- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Diagnostic Performance of Breast MRI in the Evaluation of Contralateral Breast in Patients with Diagnosed Breast Cancer
- Saeed, Shaista Afzal (Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital) ;
- Masroor, Imrana (Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital) ;
- Beg, Madiha (Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital) ;
- Idrees, Romana (Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Aims: The purpose of our study was to evaluate the diagnostic performance of breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the evaluation of contralateral breast in patients with diagnosed breast cancer. A secondary objective was to determine accuracy of breast MRI in diagnosing multi-focal and multicentric lesions in the ipsilateral breast. Materials and Methods: Using a non-probability convenience sampling technique, patients with histopathologically diagnosed breast cancer with MRI of breast performed to exclude additional lesions were included. MRI findings were correlated with histopathology. In addition, follow-up imaging with mammography and ultrasound was also assessed for establishing stability of negative findings and for the detected of benign lesions. Results: Out of 157 MRI breast conducted during the period of 2008 to 2013, 49 were performed for patients with diagnosed breast cancer. The sample comprised of all females with mean age
MRI breast;multicenteric;multifocal;bilateral breast cancer
- Abdulkareem ST (2014). Breast magnetic resonance imaging indications in current practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 569-75. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.569
- American college of Radiologists ACR (2013). American college of radiology practice guidelines for the performance of Magnetic resonance Imaging of the Breast.
- Barchie MF, Clive KS, Tyler, et al (2011). Standardized pretreatment breast MRI-accuracy and influence on mastectomy decisions. J surg oncol, 104, 741-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21960
- Beran L, Liang W, Nims T, Paquelet J, Sickle-Santanello B (2005). Correlation of targeted ultrasound with magnetic resonance imaging abnormalities of the breast. Am J Surg, 190, 592-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2005.06.019
- Berg WA, Gutierrez L, NessAiver MS, et al (2004). Diagnostic accuracy of mammography, clinical examination, US, and MR imaging in preoperative assessment of breast cancer. Radiol, 233, 830-49. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2333031484
- Beysebayev E, Tulebayev K, Meymanalyev T (2014). Breast cancer diagnosis by mammography in Kazakhstan-staging results of breast cancer with double reading. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 31-4.
- Boyd NF, Guo H, Martin LJ, et al (2007). Mammographic density and the risk and detection of breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 356, 227-36. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa062790
- Candelaria R, Fornage BD (2011). Second-look us examination of MR-detected breast lesions. J Clin Ultrasound, 39, 115-21. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcu.20784
- Chen Y, Thompson W, Semenciw R, Mao Y (1999). Epidemiology of contralateral breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 8, 855-61.
- Cichon MA, Degnim AC, Visscher DW, Radisky DC (2010). Microenvironmental influences that drive progression from benign breast disease to invasive breast cancer. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 15, 389-97. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-010-9195-8
- DeMartini WB, Eby PR, Peacock S, Lehman CD (2009). Utility of targeted sonography for breast lesions that were suspicious on MRI. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 192, 1128-34. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3987
- Duygulu G, Oktay A, Bilgen IG, Kapkac M, Zekioglu O (2012). The role of breast MRI in planning the surgical treatment of breast cancer. Diagn Interv Radiol, 18, 460-7.
