- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Dietary Ziziphus jujuba Fruit Influence on Aberrant Crypt Formation and Blood Cells in Colitis-Associated Colorectal Cancer Mice
- Periasamy, Srinivasan (Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University) ;
- Liu, Chung-Teng (Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University) ;
- Wu, Wang-Hung (Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University) ;
- Chien, Se-Ping (Department of Food and Beverage Service, Tainan University of Technology) ;
- Liu, Ming-Yie (Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Ziziphus jujuba (ZJ) fruit is rich in bioactive functional components such as polysaccharides, triterpenoid acid, flavonoids and oleamide. It has been commonly used in the treatment of various diseases including diabetes, digestive disorders, diarrhea, skin infections, liver and urinary diseases. However, its dietary effect on chemoprevention of colon cancer has never been studied. The present study was to evaluate the protective effects of dietary ZJ on colitis-associated colon carcinogenesis in azoxymethane (AOM)-dextran sodium sulphate (DSS)-treated mice. AOM was injected (10 mg/kg b.wt., i.p.) and three cycles of 2% DSS in drinking water for 7 days with 14 days of normal drinking water in-between was administered to induce colitis-associated colon cancer. ZJ fruit was supplemented in feed as 5 and 10%. Dietary ZJ significantly attenuated aberrant crypt foci (ACF) formation thereby decreasing the progression of hyperplasia to dysplasia. In addition, it significantly reduced circulating white blood cells, lymphocytes, neutrophils, monocytes, eosinophils, basophils and platelets compared to colon cancer mice. We conclude that ZJ supplementation delayed the progression of colon cancer from hyperplasia to dysplasia and ultimately adenocarcinoma and cancer. In addition, it decreased circulating tumor-related leucocytes, main regulators of cancer inflammation. Therefore, dietary consumption of ZJ fruit attenuated the formation of ACF and delayed the progression of colon cancer.
Ziziphus jujuba;colon cancer;azoxymethane;blood cells;aberrant crypt foci
Supported by : Taiwan Ministry of Sciences and Technology
- Abdull Razis AF, Noor NM (2013). Cruciferous vegetables: dietary phytochemicals for cancer prevention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1565-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1565
- Absenger G, Szkandera J, Pichler M, et al (2013). A derived neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predicts clinical outcome in stage II and III colon cancer patients. Br J Cancer, 109, 395-400. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.346
- Baranyai Z, Josa V, Krzystanek M, et al (2013). Evaluation of thrombocytosis as predictive factor in colorectal cancer. Magy Seb, 66, 331-7. https://doi.org/10.1556/MaSeb.66.2013.6.5
- BHP, Bureau of Health Promotion (2007). Department of Health, R.O.C. (Taiwan). http://www.bhp.doh.gov.tw/BHPnet/Portal/StatisticsShow.aspx?No0200911300001
- Chen Q, Liu ZC, Cheng LP, et al (2012). Analysis of incidence and mortality of colorectal cancer in china 2003-2007. Chin Cancer, 21, 179-82.
- Chiang SF, Hung HY, Tang R, et al (2012). Can neutrophil-tolymphocyte ratio predict the survival of colorectal cancer patients who have received curative surgery electively? Int J Colorectal Dis, 27, 1347-57. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-012-1459-x
- Dehghan Esmatabadi MJ, Farhangi B, Safari Z, et al (2015). Dendrosomal curcumin inhibits metastatic potential of human SW480 colon cancer cells through Down-regulation of Claudin1, Zeb1 and Hef1-1 gene expression. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2473-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2473
- Erlinger TP, Muntner P, Helzlsouer KJ (2004). WBC and the risk of cancer mortality in a national sample of U.S. adults: results from the Second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey mortality study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 1052-6
- Goh KL, Quek KF, Yeo GT, et al (2005). Colorectal cancer in Asians: a demographic and anatomic survey in Malaysian patients undergoing colonoscopy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 22, 859-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2005.02646.x
- Guizani N, Waly MI, Singh V, Rahman MS, et al (2013). Nabag (Zizyphus spina-christi) extract prevents aberrant crypt foci development in colons of azoxymethane-treated rats by abrogating oxidative stress and inducing apoptosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5031-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5031
- Hamiza OO, Rehman MU, Tahir M, et al (2012). Amelioration of 1,2 Dimethylhydrazine (DMH) induced colon oxidative stress, inflammation and tumor promotion response by tannic acid in Wistar rats. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4393-402. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4393
- Hassan AS, Naicker M, Yusof KH, Wan Ishak WZ (2015). Prognostic factors and the role of adjuvant chemotherapy in post-curative surgery for Dukes B and C colon cancers and survival outcomes: a Malaysian experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2237-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2237
