- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Effects of Fresh Yellow Onion Consumption on CEA, CA125 and Hepatic Enzymes in Breast Cancer Patients: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial
- Jafarpour-Sadegh, Farnaz (Drug Applied Research Center, Also Department of Biochemistry and Dietetics, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Montazeri, Vahid (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Surgery Ward, Nour-Nejat Hospital) ;
- Adili, Ali (Clinic of Radiation Oncology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Esfehani, Ali (Hematology and Oncology Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rashidi, Mohammad-Reza (Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mesgari, Mehran (Drug Applied Research Center, Department of Biochemistry and Dietetics, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pirouzpanah, Saeed (Drug Applied Research Center, Also Department of Biochemistry and Dietetics, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Onion (Allium cepa) consumption has been remarked in folk medicine which has not been noted to be administered so far as an adjunct to conventional doxorubicin-based chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. To our knowledge, this is the first study aimed to investigate the effects of consuming fresh yellow onions on hepatic enzymes and cancer specific antigens compared with a low-onion containing diet among breast cancer (BC) participants treated with doxorubicin. This parallel design randomized controlled clinical trial was conducted on 56 BC patients whose malignancy was confirmed with histopathological examination. Subjects were assigned in a stratified-random allocation into either group received body mass index dependent 100-160 g/d of onion as high onion group (HO; n=28) or 30-40 g/d small onion in low onion group (LO; n=28) for eight weeks intervention. Participants, care givers and laboratory assessor were blinded to the assignments (IRCT registry no: IRCT2012103111335N1). The compliance of participants in the analysis was appropriate (87.9%). Comparing changes throughout pre- and post-dose treatments indicated significant controls on carcinoembryonic antigen, cancer antigen-125 and alkaline phosphatase levels in the HO group (P<0.05). Our findings for the first time showed that regular onion administration could be effective for hepatic enzyme conveying adjuvant chemotherapy relevant toxicity and reducing the tumor markers in BC during doxorubicin-based chemotherapy.
Breast cancer;onion;CEA;CA125;hepatic enzyme;doxorubicin;intervention
- Adebamowo CA, Cho E, Sampson L, et al (2005 ). Dietary flavonols and flavonol-rich foods intake and the risk of breast cancer. Int J Cancer, 114, 628-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20741
- Arunachalam S, Tirupathi Pichiah PB, Achiraman S (2013). Doxorubicin treatment inhibits pparc and may induce lipotoxicity by mimicking a type 2 diabetes-like condition in rodent models. FEBS Letters, 587, 105-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2012.11.019
- Benitez V, Molla E, Martin-Cabrejas MA, et al (2011). Characterization of industrial onion wastes (Allium cepa L.): dietary fibre and bioactive compounds. Plant Foods Hum Nutr, 66, 48-57 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-011-0212-x
- Bradbury KE, Appleby PN, Key TJ (2014). Fruit, vegetable, and fiber intake in relation to cancer risk: findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Am J Clin Nutr, 100, 394S-8S. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.113.071357
- Bulucu F, Ocal R, Karadurmus N, et al (2009). Effects of N-acetylcysteine, deferoxamine and selenium on doxorubicin- induced hepatotoxicity. Biol Trace Elem Res. 132, 184-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-009-8377-y
- Challier B, Perarnau JM, Viel JF (1998). Garlic, onion and cereal fibre as protective factors for breast cancer: a french casecontrol study. Eur J Epidemiol, 14, 737. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007512825851
- Crib AE, Peyrou M, Muruganandan S, et al (2005). The endoplasmic reticulum in xenobiotic toxicity. Drug Metab Rev, 37, 405-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/03602530500205135
- Dudka J, Gieroba R, Korga A, et al (2012). Different effects of resveratrol on dose-related doxorubicin-induced heart and liver toxicity. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 1-10.
- Ebeling FJ, Stieber P, Untch M, et al (2002). Serum CEA and CA15-3 as prognostic factors in primary breast cancer. Brit J Cancer, 86, 1217-22. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600248
- Ebrahimi-Mamaghani M, Saghafi-Asl M, Pirouzpanah S, et al (2014). Effects of raw red onion consumption on metabolic features in overweight or obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Obstet Gynaecol Res, 40, 1067-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/jog.12311
- Elberry AA, Mufti S, Al-Maghrabi J, et al (2014). Immunomodulatory effect of red onion (Allium cepa Linn) scale extract on experimentally induced atypical prostatic hyperplasia in Wistar rats. Mediators Inflamm, 2014, 640746.
- Hosseinimehr SJ (2007). Trends in the development of radioprotective agents. Drug Discov, 12, 794-805.
- Hosseinimehr SJ, Azadbakht M, Mousavi SM, et al (2007). Radioprotective effects of hawthorn fruit extract against c-irradiation in mouse bone marrow cells. J Radiat Res, 48, 63-8. https://doi.org/10.1269/jrr.06032
- Injac R, Boskovic M, Perse M, et al (2008). Acute doxorubicin nephrotoxicity in rats with malignant neoplasm can be successfully treated with fullerenol C60(OH)24 via suppression of oxidative stress. Pharmacol Rep, 60, 742-9.
