- Volume 31 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Application of Ground Penetrating Radar for Estimation of Loose Layer
지반 이완구간 추정을 위한 지하투과레이더의 적용
- Received : 2015.09.22
- Accepted : 2015.11.10
- Published : 2015.11.30
An investigation of a void and a loose layer of the ground is essential in order to prevent the losses of life and properties caused by subsidence and sinkage of the ground. Recently, studies on the ground penetrating radar survey have been actively conducted in order to estimate the void and the loose layer of the ground. However, an error can be committed by contrarily predicting a dense ground and a loose layer because the ground penetrating radar estimates an interface depth between geo-materials that have different electrical impedances. In this study, a loose ground depth is estimated using the characteristics of the reflected electromagnetic wave obtained from the ground penetrating radar survey. To gather the signals according to the loose ground depths, the ground penetrating radar survey is conducted on a field which underwent a huge ground settlement. In addition, the dynamic cone penetration test is performed to verify the result of the loose ground depth estimation from the ground penetrating radar survey. From the analysis of the reflection characteristics of the electromagnetic wave, a phase of an electromagnetic wave reflected from a denser soil layer is found to be identical with that of the first measured signal. On the other hand, a phase of an electromagnetic wave reflected from the loose soil layer is found to be opposed to that of the first detected signal. The comparison between the dynamic cone penetration index and electromagnetic signals by the ground penetrating radar shows that the estimated depth of the loose or dense layer is perfectly matched with a high reliability. The ground penetrating radar survey and the signal analysis performed in this study can be used not only for the survey of interface depth between the discontinuity layers but also for the estimation of the loose layer.
Discontinuity layer;Dynamic cone penetrometer;Electromagnetic wave;Ground penetrating radar;Loose layer
- Al-Qadi, I. L., Xie, W., and Roberts, R. (2010), "Optimization of Antenna Configuration in Multiple-Frequency Ground Penetrating Radar System for Railroad Substructure Assessment", NDT&E International, Elsevier, 43, pp.20-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2009.08.006
- Al-Qadi, I. L., Xie, W., Roberts, R., and Leng, Z. (2010), "Data Analysis Techniques for GPR Used for Assessing Railroad Ballast in High Radio-frequency Environment", Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, 136(4), 392-399. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000088
- ASTM D6432-11 (2011), "Standard Guide for Using the Surface Ground Penetrating Radar Method for Subsurface Investigation", Annual Book of ASTM Standard 04.09, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- ASTM D6951 (2009), "Standard Test Method for Use of the Dynamic Cone Penetrometer in Shallow Pavement Applications", Annual Book of ASTM Standard 04.03, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Chung, C. K. (2015), "Sinkhole, does the Ground of the City is Crumbling? (environment day special issue)", Water Journal, 131, pp.51-63.
- Davis, J. L. and Annan, A. P. (1989), "Ground-penetrating Radar for High-resolution Mapping of Soil and Rock Stratigraphy", Geophysical Prospecting, 37(5), pp.531-551. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2478.1989.tb02221.x
- Geophysical Survey Systems, Inc. (2005), "GSSI Handbook for RADAR Inspection of Concrete", GSSI, 38.
- Kim, Y. J., Lee, S. S., Ahn, B. Y., and Kim, Y. G. (2000), "Examination on the Influence of Depth, Size and Interval of Rebar on the Signal of Ground Penetrating Radar", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, 4(2), pp.167-174.
- Kim, Y. S. and Lee, C. (1993), "Probabilistic Study of Surface Subsidence due to the Collapse of Underground Void during Earthquakes", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineering, 13(4), pp.217-226.
- Kwon, K. S. and Park Y. J. (2001), "Stability Assessment of Building Foundation over Abandoned Mines", Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, 11(2), pp.174-181.
- Mohammadi, S. D., Nikoudel, M. R., Rahimi, H., and Khamehchiyan, M. (2008), "Application of the Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) for Determination of the Engineering Parameters of Sandy Soils", Engineering Geology, Elsevier, 101(3), 195-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2008.05.006
- Rial, F. I., Lorenzo, H., Pereira, M., and Armesto, J. (2009), "Waveform Analysis of UWB GPR Antennas", Sensors, 9(3), 1454-1470. https://doi.org/10.3390/s90301454
- Santamarina, J. C., Klein, K. A., and Fam, M. A. (2001), "Soils and Waves-Particulate Materials Behavior, Characterization and Process Monitoring", John Wiley and Sons, NY, 448.
- Scala, A. J. (1956), "Simple Methods of Flexible Pavement Design Using Cone Penetrometers", New Zealand Engineering, 11(2), 34.
Supported by : 한국연구재단