- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A comparative assessment of bagging ensemble models for modeling concrete slump flow
Aydogmus, Hacer Yumurtaci;Erdal, Halil Ibrahim;Karakurt, Onur;Namli, Ersin;Turkan, Yusuf S.;Erdal, Hamit
- 투고 : 2014.11.01
- 심사 : 2015.11.06
- 발행 : 2015.11.25
In the last decade, several modeling approaches have been proposed and applied to estimate the high-performance concrete (HPC) slump flow. While HPC is a highly complex material, modeling its behavior is a very difficult issue. Thus, the selection and application of proper modeling methods remain therefore a crucial task. Like many other applications, HPC slump flow prediction suffers from noise which negatively affects the prediction accuracy and increases the variance. In the recent years, ensemble learning methods have introduced to optimize the prediction accuracy and reduce the prediction error. This study investigates the potential usage of bagging (Bag), which is among the most popular ensemble learning methods, in building ensemble models. Four well-known artificial intelligence models (i.e., classification and regression trees CART, support vector machines SVM, multilayer perceptron MLP and radial basis function neural networks RBF) are deployed as base learner. As a result of this study, bagging ensemble models (i.e., Bag-SVM, Bag-RT, Bag-MLP and Bag-RBF) are found superior to their base learners (i.e., SVM, CART, MLP and RBF) and bagging could noticeable optimize prediction accuracy and reduce the prediction error of proposed predictive models.
bagging (bootstrap aggregating);classification and regression trees;ensemble learning;multilayer perceptron;support vector machines
- Aertsen, W., Kint, V., Orshoven, J., Ozkan, K. and Muys, B. (2010), "Comparison and ranking of different modelling techniques for prediction of site index in Mediterranean mountain forests", Ecol. Model., 221, 1119-1130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2010.01.007
- Abellan, J. and Masegosa, A.R. (2012), "Bagging schemes on the presence of class noise in classification", Exp. Syst. Appl., 39(8), 6827-6837. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.01.013
- Anderson, D. and McNeill, G. (1992), Artificial neural networks technology. Rome Laboratory, A DACS State of the Art Report, ELIN: A011, New York.
- Basak, D., Pal, S. and Patranabis, D.C. (2007), "Support vector regression", Neu. Information Pro. Lett. Rev., 11(10), 203-224.
- Borra, S. and Di Ciaccio, A. (2010), "Measuring the prediction error. A comparison of cross-validation, bootstrap and covariance penalty methods", Comput. Stat. Data An., 54(12), 2976-2989. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2010.03.004
- Breiman, L., Friedman, J.H., Olshen, R.A. and Stone, C.J. (1984), Classification and regression trees, Wadsworth, Int. Group, Belmont, California.
- Breiman, L. (1996), "Bagging predictors", Mach. Learn., 24(2), 123-140.
- Breiman, L. (1999), Using adaptive bagging to debias regressions., Technical Report No. 547 of University of CA, Berkeley.
- Buhlmann, P. and Yu, B. (2002), "Analyzing bagging", Statist., 30(4), 927-961. https://doi.org/10.1214/aos/1031689014
- Chou, J.S. and Tsai, C.F. (2012), "Concrete compressive strength analysis using a combined classification and regression technique", Automat. Constr., 24, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2012.02.001
- Chou, J.S. and Pham, A.D. (2013), "Enhanced artificial intelligence for ensemble approach to predicting high performance concrete compressive strength", Constr. Build. Mater., 49, 554-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.08.078
- Coppin, B. (2004), Artificial intelligence illuminated., Jones and Bartlett Publishers; Massachusetts.
- Cortes, C. and Vapnik, V. (1995), "Support vector networks", Mach. Learn., 20, 273-297.
- Erdal, H.I., Karakurt, O. and Namli, E. (2013), "High performance concrete compressive strength forecasting using ensemble models based on discrete wavelet transform", Eng. Appl. Artif. Intel., 26(4), 1246-1254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2012.10.014
- Erdal, H.I. (2013), "Two-level and hybrid ensembles of decision trees for high performance concrete compressive strength prediction", Eng. Appl. Artif. Intel., 26(7), 1689-1697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2013.03.014
- Erdal, H.I. and Karakurt, O. (2013), "Advancing monthly streamflowprediction accuracy of CART models using ensemble learning paradigms", J. Hydrol., 477, 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.11.015
- Ferraris, C.F. (1999), "Measurement of the rheological properties of high performance concrete: state of the art report", J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stan., 104(5), 461-478. https://doi.org/10.6028/jres.104.028
- Ferraris, C.F., Brower, L., Ozyildirim, C. and Daczko, J. (2000), "Workability of self-compacting concrete", Int'l symposium on high performance concrete proceedings, Natl. Inst. Stan, Florida.
- Gambhir, M.L. (2004), Concrete Technology, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited.
