- Volume 31 Issue 11
Volcanic rocks in Jeju Island indicate the differences in geological and mechanical characteristics from region to region, and have vesicular structure caused by various environmental factors. In this study, triaxial compressive strength tests were conducted for intact rocks sampled in northeastern onshore and offshore, southeastern offshore and northwestern offshore of Jeju Island. The estimated cohesion and internal friction angle from the results of triaxial compression tests were compared and analyzed with absorption, a parameter representing the vesicular properties of basalts in Jeju Island. As a result, it was found that the relationship between cohesion and absorption could be classified clearly, considering two different linear relationships in bulk specific gravity and absorption. As the absorption increases, the cohesion decreases exponentially. In addition, the internal friction angle decreases almost linearly with increasing in the absorption, regardless of the relationships in bulk specific gravity and absorption.
Basalts in Jeju Island;Absorption;Bulk specific gravity;Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion;Cohesion;Internal friction angle
- ASTM D 7012-13, Standard Test Method for Compressive Strength and Elastic Moduli of Intact Rock Core Specimens under Varying States of Stress and Temperatures, ASTM International.
- Cho, T.C., Lee, S.B., Hwang, T.J., and Won, K.S. (2009), "Variations of Mechanical Properties of Hallasan Trachyte with Respect to the Degree of Weathering", Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol.19, No.4, pp.287-303.
- Eum, K.Y. (2002), Study on the Mechanical Properties of Volcanic Rocks in Chejudo, Master thesis, Yonsei University, p.63.
- GK Engineering, JPM Inc., and Jeju National Univ. (2013), Report of the Leading Industry of Jeju Economic Region.
- GK Engineering, JPM Inc., and Jeju National Univ. (2014), Report of the Leading Industry of Jeju Economic Region.
- GK Engineering, JPM Inc., and Jeju National Univ. (2015), Report of the Leading Industry of Jeju Economic Region.
- Kim, J.H. (2006), A Study on the Mechanical Characteristics and the Strength in Pyoseonri Basalt, Master thesis, Cheju National University, p.93.
- Kim, Y.K. and Choi, O.G. (1991), "Engineering Geological Characteristics of Volcanic Rocks of the Northwestern Cheju Island, Korea", The Journal of Engineering Geology, Vol.1, No.1, pp.19-37.
- Korean Geotechnical Society (2012), Geology and Rock Mechanics for Geotechnical Engineer II, CIR Publishing Company, p.735.
- Korean Society for Rock Mechanics (2005), Standard method for sampling and preparation of rock specimen, pp.81-84.
- Moon, K., Park, S., Kim, Y., and Yang, S. (2014), "Mechanical Properties of Basalt in Jeju Island with Respect to Porosity", Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineering, Vol.34, No.4, pp.1215-1225. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2014.34.4.1215
- Nam, J.M., Yun, J.M., Song, Y.S., and Kim, J.H. (2008a), "Analysis of Engineering Properties to Basalt in Cheju Island", Journal of Korean Geosynthetics Society, Vol.7, No.1, pp.12-21.
- Nam, J.M., Yun, J.M., Song, Y.S., and Kim, J.H. (2008b), "Analysis of Influence Factors to Compressive and Tensile Strength of Basalt in Cheju Island", The Journal of Engineering Geology, Vol.18, No.2, pp.215-225.
- Nam, J.M., Yun, J.M., and Song, Y.S. (2009), "Estimation to the Strength of Basalt in Jeju Island according to Rock Failure Criterions", The Journal of Engineering Geology, Vol.19, No.2, pp.153-163.
- Yang, S.B. (2014), "Comparative Study on Physical and Mechanical Characteristics of Volcanic Rocks in Jeju Island", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.30, No.11, pp.39-49.
- Yang, S.B. (2015), "Physical and Mechanical Characteristics of Basalts in Northwestern and Southeastern Jeju Island", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.31, No.7, pp.41-52.
- Yoon, S.H. and Ko, K.W. (2011), Topography, Geology and Underground Water in Jeju Island, Nae Ha Publishing Company, p.130.