- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Mutagenicity Assessment of Drinking Water in Combination with Flavored Black Tea Bags: a Cross Sectional Study in Tehran
- Alebouyeh, Farzaneh (Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Islamic Azad University, Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch (IAUPS)) ;
- Bidgoli, Sepideh Arbabi (Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Islamic Azad University, Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch (IAUPS)) ;
- Ziarati, Parisa (Department of Medicinal Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Islamic Azad University, Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch (IAUPS)) ;
- Heshmati, Masoomeh (Department of Molecular and Cellular Sciences, Faculty of Advanced Sciences and Technology, Islamic Azad University, Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch (IAUPS)) ;
- Qomi, Mahnaz
- Published : 2015.12.03
Diseases related to water impurities may present as major public health burdens. The present study aimed to assess the mutagenicity of drinking water from different zones of Tehran, and evaluate possible health risks through making tea with tea bags, by Ames mutagenicity test using TA 100, TA 98 and YG1029 strains. For this purpose, 450 water samples were collected over the period of July to December 2014 from 5 different zones of Tehran. Except for one sample, no mutagenic potential was detected during these two seasons and the MI scores were almost normal (
Drinking water;tea bags;Ames test;mutagenicity;Tehran;Iran
- Bain R, Cronk R, Wright J, et al (2014). Fecal Contamination of Drinking-Water in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS Med, 11, 1001644. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001644
- Bhattacharya U, Adak S, Majumder NS, et al (2014). Antimutagenic and anticancer activity of Darjeeling tea in multiple test systems. BMC Complement Altern Med, 2, 327.
- Bidgoli SA, Khorasani H, Keihan H, et al (2012). Role of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the occurrence of benign uterine leiomyomata: special emphasis on AhR tissue levels. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5445-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5445
- Ciemniak A, Mocek K,( 2010). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in tea and tea infusions. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig, 61, 243-8.
- Dhaini HR, Nassif RM (2014). Exposure assessment of endocrine disruptors in bottled drinking water of Lebanon. Environ Monit Assess, 186, 5655-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-014-3810-x
- Doak SH, Manshian B, Jenkins GJ, et al (2012). In vitro genotoxicity testing strategy for nanomaterials and the adaptation of current OECD guidelines. Mutat Res, 745, 104-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2011.09.013
- Ileka-Priouzeau S, Campagna C, Legay C, et al (2015). Women exposure during pregnancy to haloacetaldehydes and haloacetonitriles in drinking water and risk of small-for gestational-age neonate. Environ Res, 137, 338-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2015.01.005
- Jain A, Manghani C, Kohli S, et al (2013). Tea and human health: the dark shadows. Toxicol Lett, 220, 82-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2013.04.010
- Jansson K, Maki-Paakkanen J, Vaittinen SL, et al (1993). Citogenetic effects of 3-chloro-4(dichloromethyl)-5hydroxy-2(5H)-furanone (MX) in rat peripheral lymphocytes In Vitro and In Vivo. Mutat Res, 299, 25-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1218(93)90115-T
- Karyab H, Yunesian M, Nasseri S, et al (2013). Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in drinking water of Tehran, Iran. J Environ Health Sci Eng, 11, 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/2052-336X-11-25
- Mortelmans K, Zeiger E (2000). The Ames Salmonella/microsome mutagenicity assay. Mutat Res, 455, 29-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-5107(00)00064-6
- Kumar A, Pandey AK, Singh SS, et al (2011). Cellular uptake and mutagenic potential of metal oxide nanoparticles in bacterial cells. Chemosphere, 83, 1124-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.01.025
- Kusamran WR, Tanthasri N, Meesiripan N, et al (2003). Mutagenicity of the drinking water supply in Bangkok. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 31-8.
- Abda A, Benouareth DE, Tabet M, et al (2015). Mutagenicity and genotoxicity of drinking water in Guelma region, Algeria. Environ Monit Assess, 187, 4223.
- Anon (1997). OECD GUIDELINE FOR TESTING OF CHEMICALS, Bacterial Reverse Mutation Test.