- Hancock, T., Put, R., Coomans, D., Vanderheyden, Y. and Everingham,Y. (2005), "A performance comparison of modern statistical techniques for molecular descriptor selection and retention prediction in chromatographic QSRR studies", Chem. Intel. Lab.Syst., 76 (2), 185-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2004.11.001
- Haykin, S. (1999), Neural Networks: A comprehensive foundation, 2nd Editions Pearson Education, 9th Indian reprint 2005, India.
- Heshmati, A.A.R., Salehzade, H., Alavi, A.H., Gandomi, A.H. and Abadi, M.M. (2008), "A multi expression programming application to high performance concrete", World Appl. Sci. J., 5(2), 215-223.
- Jia, J., Xiao, X., Liu, B. and Jiao, L. (2011), "Bagging-based spectral clustering ensemble selection", Pattern Recogn. Lett., 32(10),1456-1467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2011.04.008
- Karakurt, O., Erdal, H.I., Namli, E., Yumurtaci Aydogmus, H. and Turkan, Y.S. (2013), "Comparing ensembles of decision trees and neural networks for one-day-ahead streamflow prediction", Sci. Res. J. (SCIRJ), I(IV).
- Kewalramani, M.A. and Gupta, R. (2006), "Concrete compressive strength prediction using ultrasonic pulse velocity through artificial neural networks", Automat. Constr., 15(3), 374-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.07.003
- Minqiang, Li., Tian, Jin. and Fuzan, Chen. (2008), "Improving multiclass pattern recognition with a co-evolutionary RBFNN", Pattern Recogn. Lett., 29(4), 392-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2007.10.019
- Li, Y. (2006), "Predicting materials properties and behavior using classification and regression trees", Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 433, 261-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.06.100
- Nanthagopalan, P. and Santhanam, M. (2011), "Fresh and hardened properties of self-compacting concrete produced with manufactured sand", Cement Concrete Comp., 33(3), 353-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2010.11.005
- Orr, M.J.L. (1996), Introduction to radial basis function networks: centre for cognitive science, University of Edinburgh.
- Osman, I.H. and Laporte, G. (1996), "Metaheuristics: a bibliography", Ann. Oper. Res., 63, 513-623.
- Pino-Mejias, R., Jimenez-Gamero, M.D., Cubiles-de-la-Vega, M.D. and Pascual-Acosta, A. (2008), "Reduced bootstrap aggregating of learning algorithms", Pattern Recogn. Lett., 29, 265-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2007.10.002
- Refaeilzadeh, P., Tang, L. and Liu, H. (2009), Cross-validation, Encyclopedia of database systems. Springer.
- Rodriguez, J.D., Perez, A. and Lozano, J.A. (2010), "Sensitivity analysis of k-fold cross validation in prediction error estimation", Pattern Anal. Mach. Intel., IEEE Tran., 32(3), 569-575. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2009.187
- Thomas, P. and Thomas, A. (2011), "Multilayer perceptron for simulation models reduction: application to a sawmill workshop", Eng. Appl. Artif. Intel., 24, 646-657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2011.01.004
- Topcu, I.B. and Saridemir, M. (2008), "Prediction of compressive strength of concrete containing fly ash using artificial neural networks and fuzzy logic", Comput. Mater. Sci., 41(3), 305-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2007.04.009
- Tregger, N., Gregori, A., Ferrara, L. and Shah, S. (2012), "Correlating dynamic segregation of self-consolidating concrete to the slump-flow test", Constr. Build. Mater., 28, 499-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.08.052
- Vapnik, V.N. (2000), The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory, 2nd Editions, Springer-verlag New York Inc.
- Wang, G., Hao, J., Mab. J. and Jiang, H. (2011), "A comparative assessment of ensemble learning for credit scoring", Exp. Syst. Appl., 38, 223-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2010.06.048
- Wang, G., Ma, J., Huang, L. and Xu, K. (2012), "Two credit scoring models based on dual strategy ensemble trees", Knowl. Based Syst., 26, 61-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2011.06.020
- Yeh, I.C. (2007), "Modeling slump flow of concrete using second-order regressions and artificial neural networks", Cement Concrete Comp., 29, 474-480. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2007.02.001
- Yen, T., Tang, C.W., Chang, C.S. and Chen, K.H. (1999), "Flow behaviour of high strength high-performance concrete", Cement Concrete Comp., 21, 413-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(99)00026-8
- Vapnik, V., Golowich, S.E. and Smola, A. (1996), "Support vector method for function approximation, regression estimation, and signal processing", Adv. Neu. Inform. Pr. Syst. 9.
- Investigation of irradiated 1H-Benzo[b]pyrrole by ESR, thermal methods and learning algorithm vol.171, pp.5-6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.5.741
- Forecasting Bank Failure: Base Learners, Ensembles and Hybrid Ensembles vol.49, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.5.741
- Bagging ensemble models for bank profitability: An emprical research on Turkish development and investment banks vol.49, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.5.741
- Analysis of Poly(2-Hydroxyethyl~Methacrylate)-co- Poly(4-Vinyl Pyridine) Copolymers [COP2,4] Irradiated: an EPR study vol.130, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.5.741