- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
C-kit Mutations in Endometrial Cancer: Correlation with Tumor Histologic Type
- Kafshdooz, Taiebeh (Women's Reproductive Health Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ardabili, Seyyed Mojtaba Mohaddes (Medical Faculty, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kafshdooz, Leila (Women's Reproductive Health Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Tabrizi, Ali Dastranj (Women's Reproductive Health Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghojazadeh, Morteza (Women's Reproductive Health Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Gharesouran, Jalal (Medical Faculty, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akbarzadeh, Abolfazl (Department of Medical Nanotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Objective: Endometrial cancer is the fourth most common cancer among women in developed countries. Affected patients may benefit from systemic chemotherapy, alone or in combination with targeted therapies if the disease is clinically diagnosed prior to expansion and metastasis to other organs. The aim of this study was to evaluate the prognostic role of c-kit mutations and comparision with tumor type and grade in human uterine endometrial carcinomas. Materials and Methods: Seventy five patients with endometrial carcinoma and seventy five normal controls were studied for possible mutations in exon 17 of the c-kit gene using single strand conformational polymorphisms and sequencing. Results: c-kit mutation in exon 17 appeared to be significantly different between endometrial carcinoma and normal endometrium. The pattern and frequency of the mutations was also shown to be different between tumors from different stages.
Endometrial carcinoma;tumor type and grade;c-kit mutation
- Catasus L, Gallardo A, Cuatrecasas M, et al (2009). Concomitant PI3K-AKT and p53 alterations in endometrial carcinomas are associated with poor prognosis. Modern Pathol, 22, 522-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2009.5
- Jiang X-F, Tang Q-L, Zou Y, et al (2014). Does HBV infection increase risk of endometrial carcinoma? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 713-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.713
- Kafshdooz T, Tabrizi AD, Ardabili SMM, et al (2014). Polymorphism of p53 Gene Codon 72 in Endometrial Cancer: Correlation with Tumor Grade and Histological Type. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9603-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9603
- Karlsson S, Olsson B, Klinga-Levan K (2009). Gene expression profiling predicts a three-gene expression signature of endometrial adenocarcinoma in a rat model. Cancer Cell Int, 9, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2867-9-12
- Lammie A, Drobnjak M, Gerald W, et al (1994). Expression of c-kit and kit ligand proteins in normal human tissues. J of Histochem Cytochem, 42, 1417-25. https://doi.org/10.1177/42.11.7523489
- Leath 3rd CA, Straughn Jr JM, Conner MG, et al (2004). Immunohistochemical evaluation of the c-kit protooncogene in sarcomas of the uterus: a case series. J Reproduct Med, 49, 71-5.
- Lee E-J, Kim T-J, Kim DS, et al (2010). p53 alteration independently predicts poor outcomes in patients with endometrial cancer: a clinicopathologic study of 131 cases and literature review. Gynecol oncol, 116, 533-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2009.11.018
- Liu F-S (2007). Molecular carcinogenesis of endometrial cancer. Taiwanese J Obstet Gynecol, 46, 26-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1028-4559(08)60102-3
- Lux ML, Rubin BP, Biase TL, et al (2000). KIT extracellular and kinase domain mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Am J Pathol, 156, 791-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)64946-2
- Meyts ERD, Skakkebkk NE (1994). Expression of the c-kit protein product in carcinoma-in-situ and invasive testicular germ cell tumours. Int J Androl, 17, 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2605.1994.tb01225.x
- Miettinen M, Sobin LH, Sarlomo-Rikala M (2000). Immunohistochemical spectrum of GISTs at different sites and their differential diagnosis with a reference to CD117 (KIT). Modern Pathol, 13, 1134-42. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3880210
- Naik VR, Hasnan J (2008). C-kit proto-oncogene expression in uterine leiomyosarcomas: case series. Int Med J, 7, 51-4.
- Niwa Y, Hirose K, Matsuo K, et al (2005). Association of p73 G4C14-to-A4T14 polymorphism at exon 2 and< i> p53 Arg72Pro polymorphism with the risk of endometrial cancer in Japanese subjects. Cancer letters, 219, 183-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2004.10.018
- Rubin BP, Singer S, Tsao C, et al (2001). KIT activation is a ubiquitous feature of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Cancer Res, 61, 8118-21.
- Sakuma Y, Sakurai S, Oguni S, et al (2003). Alterations of the c-kit gene in testicular germ cell tumors. Cancer science, 94, 486-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2003.tb01470.x
- Sakurai S, Fukasawa T, Chong JM, et al (1999). C-kit gene abnormalities in gastrointestinal stromal tumors (tumors of interstitial cells of cajal). Cancer Science, 90, 1321-8.
- Abargel A, Avinoach I, Kravtsov V, et al (2004). Expression of p27 and p53: comparative analysis of uterine carcinosarcoma and endometrial carcinoma. Int J Gynecological Cancer, 14, 354-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1048-891x.2004.014221.x
- Alkushi A, Irving J, Hsu F, et al (2003). Immunoprofile of cervical and endometrial adenocarcinomas using a tissue microarray. Virchows Archiv, 442, 271-7.
- Arber DA, Tamayo R, Weiss LM (1998). Paraffin section detection of the c-< i> kit gene product (CD 117) in human tissues: Value in the diagnosis of mast cell disorders. Human pathol, 29, 498-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(98)90066-1
- Boissan M, Feger F, Guillosson JJ, et al (2000). c-Kit and c-kit mutations in mastocytosis and other hematological diseases. J Leukocyte Biol, 67, 135-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/jlb.67.2.135
- Castellsague X, Diaz M, De Sanjose S, et al (2006). Worldwide human papillomavirus etiology of cervical adenocarcinoma and its cofactors: implications for screening and prevention. J National Cancer Inst, 98, 303-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djj067
- Scobie JV, Acs G, Bandera CA, et al (2003). C-kit immunoreactivity in endometrial adenocarcinomas and its clinicopathologic significance. Int J Gynecol Pathol, 22, 149-55. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004347-200304000-00006
- Sever M, Jones TD, Roth LM, et al (2005). Expression of CD117 (c-kit) receptor in dysgerminoma of the ovary: diagnostic and therapeutic implications. Modern Pathol, 18, 1411-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800463
- Thanapprapasr D, Thanapprapasr K (2013). Molecular therapy as a future strategy in endometrial cancer. Asian Pac J Prev, 14, 3419-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3419
- Tsuura Y, Hiraki H, Watanabe K, et al (1994). Preferential localization of c-kit product in tissue mast cells, basal cells of skin, epithelial cells of breast, small cell lung carcinoma and seminoma/dysgerminoma in human: immunohistochemical study on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues. Virchows Archiv, 424, 135-41.
- Went PT, Dirnhofer S, Bundi M, et al (2004). Prevalence of KIT expression in human tumors. J Clin Oncol, 22, 4514-22. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.10.125
- Winter Iii WE, Seidman JD, Krivak TC, et al (2003). Clinicopathological analysis of< i> c-kit expression in carcinosarcomas and leiomyosarcomas of the uterine corpus. Gynecol Oncol, 91, 3-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2003.06.001
- Distinct expression profile of lncRNA in endometrial carcinoma vol.36, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.5173