- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Serum Fucose Levels in Leukoplakia and Oral Cancer Patients
- Rai, Narendra Prakash (Department of Oral Medicine & Radiology, Lincoln's University College) ;
- Anekar, Jayaprasad (KVG Dental College & Hospital Sullia) ;
- Shivaraja, Shankara YM (Department of Biochemistry, KVG Medical College & Hospital Sullia) ;
- Divakar, Darshan Devang (Dental Biomaterials Research Chair, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University) ;
- Al Kheraif, Abdulaziz Abdullah (Dental Biomaterials Research Chair, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University) ;
- Ramakrishnaiah, Ravikumar (Dental Biomaterials Research Chair, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University) ;
- Sebastian, Roopa (Department of Biochemistry, KVG Medical College & Hospital Sullia) ;
- Raj, AC (KVG Dental College & Hospital Sullia) ;
- Al-Hazmi, Ali (Department of Family & Community Medicine, King Saud University) ;
- Mustafa, habil Mohamed (Malabar Dental College and Research Centre)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Background: Tumor markers, designated as a broad group of substances produced by malignancies, could be in the form of biochemical substances, immunological substances, cell surface changes and genetic alterations. Cancer, a disorder of cellular behavior is characterized by alteration of serum glycoproteins. L-fucose, a hexose, which is the terminal sugar in most of the plasma glycoproteins, may be useful as a tumor marker for the detection, monitoring and prognostic assessment of malignancies. The aim of the study was to ascertain the role of serum fucose as a biomarker for early detection of oral cancer and to compare serum fucose levels in healthy controls, leukoplakia and oral cancer patients. Materials and Methods: The study included 60 (100.0%) subjects, who were grouped as 20 (33.3%) control subjects, 20 (33.3%) squamous cell carcinoma patients and 20 (33.3%) leukoplakia patients. Fucose estimation was done using UV-visible spectrophotometry based on the method as adopted by Winzler using cysteine reagent. The results were analyzed statistically using ANOVA with Bonferroni post hoc tests. Results: Results showed a high significance in serum fucose in oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) and leukoplakia subjects compared to normal controls. There was a gradual increase in the values noted from control to leukoplakia and to squamous cell carcinoma. Conclusions: Estimation of serum fucose may be a reliable marker and can be used as an effective diagnostic biomarker in oral squamous cell carcinoma patients.
Cancer;leukoplakia;oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC);serum fucose
- Pindborg JJ (1981). Oral cancer and Precancer. First edition - Dorset Press, 12.
- Raval GN, Sainger RN, Rawal RM, et al (2002). Vitamin B12 and folate status in head and neck cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 155-62.
- Seibert FB, Seibert MV, Atno AJ, Campbell HW (1947). Variation in protein and polysaccharide content of sera in the chronic diseases, tuberculosis, sarcoidosis and carcinoma. J Clin Invest, 26, 90-102. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI101794
- Sharma NC, Sur BK (1967). Serum fucose levels and sialic acid levels in Indian children and adults under normal and pathological conditions. Ind J Med Res, 55, 380-4.
- Shah M, Telang S, Raval G (2008). Serum fucosylation changes in oral cancer and oral precancerous conditions. Cancer, 113, 336-46. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23556
- Shetlar MR, Foster JV, Kelly KH, et al (1947). The serum polysaccharide level in malignancy and other pathological states. Cancer Res, 9, 515-9.
- Silvia CRWD, Vasudevan DM, Prabhu KS (2001). Evaluation of serum glycoproteins in oral carcinoma. Indian J Clin Biochem, 16, 113-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02867579
- Taneja N, Bathi JR, Praveen S, Bhat K (2009). Serum glycoproteins as prognosticator in oral cancer patients- A follow up study. Int J Bio-Med Sci, 8, 74-82.
- Tormey DC, Davis TE, Walkers PT (1982). Tumor markers in principles of cancer treatment. New York: Academic Press, .
- Tsuda H, Moore MA (2001). Cancer screening: a review with particular attention to areas for future international research efforts. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 99-123.