- Huang X, Kojima-Yuasa A, Norikura T, et al (2007). Mechanism of the anti-cancer activity of Zizyphus jujuba in HepG2 cells. Am J Chin Med, 35, 517-32. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X0700503X
- Hung CF, Hsu BY, Chang SC, Chen BH (2012). Antiproliferation of melanoma cells by polysaccharide isolated from Zizyphus jujuba. Nutrition, 28, 98-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2011.05.009
- Koushik A, Hunter DJ, Spiegelman D, et al (2007). Fruits, vegetables, and colon cancer risk in a pooled analysis of 14 cohort studies. J Natl Cancer Inst, 99, 1471-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djm155
- Lee YJ, Lee HR, Nam CM, Hwang UK, Jee SH (2006). White blood cell count and the risk of colon cancer. Yonsei Med J, 47, 646-56. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2006.47.5.646
Legrand F, Driss V, Delbeke M, et al (2010). Human eosinophils exert TNF-
$\alpha$and granzyme A-mediated tumoricidal activity toward colon carcinoma cells. J Immunol, 185, 7443-51. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1000446
- Li JW, Ding SD, Ding XL (2007a). Optimization of the ultrasonically assisted extraction of polysaccharides from Zizyphus jujuba cv. Jinsixiaozao. J Food Eng, 80, 176-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.05.006
- Li JW, Chen YY, Ding SD, Zhang LF (2007b). Isolation and analysis of a novel proteoglycan from Zizyphus jujuba cv. Jinsixiaozao. J Food Drug Anal, 15, 271-7.
- Li JY, Li Y, Jiang Z, Wang RT, Wang XS (2014). Elevated mean platelet volume is associated with presence of colon cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10501-4.
- Lin MS, Huang JX, Zhu J, Shen HZ (2012). Elevation of platelet count in patients with colorectal cancer predicts tendency to metastases and poor prognosis. Hepatogastroenterol, 59, 1687-90.
- Liu SH, Cheng YC (2012). Old formula, new Rx: the journey of PHY906 as cancer adjuvant therapy. J Ethnopharmacol, 140, 614-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.01.047
- Mantovani A, Allavena P, Sica A, Balkwill F (2008). Cancerrelated inflammation. Nature, 454, 436-44. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature07205
- Mytar B, Baj-Krzyworzeka M, Majka M, Stankiewicz D, Zembala M (2008). Human monocytes both enhance and inhibit the growth of human pancreatic cancer in SCID mice. Anticancer Res, 28, 187-92.
- Pandurangan AK, Esa NM (2014). Luteolin, a bioflavonoid inhibits colorectal cancer through modulation of multiple signaling pathways: a review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5501-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5501
- Rajamanickam S, Agarwal R (2008). Natural products and colon cancer: current status and future prospects. Drug Devel Res, 69, 460-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/ddr.20276
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Song Y, Liu M, Yang F, et al (2015). Dietary fibre and the risk of colorectal cancer: a case- control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3747-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3747
- Stotz M, M Pichler, G Absenger, et al (2014). The preoperative lymphocyte to monocyte ratio predicts clinical outcome in patients with stage III colon cancer. Brit J Cancer, 110, 435-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.785
- Sun YF, Liang ZS, Shan CJ, Viernstein H, Unger F (2011). Comprehensive evaluation of natural antioxidants and antioxidant potentials in Ziziphus jujuba Mill. var. spinosa (Bunge) Hu ex H. F. Chou fruits based on geographical origin by TOPSIS method. Food Chem, 124, 1612-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.08.026
- Tammasakchai A, Chaiyasut C, Riengrojpitak S, Suwannalert P (2015). Unpolished thai rice prevents ACF formation and dysplastic progression in aom-induced rats and induces apoptosis through redox alteration in CaCo-2 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2827-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2827
- TCR, Taiwan Cancer Registry (2011). http://tcr.cph.ntu.edu.tw/main.php?Page=N2
- Van Duijnhoven FJ, Bueno-De-Mesquita HB, Ferrari P, et al (2009). Fruit, vegetables, and colorectal cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr, 89, 1441-52. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.27120
- Waly MI, Al-Ghafri BR, Guizani N, Rahman MS (2015). Phytonutrient Effects of Date Pit Extract against Azoxymethane- Induced Oxidative Stress in the Rat Colon. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3473-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3473
- Yue Y, Wu S, Zhang H, et al (2014). Characterization and hepatoprotective effect of polysaccharides from Ziziphus jujuba Mill. var. spinosa (Bunge) Hu ex H. F. Chou sarcocarp. Food Chem Toxicol, 74, 76-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2014.09.006
- Zhang Z-Y, Dong J-H, Chen Y-W, et al (2012). Galectin-9 acts as a prognostic factor with antimetastatic potential in hepatocellular carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2503-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2503