- Esserman L, Hylton N, Yassa L, et al (1999). Utility of magnetic resonance imaging in the management of breast cancer: evidence for improved preoperative staging. J Clin Oncol, 17, 110-19. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19184.108.40.206
- Heron DE, Komarnicky LT, Hyslop T, Schwartz GF, Mansfield CM (2000). Bilateral breast carcinoma: risk factors and outcomes for patients with synchronous and metachronous disease. Cancer, 88, 2739-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000615)88:12<2739::AID-CNCR12>3.0.CO;2-J
- Herrinton LJ, Barlow WE, Yu O, et al (2005). Efficacy of prophylactic mastectomy in women with unilateral breast cancer: a cancer research network project. J Clin Oncol, 23, 4275-86. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.10.080
- Hillman BJ, Harms SE, Stevens G, et al (2012). Diagnostic performance of a dedicated 1.5-T breast MR imaging system. Radiol, 265, 51-58. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.12110600
- Houssami N, Ciatto S, Macaskill P, et al (2008). Accuracy and surgical impact of magnetic resonance imaging in breast cancer staging: systematic review and meta-analysis in detection of multifocal and multicentric cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 3248-58. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.2108
- Ji J, Hemminki K (2007). Risk for contralateral breast cancers in a population covered by mammography: effects of family history, age at diagnosis and histology. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 105, 229-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9445-z
- Jobsen JJ, Van der Palen J, Ong F, Meerwaldt JH (2003). Synchronous, bilateral breast cancer: prognostic value and incidence. Breast, 12, 83-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-9776(02)00278-3
- Kim AH, Kim MJ, Kim EK, Park BW, Moon HJ (2014). Positive predictive value of additional synchronous breast lesions in whole-breast ultrasonography at the diagnosis of breast cancer: clinical and imaging factors. Ultrasonography, 33, 170-7. https://doi.org/10.14366/usg.14004
- Kim TH, Kang DK, Jung YS, Kim KS, Yim H (2012). Contralateral enhancing lesions on magnetic resonance imaging in patients with breast cancer role of second look sonography and imaging findings of synchronous contralateral cancer. J Ultrasound Med, 31, 903-13. https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.2012.31.6.903
- Kowalchik KV, Vallow LA, McDonough M, et al (2012). The role of preoperative bilateral breast magnetic resonance imaging in patient selection for partial breast irradiation in ductal carcinoma in situ. Int J Surg Oncol, 206342.
- Kneeshaw PJ, Turnbull LW, Smith A, Drew PJ (2003). Dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging aids the surgical management of invasive lobular breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol, 29, 32-7. https://doi.org/10.1053/ejso.2002.1391
- Lehman CD, Gatsonis C, Kuhl CK, et al (2007). MRI evaluation of the contralateral breast in women with recently diagnosed breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 356, 1295-303. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa065447
- Liberman L, Morris EA, Kim CM, Kaplan JB, et al (2003). MR imaging findings in the contralateral breast of women with recently diagnosed breast cancer. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 180, 333-41. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.180.2.1800333
- Liberman L, Morris EA, Lee MJY, et al (2002). Breast lesions detected on MR imaging: features and positive predictive value. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 179, 171-8. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.179.1.1790171
- Millet I, Pages E, Hoa D, et al (2012). Pearls and pitfalls in breast MRI. Br J Radiol, 85, 197-207. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/47213729
- Moon WK, Noh DY, Im JG (2002). Multifocal, multicentric, and contralateral breast cancers: bilateral whole-breast us in the preoperative evaluation of patients. Radiol, 224, 569-76. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2242011215
- Orel SG, Schnall MD (2001). MR Imaging of the breast for the detection, diagnosis, and staging of breast cancer 1. Radiol, 220, 13-30. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.220.1.r01jl3113
- Pediconi F, Catalano C, Padula S, et al (2007). Contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance mammography: does it affect surgical decision-making in patients with breast cancer? Breast Cancer Res Treat, 106, 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9472-9
- Polednak AP (2003). Bilateral synchronous breast cancer: a population-based study of characteristics, method of detection, and survival. Surgery, 133, 383-9. https://doi.org/10.1067/msy.2003.110
- Satake H, Shimamoto K, Sawaki A, et al (2000). Role of ultrasonography in the detection of intraductal spread of breast cancer: correlation with pathologic findings, mammography and MR imaging. Eur Radiol, 10, 1726-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003300000465
- Tilanus-Linthorst MM, Obdeijn IMM, Bartels KC, de Koning HJ, Oudkerk M (2000). First experiences in screening women at high risk for breast cancer with MR imaging. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 63, 53-60. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006480106487
- Van Goethem M, Schelfout K, Dijckmans L, et al (2004). MR mammography in the pre-operative staging of breast cancer in patients with dense breast tissue: comparison with mammography and ultrasound. Eur Radiol, 14, 809-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-003-2146-7
- Wang FL, Chen F, Yin H, et al (2012). Effects of age, breast density and volume on breast cancer diagnosis: a retrospective comparison of sensitivity of mammography and ultrasonography in China's rural areas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2277-82.
- Yang JX, Han YJ, Zheng H, Luo RC (2010). Expression of PAK4 in breast cancer and benign breast pathological changes. J South Med Univ, 30, 981-83.
- Yusuf A, Ab Hadi IS, Mahamood Z, Ahmad Z, Keng SL (2013). Understanding the breast cancer experience: a qualitative study of Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3689-98. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3689
- Integrating anatomy, radiology, pathology, and surgery: An alternative approach in resecting multifocal and multicentric breast carcinoma vol.23, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/tbj.12891