- Khaki A, Farnam A, Davatgar-Badie A, et al (2012). Treatment effects of onion (Allium cepa) and ginger (Zingiber officinale) on sexual behavior of rat after inducing an antiepileptic drug (lamotrigine). Balkan Med J, 29, 236-42.
- Lanzotti V (2006). The analysis of onion and garlic. J Chromatogr, 1112, 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2005.12.016
- Leviac F, La Vecchiacd C, Gulieb C, et al (1993). Dietary factors and breast cancer risk in Aaud, Switzerland. Nutr Cancer, 19, 327-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589309514263
- Mansour EG, Ravdin PM, Dressier L (1994). Prognostic factors in early breast carcinoma. Cancer Metab, 74, 381
- McGuire WL, Clark GM (1992). Prognostic factors and treatment decisions in axillary-node-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 326, 1756-61. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199206253262607
- Norat T, Aune D, Chan D, et al (2014). Fruits and vegetables: updating the epidemiologic evidence for the WCRF/AICR lifestyle recommendations for cancer prevention. Cancer Treat Res, 159, 35-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-38007-5_3
- Obioha UE, Suru SM, Ola-Mudathir KF, et al (2009). Hepatoprotective potential of onion and garlic extracts on cadmium-induced oxidative damage in rats. Biol Trace Elem Res, 129, 143-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-008-8276-7
- Outomuro D, Grana DR, Azzato F, et al (2007). Adriamycininduced myocardial toxicity: new solutions for an old problem? Int J Cardiol, 117, 6-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2006.05.005
- Ozera J, Ratner M, Shaw M, et al (2008). The current state of serum biomarkers of hepatotoxicity. Toxicology, 245, 194-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2007.11.021
- Pierga JY, Hajage D, Bachelot T, et al (2012). High independent prognostic and predictive value of circulating tumor cells compared with serum tumor markers in a large prospective trial in first-line chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer patients. Ann Oncol, 23, 618-24. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr263
- Pirouzpanah S, Koohdani F (2011). Nutritional facts about macronutrients in cancer. In: Mehdipour P. (ed.) Brid Cell Biol Genetics Cancer Clin, 59-82.
- Pirouzpanah S, Taleban FA, Atri M, et al (2010). The effect of modifiable potentials on hypermethylation status of retinoic acid receptor-beta2 and estrogen receptor-alpha genes in primary breast cancer. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 2101-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9629-z
- Pirouzpanah S, Taleban FA, Mehdipour P, et al (2014a). The biomarker-based validity of a food frequency questionnaire to assess the intake status of folate, pyridoxine and cobalamin among Iranian primary breast cancer patients. Eur J Clin Nutr, 68, 316-23. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2013.209
- Pirouzpanah S, Taleban FA, Sabour S, et al (2012). Validation of food frequency questionnaire to assess folate intake statues in breast cancer patients. Razi J Med Sci, 18, 31-41.
- Pirouzpanah S, Taleban FA, Mehdipour P, et al (2014b). Plasma total homocysteine level in association with folate, pyridoxine, and cobalamin status among Iranian primary breast cancer patients. Nutr Cancer, 66, 1097-108. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2014.948213
- Singh AK, Pandey A, Tewari M, et al (2013). Advanced stage of breast cancer hoist alkaline phosphatase activity: risk factor for females in India Biotech, 3, 517-20.
- Tajaddini A, Pourzand A, Sanaat Z, Pirouzpanah S (2015). Dietary resistant starch contained foods and breast cancer risk: a case-control study in northwest of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4185-92. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4185
- Tiwari DK, Jin T, Behari J (2011). Bio-distribution and toxicity assessment of intravenously injected anti-HER2 antibody conjugated CdSe/ZnS quantum dots in Wistar rats. Int J Nanomedicine, 6, 463-75.
- Wang L, Lee IM, Zhang SM, et al (2009 ). Dietary intake of selected flavonols, flavones, and flavonoid-rich foods and risk of cancer in middle-aged and older women. Am J Clin Nutr, 89, 905-12. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26913
- Wiseman M (2008). The second World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research expert report. Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. Proc Nutr Soc, 67, 253-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002966510800712X
- Woo HD, Park S, Oh K, et al (2014). Diet and cancer risk in the Korean population: a meta- analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8509-19. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8509
- Zhang SJ, Hu Y, Qian HL, et al (2013). Expression and significance of ER, PR, VEGF, CA15-3, CA125 and CEA in judging the prognosis of breast cancer. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 3937-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3937
- Consumption of Fresh Yellow Onion Ameliorates Hyperglycemia and Insulin Resistance in Breast Cancer Patients During Doxorubicin-Based Chemotherapy: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial vol.16, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735416656915