- Volume 13 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Logic and Method of Phenomenological Research for Online Games
온라인게임 연구를 위한 현상학적 연구의 논리와 방법
- Kim, Ki-Suk (Dept. of Holography 3D Contents, Kwangwoon Graduate School) ;
- Shim, Sun-Ae (Dept. of Holography 3D Contents, Kwangwoon Graduate School) ;
- Jong, Hyung-Won (Dept. of Game Studies, Kwangwoon Graduate School of Information Contents)
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2015.11.20
- Published : 2015.11.28
The purpose of the present study is to understand the cultural aspects of the games through the logic and methods of phenomenological study for online games and to propose phenomenological research methods to many researchers performing various studies on the characteristics, addiction, culture, nature, features and types of the players. In particular, the way was investigated to study the game culture through the logic and methods of phenomenological study. Phenomenological research methods will help how to understand the game as a way to understand the cultural context of the specific and vivid life of gamers experience and human reality. This study is expected to inspire continuously more interesting and persistent phenomenological studies of many researchers with interests in the new research methods.
- Jang. Y. Kim, S. "The impact of computer use on adolescents' social relationship and school adjustment: An analysis of Korean Youth Panel Survey data. Journal of communication research",Vol. 45 No. 1, pp. 67-96, 2008. https://doi.org/10.22174/jcr.2008.45.1.67
- Yoon, T. "Game as a text, gamer as a participant: A cultural studies' approach to digital games, Media and society", Vol 15, No. 3, pp. 96-130, 2007.
- Park, S. "The Role of Cultural Contents in the History of Art. Humanities Contens", pp177-197, 2003.
- Griffiths, M. "Does Internet and computer" addiction" exist? Some case study evidence. CyberPsychology and Behavior",Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 211-218, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1089/109493100316067
- Kim, M., Hong, Y. "Achievement and Future Direction of Researching Korean Computer Game. Journal of Game Industry", No. 3, pp.9-38, 2004.
- Jeon, G. "Studies in the Field of Humanities and Social Science. Journal of Cybercommunication Academic Society", Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 127-176, 2010.
- Jeon, G. "Analysis on the Trends and Characteristics of the Game Studies in Korea. Korea Humanities Content Society", No. 18, pp. 197-255, 2010.
- Chen, Y., Chen, P., Hwang, J., Korba, L.,Song, R., Yee, G. "An analysis of online gaming crime characteristics. Internet Research", Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 246-261, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240510602672
- Ragin, C. C.: "The Comparative Method: Moving Beyond Qualitative and Quantitative Strategies. Los Angeles: Berkeley", 1987
- Fraenkel, J. R., & Wallen, N. E. "Quantitative research in social studies education. Handbook of research on social studies teaching and learning. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company", 1991.
- Goetz, J. P. & LeCompte, M. D. "Qualitative research in social studies education. Handbook of research on social studies teaching and learning, a project of the National Council for the Social Studies. New York: MacMillan Publishing Co", pp 56-67, 1991.
- Kwon, K., Ryu, H., & Seo, E. A "study on emersion experiences of internet pc game heavy users: focusing on college students. Journal of Ewha Nursing Research", No. 33, pp. 138-167, 2000.
- Suh, H. A "study on the immersion experience through digital media: Focused online game players. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Women's University", 2003.
- Sung, Y. An "ethnographic study on the process of onlinegame indulgence among adolescents. Korea Journal of Youth Counse",No. 11, pp. 96-115, 2003.
- Kwon, J. A "Qualitative Case Study about Effect of Game-Type Substitution Therapy on Adolescent's Game Addiction Treatment. Korean journal of youth studies", Vol. 11 No. 3, pp. 93-114, 2004.
- Kim, C. A "Qualitative study on experience of using PC room elementary students. Unpublished master's thesis, Jinju University", 2008
- Yoo, H. "Logic and methods of phenomenological research: Max van Manen's perspectives of hermeneutic phenomenological research methodology, family&counseling", Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 1-20, 2005.
- Lee, H. "A Study on the caregiving Experience of the husband Who are caring for spouses with Alzheimer in an Elderly Couple Household: With Giofgi's Phenomenological Research Method, doctorate thesis, Seoul: Ewha Womans University", 2005.
- Jung, R. "Qualitative Study on the Parenting Experience of Parents with Down Syndrome Children. master's thesis, Chungcheongbuk-do: Korea National University of Education", 2009.
- Jung H. "Experiences of spouses taking care of their early demented husband : a phenomenological research, master's thesis, Seoul: Hanyang University", 2010.
- Van Manen, M. "Researching lived experience : human science for an action sensitive pedagogy", (Ahn, K, K. Shin, Trans.). Seoul: Dongnyok Press, 1994.
- Lee, G. "Phenomenology and the curriculum reconceptualization movement. Curriculum Research", Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 1-25, 2006.
- Lee, J. "Focusing on Middle Class, Unemployed Housewives's Experiences = Phenomenological Study of Mothers' Experiences with their 12th Grade Child in Korea . The Educational Research for Tomorrow", No. 7, pp. 95-120, 2004.
- Lee, N. "Phenomenology and Hermeneutics-Husserl, Heidegger, Gadamer", 1995.
- Patton, M. Q. "Qualitative evaluation and research methods . SAGE Publications, inc", 1990.
- Jun, G., Park D. "Digital. Media. Culture. Seoul: Communication Books", 2005.
- Byung, C., Kyung, H. A "Qualitative Study on Sexual Minority Youths' Formation Processes of Sexual Identity. Studies on Korean Youth", No. 19, pp. 99-128, 2012.
- Omery, A. "Phenomenology: A Method for Nursing Research, Advanced in Nursing Science", Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 49-63, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198301000-00010
- Van Manen, M. "Researching Lived Experience, Human Science for an Action Sensitive Pedalogy. London, Ontario: Althouse", 1990.
- Cohen, M. Z. "A historical overview of the phenomenologic movement. Image: The Journal of Nursing Scholarship", Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 31-34, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.1987.tb00584.x
- Shin, G. "Criteria for Critique of Qualitative Nursing Research. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing", Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 497- 506, 1996.
- van Manen, Max. "Phenomenology of practice: meaning-giving methods in phenomenological research and writing. Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press", 2014.
- Bollnow, O. F. "Padagogische Anthropologie". (H. Jung, I, Oh, Trans, 1999), Seoul: Moonumsa.(Original publication date 1971).
- Merleau-Ponty, M. "Phenomenologie de la Perception (I. Ryu, Trans.). Seoul: Moonji Publishing", 2004.