- Volume 31 Issue 11
For the bearing capacity evaluation, dynamic pile tests instead of static pile tests have been commonly used in embedded piles, which are known to have low noise and low vibration construction method. The objective of this study is to analyze the bearing capacity and penetration behaviors of embedded piles, which are constructed in different ground conditions, by using force and velocity signals obtained in the final blows during construction of embedded piles. For the dynamic pile analyses, the CAse Pile Wave Analysis Program (CAPWAP) and Wave Equation Analysis of Piles (WEAP) have been commonly used. In this study, the CAPWAP and WEAP are used for the analyses of the dynamic pile tests, which are conducted on embedded piles. The input values, output values, and force-velocity graphs of CAPWAP determined by analyzing the measured force-velocity signals are investigated. In addition, similar force-velocity singals are obtained from the WEAP by analyzing the input values of the WEAP. Considering the subsurface investigation results around the pile tips, if the N-value increases exponentially along the depth, toe quake value should be small, and therefore large bearing capacity is identified. On the contrary, if the N-value increases linearly, the bearing capacity is small because of large toe quake value. Furthermore, the stiffness of hammer cushion and pile cushion, which is difficult to find correct values, is recommended lower than 500 kN/mm. This study demonstrates that the results of WEAP may be similar to those of CAPWAP and the WEAP can be used to estimate the bearing capacity of embedded piles.
CAPWAP;Cushion stiffness;Embedded piles;Signal matching;Toe quake;Ultimate capacity;WEAP
- Cho, C. W. (2010), "Piling Engineering Practice", Engineer Book, Seoul, 744p.
- Choi, D.W., Han, B. K., Seo, Y. H., and Cho, S. H. (2002), "A Study on the Improvement of Bearing Capacity Prediction Equation for Auger-drilled Piling", 2002 Fall Geotechnical Engineering, pp.382-389.
- Han, J. T., Yoo, M. T., Yang, E. K., and Kim, M. M. (2010), "Evaluation of Particle Size Effect on Dynamic Behavior of Soil-Pile System", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.26, No.7, pp.49-58.
- Heo, J. H. (2007), "The Study on Measurement of Noise from SIP Steel Pipe Pile and Energy Transfer Rate in Association with the Pile Cushion Material Using a Dynamic Load Test", Thesis for Master's Degree at Chonnam National University, 66p.
- Hong, W. P. and Yun, J. M. (2013), "The Lateral Load Capacity of Bored-precast Pile Depending on Injecting Ratio of Cement Milk in Sand", Journal of Korean Geosynthetics Society, Vol.12, No.4, pp.99-107. https://doi.org/10.12814/jkgss.2013.12.4.099
- Hong, W. P. and Chai, S. G. (2007), "Estimation of Frictional Capacity of SDA Augered Piles in Various Ground", Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.27, No.4, pp.279-292.
- Im, H. S., Park, Y. B., Park, J. B., Kim, J. S., Han, K. R., and Kim, D. H. (2001), "The Proposal of Quality Improvement Guide and Bearing Capacity Estimation of SIP", Housing & Urban Research Institute, Daejeon, 154p.
- Jung, D. W. (2000), "Evaluation of Driving System Efficiency and Driven Pile Capacity Based on Dynamic Pile Load Tests", Journal of Korea Polytechnic University, Vol.5, pp.277-284.
- Kim, B. S. (1997), "A Study on the Pile/Soil Correlation of Underground", Journal of the Korea National University of Transportation, Vol.32, No.2, pp.453-462.
- Kim, B. T., Lee, S. U., and Kim, Y. S. (1998), "Model Testing on the Behavior of Laterally Loaded Pile in NC Clay Soils", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.14, No.5, pp.39-52.
- Kim, J. D., Hong, J. K., Park, Y. B., Park, J. B., and Song, Y. (1998), "The Manual for Pile Load Test and Analysis of Test Result", Housing & Urban Research Institute, Daejeon, 175p.
- Kim, J. D., Im, H. S., Park, Y. B., Park, J. B., and Lee, W. J. (2000), "Determination of the Optimized Driving Force and End Time of Driving for Pile Construction", Housing & Urban Research Institute, Daejeon, 237p.
- Kim, J. Y., Lee, C. K., and Heo, Y. (1999), "Comparative Analysis of Bearing Capacity in Driven and Embedded Piles", Journal of Industrial Science and Technology Institute, Vol.13, No.1, pp.129-140.
- Kwon, H. J. and Moon, B. S. (1996), "Estimation of the Bearing Capacity of Pile by Static Load Test and Dynamic Load Test in Sangmoo District of Kwangju City", Journal of Industrial Technology Research, Vol.7, pp.17-37.
- Lee, C. H., Chung, S. G., and Kim, S. R. (2009), "Applicability of CPT-based Toe Bearing Capacity of PHC Driven Piles", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.25, No.12, pp.107-118.
- Lee, J. S., Chang, Y. C., and Kim, Y. K. (2002), "A Study on the Allowable Bearing Capacity of Pile by Driving Formulas", Journal of Navigation and Port Research, Vol.26, No.1, pp.106-111. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2002.26.1.106
- Lee, J. B. (2011), "A Consideration of Theoretical Value and Measured Value about a Formula in Statics of Bored Pile Method", Thesis for Master's Degree at Kwandong University, 44p.
- Lee, M. W. and Hong, H. S. (2006), "A Report on the Problems Associated with PDA Testing in Korea", 2006 Spring Geotechnical Engineering Conference, pp.1259-1268.
- Lee, W. J., Yoon, K. H., Suk, J. S., and Lee, W. J. (1998), "Evaluation of Bearing Capacity of Piles in Sand Using Pile Driving Analyzer", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.13, No.5, pp.145-154.
- Linkins, G. and Rausche, F. (2004), "Correlation of CAPWAP with Static Load Tests", Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on the Application of Stresswave Theory to Piles, pp. 153-165.
- Paik, K. and Salgado, R. (2003), "Determination of Bearing Capacity of Open-Ended in Sand", Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.129, Issue.1, pp.46-57. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:1(46)
- Paik, K., Salgado, R., Lee, J., and Kim, B. (2003), "Behavior of Open- and Closed-Ended Piles Driven into Sands", Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.129, Issue.4, pp.296-306. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:4(296)
- Park, J. B., Kim, J. S., Lim, H. S., and Park, Y. B. (2004), "Estimation of Bearing Capacity of SIP Pile by Static & Dynamic Load Test", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.2004, No.10, pp.2356-2361.
- Randolph, M. F., Dolwin, J., and Beck, R. (1994), "Design of Driven Piles in Sand", Geotechnique, Vol.44, No.3, pp.427-448. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.1997
- Seo, Y. H., Cho, S. H., Choi, D. W., and Han, B. K. (2003), "A Study on the Optimum Design Guide for Auger-drilled Piling", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.51, No.7, pp. 8-16.
- Shim, T. S., Joo, S. W., and Choi, S. Y. (1999), "A Study on a Evaluation of Pile Bearing Capacity Using PDA Test", Journal of Construction Technology Research, Vol.19, No.2, pp.1-21.
- Yoon, J. Y. (2003), "Evaluation of Ultimate Bearing Capacity on Granular Compaction Pile Considering Varying Stresses in a Ground", Thesis for Master's Degree at Hongik University, 78p.
Grant : 미래가치 창조를 선도하는 혁신적 건설인재 양성사업단