- Li B, Jin Y, Xu Y, et al (2011). Safety evaluation of tea (Camellia sinensis (L.O. Kuntze) flower extract: assessment of mutagenicity, and acute and subchronic toxicity in rats. J Ethnopharmacol, 133, 583-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.02.030
- Liu SZ, Chen WQ, Wang N, et al (2014). Dietary factors and risk of pancreatic cancer: a multi-centre case-control study in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7947-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7947
- Li Y, Chen DH, Yan J, et al (2012). Genotoxicity of silver nanoparticles evaluated using the Ames test and in vitro micronucleus assay. Mutat Res, 745, 4-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2011.11.010
- Lupi S, Marconi S, Paiaro E, et al (2009). Mutagenicity evaluation with Ames test of hydro-alcoholic solution of terpenes. J Prev Med Hyg, 50, 170-4.
- Kumari M, Gupta SK, Mishra BK( 2015). Multi-exposure cancer and non-cancer risk assessment of trihalomethanes in drinking water supplies - A case study of Eastern region of India. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf, 113, 433-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2014.12.028
- Nema NK, Maity N, Sarkar BK, et al (2014). Determination of trace and heavy metals in some commonly used medicinal herbs in Ayurveda. Toxicol Ind Health, 30, 964-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0748233712468015
- Pongpiachan S, Choochuay C, Hattayanone M, et al (2013). Temporal and spatial distribution of particulate carcinogens and mutagens in Bangkok, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1879-87. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1879
- Pouretedal Z, Mazaheri M (2013). Aflatoxins in black tea in Iran. Food Addit Contam Part B Surveill, 6, 127-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/19393210.2013.764551
- Punvittayagul C, Sringarm K, Chaiyasut C, et al (2014). Mutagenicity and antimutagenicity of hydrophilic and lipophilic extracts of Thai northern purple rice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9517-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9517
- Qian Y, Zhu K, Wang Q, et al (2013). Antimutagenic activity and preventive effect of black tea on buccal mucosa cancer. Oncol Lett, 6, 595-9. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1401
- Rezaee E, Mirlohi M, Fallah A, et al (2014). A systematic review on exposure to toxic and essential elements through black tea consumption in iran: could it be a major risk for human health? Int J Prev Med, 5, 1351-9.
- Rincon-Bedoya E, Velasquez N, Quijano J, et al (2013). Mutagenicity and genotoxicity of water treated for human consumption induced by chlorination by-products. J Environ Health, 75, 28-36.
- Sato G, Asakura S, Hakura A, et al (2000). Assessment of potential mutagenic activities of a novel benzothiazole MAO-A inhibitor E2011 using Salmonella typhimurium YG1029. Mutat Res, 472, 163-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(00)00139-X
- Tong GX, Liang H, Chai J, et al (2014). Association of risk of gastric cancer and consumption of tobacco, alcohol and tea in the Chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8765-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8765
- Villanueva CM, Font-Ribera L (2012) Health impact of disinfection by-products in swimming pools. Ann Ist Super Sanita, 48, 387-96. https://doi.org/10.4415/ANN_12_04_06
- Villanueva CM, Kogevinas M, Cordier S, et al (2014). Assessing exposure and health consequences of chemicals in drinking water: current state of knowledge and research needs. Environ Health Perspect, 122, 213-21.
- Washio M, Mori M, Mikami K, et al (2014). Risk factors for renal cell carcinoma in a Japanese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9065-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9065
- Watanabe M, Igarashi T, Kaminuma T, et al (1994). N-hydroxyarylamine O-acetyltransferase of Salmonella typhimurium: proposal for a common catalytic mechanism of arylamine acetyltransferase enzymes. Environ Health Perspect, 102, 83-89. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.94102s783
- Water quality -- Sampling -- Part 1: Guidance on the design of sampling programmes and sampling techniques. s.l.:International standard.
- Wright JM, Schwartz J, Vartiainen T, et al (2002). 3-chloro-4(dichloromethyl)-5-hydroxy-2(5H)-furanon(MX) and mutagenic activity in massachusetts drinking water. Environ Health Perspect, 110, 157-64. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.02110157
- Yang DJ, Hwang LS, Lin JT (2007). Effects of different steeping methods and storage on caffeine, catechins and gallic acid in bag tea infusions. J Chromatogr A, 1156, 312-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2006.11.088
- Ziarati P, Bidgoli SA (2012). Evaluation of the nitrate content in leafy vegetables of southern parts of tehran: a four seasonal study. Scientificreports, 165, 1.
- Zhao L, Liu CL, Song QK, et al (2014). Association between dietary behavior and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Yanting. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8657-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8657