., & Lee, S. H. (2013). Exploratory study of underlying dimensions of use motive in social media and mareketing implications. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 28(2), 87-108.
- Jeon, M. A., Jun, S. H., & Hwang, E. J. (2014). Hashtag recommendation based on user tweet and hashtag classification on twitter. In Web-Age Information Management (pp. 325-336). Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-11538-2_30
- Lee, G. E. (2014). A study on the fashion brand marketing using social media : Focused on the application of pinterest and instagram. Unpublished master’s thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Hong, H. S., Ryu, S. M., & Moon, C. W. (2007). Relationship between usage needs satisfaction and commitment to apparel brand communities: Moderator effect of apparel brand image. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 17(4), 51-89. doi:10.1080/12297119.2007.9707267
- Jang, J., Ko, E., Chun, E., & Lee, E. (2012). A study of a social content model for sustainable development in the fast fashion industry. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 3(2), 61-70. doi:10.1080/20932685.2012.10593108 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2012.10593108
- Kang, Y. S. (2013). A study on the web user interface design of image-Based social network service. Unpublished master’s thesis, ChungAng University, Seoul.
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing consumer based brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22. doi:10.2307/1252054
- Kim, A. J., & Ko, E. (2010). Impacts of luxury fashion brand’s social media marketing on customer relationship and purchase intention. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 1(3), 164-171. doi:10.1080/ 20932685.2010.10593068 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2010.10593068
- Kim, B. J., Kang, M. S., & Shin, J. C. (2005). A study on the determinants and performance of consumer-brand relationship. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 16(3), 55-81.
- Choi, T. H. (2014, July). #Hashtag_Generation. Esquire Fashion Report. Retrieved November 10, 2014, from http://navercast.naver.com/magazine_contents.nhn?rid=1415&rid=&contents_id =61595
- Kim, Y. M. (2015, September 23). The world of 'hashtag'. Joonang newspaper. Retrieved September, 26, 2015 from http://article.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=18297844&cloc=olink|article|default
- Chae, H., Ko, E., & Han, J. (2015). How do customers' SNS participation activities impact on customer equity drivers and customer loyalty? Focus on the SNS services of a global SPA brand. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 25(2), 122-141. doi:10.1080/21639159.2015.1012809 https://doi.org/10.1080/21639159.2015.1012809
- Cho, C. H., & Cheon, H. J. (2005). Cross-cultural comparisons of interactivity on corporate web sites: the United States, the United Kingdom, Japan, and South Korea. Journal of Advertising, 34(2), 99-115. doi:10.1080/00913367.2005.10639195 https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2005.10639195
- 'Creative Commons Korea'. (2014, July 9). #Hashtag_Social Marketing. Social Media Marketing. Retrieved November 10, 2014, from http://blog.socialmkt.co.kr/340
- Daer, A. R., Hoffman, R., & Goodman, S. (2014, September). Rhetorical functions of hashtag forms across social media applications. In Proceedings of the 32nd ACM International Conference on The Design of Communication CD-ROM (p. 16). ACM.
- Domagk, S., Schwartz, R. N., & Plass, J. L. (2010). Interactivity in multimedia learning: An integrated model. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(5), 1024-1033. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2010.03.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.03.003
- 'E-marketer'. (2015, March 4). Instagram will top 100 million US users by 2018. Retrieved April. 20, 2015 from http://www.emarketer. com/Article/Instagram-Will-Top-100-Million-US-Users-by-2018/1012148
- Hoffman, D. L., & Novak, T. P. (1996). Marketing in hypermedia computer-mediated environments: Conceptual foundations. Journal of Marketing, 50-68. doi:10.2307/1251841
- Aaker, D. A. (1996). Measuring brand equity across products and markets. California Management Review, 38(3), 103.
- An, J. R. (2014, September 30). Bbangstagrm?..muckstagram?... Unique hashtags from Instagram. Hankyung.com. Retrieved Novemeber 1, 2014, from http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=2014092999151
- Chae, H. (2013). (The) effects of customer social participation on customer equity : Focus on social media service of global fashion brand. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- The Effects of Individualism-Collectivism Propensity, Social Capital, Participation Activity of Social Network Service Users on Fashion Brands Relationship Orientation vol.19, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.2.194
- The power of e-WOM using the hashtag: focusing on SNS advertising of SPA brands vol.37, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2017.1401519
- A study of unconscious emotional and cognitive responses to tourism images using a neuroscience method pp.1759-0833, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1108/JIMA-09-2017-0098