- Wang JW, Ambros RA, Weber PB, Rusano TG (1995). Fucosyltransferase and alpha-L fucosidase activities and fucose levels in normal and malignant endometrial tissue. Cancer Res, 55, 3654-8.
- Winzler RJ (1955). In: Methods of biochemical analysis. Glick D, editor. Interscience Publishers Inc, New York, 279-377.
- Youakim A, Herscovics A (1985). Cell surface glycopeptides from human intestinal epithelial cell lines derived from normal colon and colon adenocarcinomas. Cancer Res, 45, 5505-11.
- Oliver RJ, MacDonald DG, Felix DH (2000). Aspects of cell proliferation in oral epithelial dysplastic lesions. J Oral Pathol Med, 29, 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0714.2000.290201.x
- Parwani RN, Parwani SR (2011). Serum fucose: a biomarker quantitative evaluation of serum fucose in oral squamous cell carcinoma patients. J Cancer Res Ther, 7, 143-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.82928
- Abbasi MM, Esfahlan RJ, Monfaredan A, et al (2014). Oral and IV dosages of doxorubicin-methotrexate loaded-nanoparticles inhibit progression of oral cancer by downregulation of matrix methaloproteinase 2 expression in Vivo. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10705-11.
- Arya DB, Bhatnagar (1974). Evaluation of serum fucose level. Ind J Surg, 36, 224-8.
- Bathi RJ (1991). Evaluation of glycoproteins as prognosticators in head and neck malignancy. Cancer, 67, 135-140. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19910101)67:1<135::AID-CNCR2820670124>3.0.CO;2-6
- Elkins, Rita MH (2003). Miracle sugars: the glyconutrient link to better health. pleasant grove, utah, USA: Woodland Publishing, 220.
- Fernandez-Rodriguez J, Paez de la Cadena M, Martinez-Zorzano VS, Rodriguez-Berrocal FJ (1997). Fucose levels in sera and in tumours of colorectal adenocarcinoma patients. Cancer Lett, 121, 147-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00343-1
- Gurudath S, Ganapathy KS, Sujatha D, et al (2012). Estimation of superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase in oral submucous fibrosis, oral leukoplakia and oral cancer - a comparative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4409-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4409
- Hassona Y, Scully C, Almangush A, Baqain Z, Sawair F (2014). Oral potentially malignant disorders among dental patients: a pilot study in Jordan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10427-31.
- Kadam CV, Katkam RV, Suryakar AN, Kumbar KM, Kadam DP (2011). Biochemical markers in oral cancer. Biomedical Res, 22, 76-80.
- Kanagi R (1997). Carbohydrate mediated cell adhesion involved in hematogenous metastasis of cancer. Glycoconj J, 14, 577-84. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018532409041
- Khovidhunkit SP, Buajeeb W, Sanguansin S, Poomsawat S, Weerapradist W (2008). Detection of human papillomavirus in oral squamous cell carcinoma, leukoplakia and lichen planus in Thai Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 771-5.
- Kimura Y, Fujieda S, Bayashi TT, et al (2000). Conventional tumor markers are prognostic indicators in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer let, 155, 163-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(00)00423-7
- Krishna A, Singh RK, Singh S, et al (2014). Demographic risk factors, affected anatomical sites and clinicopathological profile for oral squamous cell carcinoma in a north indian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6755-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6755
- Kumar S, Muniyandi M (2010). Tobacco use and oral leukoplakia: cross-sectional study among the gond tribe in madhya pradesh. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1515-8.
- Lotfi A, Mohammadi G, Tavassoli A, et al (2015). Serum levels of MMP9 and MMP2 in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16 , 1327-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1327
- Mac Dougall SL, Schwarting GA, Parkinson D, Sullivan AK (1987). Increased fucosylation of glycolipids in a human leukaemia cell line (K562-Clone I) with decreased sensitivity to NK mediated lysis. Immunol, 62, 75-80.
- Moore MA, Eser S, Igisinov N, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in north-western and central asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 17-32.
- Glycosylation: a hallmark of cancer? vol.34, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10719-016-9755-2