- Volume 31 Issue 11
An experimental study has been conducted to evaluate the effects of average and cyclic shear stresses on the undrained failure behaviors of dense marine silty sand by using the Cyclic Direct Simple Shear apparatus. The results show that when the average shear stress ratio is zero, symmetric cyclic shear deformation is the major component of deformation, and permanent shear deformation is relatively small. On the other hand, when the average shear stress ratio is larger than zero, asymmetric permanent shear deformation is the major component, and cyclic shear deformation does not change much as the number of cyclic loads increases. The average shear stress ratio has less effects on the number of cyclic loads needed to fail, as compared with the cyclic shear stress ratio. The proposed stress-dependent failure contour can effectively be used to assess the cyclic shear strength of soil beneath the foundation for the design of offshore structures.
Cyclic loading;Failure contour;Cyclic Stress Ratio (CSR);Average Stress Ratio (ASR);Marine sand;Offshore structure;Wind farm
- Andersen, K.H., Kleven, A., and Heien, D. (1988), "Cyclic Soil Data for Design of Gravity Structures", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.114, No.5, pp.517-539. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1988)114:5(517)
- Andersen, K.H. and Berre, T. (1999), "Behaviour of a Dense Sand under Monotonic and Cyclic Loading", In Proceedings of the 12th ECSMGE, Geotechnical Engineering for Transportation Infrastructure, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 7-10 June 1999, Vol.2, pp.667-676.
- Andresen, L. and Jostad, H.P. (2004), "Analyses of Progressive Failure in Long Natural Slopes", In Numerical Models in Geomechanics: Proceedings of NUMOG IX, Ottawa, Ont., 25-27 August2004, pp.603-608.
Andersen, K.H. (2009), "Bearing Capacity under Cyclic Loading, Offshore, Along the Coast and on Land. The 21st Bjerrum Lecture presented in Oslo, 23November 2007", NRC Research Press Web site
- Baxter, C.D.P., Bradshaw, A.S., Ochoa-Lavergne, M., and Hankour, R. (2010), "DSS Test Results using Wire-Reinforced Membranes and Stacked Rings", GeoFlorida 2010 ASCE.
- Castro, G., Poulos, S.J., France, J.W., and Enos, J.L. (1982), "Liquefaction Induced by Cyclic Loading", Report to NSF.
- Chaney, R. and Mulilus, P.J. (1987), "Suggested Method for Soil Specimen Remoulding by Wet Raining", ASTM Geotechnical Journal, Vol.1, pp.107-108.
- De Alba, P., Seed, H.B., and Chan, C.K., (1976), "Sand liquefaction in large-scale simple shear tests", J.Geotech.Engrg.Div., ASCE, Vol.102, pp.909-927.
- Dyvik, R., Berre, T., Lacasse, S., and Raadim, B. (1987), "Comparison of Truly Undrained and Constant Volume Direct Simple Shear Tests", Geotechnique, Vol.37, pp.3-10. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.168
- Goulois, A.M., Whitman, R.W., and Hoeg, K. (1985), "Effects of Sustained Shear Stresses on the Cyclic Degradation of Clay", ASTM Special Technical Publication, Vol.883, pp.330-351.
- Ishihara, K. (1985), "Stability of Natural Deposits during Earthquakes", 11th Intl. Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, San Francisco, 1: 321-376.
- Kuerbis, R. and Vaid, Y.P. (1988), "Sand Sample Preparation-Slurry Deposition Method", Soils and Foundations, Vol.28, pp.107-118.
- Lee, K. and Seed, H.B. (1967), "Dynamic Strength of Anisotropically Consolidated Sand", Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division ASCE, pp.169-190.
- Miura, S. and Toki, S. (1982), "A Sample Preparation Method and It Effect on Static and Cyclic Deformation-strength Properties of Sand", Soils and Foundation, Vol.22, pp.61-77. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.22.61
- Mulilus, J.P., Seed, H.B., Chan, C.K., Mitchell, J.K., and Arulanandan, K. (1977), "Effects of Sample Preparation on Sample Preparation", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE 103 (GT2), pp.91-108.
- Nielsen, S.D., Shajarati, A., Sorenson, K.W., and Ibsen, L.B. (2012), "Behaviour of Dense Frederikshavn Sand during Cyclic Loading", DCE Technical Memorandum, No.15.
- Randolph, M. and Gourvenec, S. (2011), "Offshore Geotechnical Engineering", Taylor and Francis, London.
- Safdar, M. and Kim, J.M. (2013), "Cyclic Behavior of Marine Silty Sand", Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering (EJGE), Vol.18A, pp.209-218.
- Vaid, Y.P. and Negussey, D. (1988), "Preparation of Reconstituted Sand Specimens", ASTM STP pp.977.
Grant : 창의적 해양항만도시 인프라 저영향개발(LID) 및 관리체계 구축 사업단