- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Religious Coping and Quality of Life in Women with Breast Cancer
- Zamanian, Hadi ;
- Eftekhar-Ardebili, Hasan ;
- Eftekhar-Ardebili, Mehrdad ;
- Shojaeizadeh, Davood ;
- Nedjat, Saharnaz ;
- Taheri-Kharameh, Zahra ;
- Daryaafzoon, Mona
- Published : 2015.12.03
Background: The aim of this study was to assess the predictive role of religious coping in quality of life of breast cancer patients. Materials and Methods: This multi-center cross-sectional study was conducted in Tehran, Iran, from October 2014 to May 2015. A total of 224 women with breast cancer completed measures of socio-demographic information, religious coping (brief RCOPE), and quality of life (FACT-B). Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and the t-test, ANOVA, and linear regression analysis. Results: The mean age was 47.1 (SD=9.07) years and the majority were married (81.3%). The mean score for positive religious coping was 22.98 (SD=4.09) while it was 10.13 (SD=3.90) for negative religious coping. Multiple linear regression showed positive and negative religious coping as predictor variables explained a significant amount of variance in overall QOL score (
Negative religious coping;positive religious coping;quality of life;breast cancer
- Afsharfard A, Mozaffar M, Orang E, et al (2013). Trends in epidemiology, clinical and histopathological characteristics of breast cancer in Iran: results of a 17 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6905-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6905
- Alacacioglu A, Ulger E, Varol U, et al (2013). Depression, anxiety and sexual satisfaction in breast cancer patients and their partners-izmir oncology group study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10631-6.
- Ano GG,Vasconcelles EB (2005). Religious coping and psychological adjustment to stress: A meta-analysis. J Clin Psychol, 61, 461-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20049
- Burker EJ, Evon DM, Sedway JA, et al (2004). Religious coping, psychological distress and disability among patients with end-stage pulmonary disease. J Clin Psychol Med Settings, 11, 179-93. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOCS.0000037612.31730.56
- Chang O, Choi EK, Kim IR, et al (2013). Association between socioeconomic status and altered appearance distress, body image, and quality of life among breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8607-12.
- Cotton S, Weekes JC, Mcgrady ME, et al (2012). Spirituality and religiosity in urban adolescents with asthma. J Relig Health, 51, 118-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-010-9408-x
- Enjedany E, Daryaafzoun M, Zamanian H, et al (2010). Religious coping and quality of life in Iranian cancer patients: Do coping styles affect quality of life? psychology & health, taylor & francis ltd 4 park square, milton park, abingdon ox14 4rn, oxon, england.
- Gaston-Johansson F, Haisfield-Wolfe ME, Reddick B, et al (2013). The relationships among coping strategies, religious coping, and spirituality in African American women with breast cancer receiving chemotherapy. Oncol Nurs Forum.
- Ghiami Z (2005). An investigation about the relation of attachment styles with religious coping styles. J Psychol Educat, 35, 221-33.
- Harirchi I, Kolahdoozan S, Karbakhsh M, et al (2011). Twenty years of breast cancer in Iran: downstaging without a formal screening program. Ann Oncol, 22, 93-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq303
- Hassan MR, Shah SA, Ghazi HF, et al (2015). Anxiety and depression among breast cancer patients in an urban setting in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4031. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4031
- Hebert R, Zdaniuk B, Schulz R, et al (2009). Positive and negative religious coping and well-being in women with breast cancer. J Palliative Med, 12, 537-45. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2008.0250
- Keramatinia A, Mousavi-Jarrahi SH, Hiteh M, et al (2013). Trends in incidence of breast cancer among women under 40 in Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1387-90.
- Khalili N, Farajzadegan Z, Mokarian F, et al (2013). Coping strategies, quality of life and pain in women with breast cancer. Iranian J Nurs Midwifery Res, 18, 105.
- Kharame ZT, Zamanian H, Foroozanfar S, et al (2014). Religious wellbeing as a predictor for quality of life in Iranian hemodialysis patients. Global J Health Sci, 6, 261.
- Khoramirad A, Mousavi M, Dadkhahtehrani T, et al (2014). Relationship between sleep quality and spiritual well-being/ religious activities in muslim women with breast cancer. J Relig Health, 1-10.
- Knott V, Turnbull D, Olver I, et al (2012). A grounded theory approach to understand the cancer-coping process. British J Health Psychol, 17, 551-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8287.2011.02054.x
- Montazeri A (2008). Health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients: a bibliographic review of the literature from 1974 to 2007. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 27, 32. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-32
- Niu HY, Niu CY, Wang JH, et al (2013). Health-related quality of life in women with breast cancer: a literature-based review of psychometric properties of breast cancer-specific measures. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3533-6.
- Pargament KI (2001). The psychology of religion and coping: theory, research, practice, Guilford Press.
- Pargament KI, Koenig HG, Perez LM (2000). The many methods of religious coping: Development and initial validation of the RCOPE. J Clin Psychol, 56, 519-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4679(200004)56:4<519::AID-JCLP6>3.0.CO;2-1
- Pargament KI, Koenig HG, Tarakeshwar N, et al (2004). Religious coping methods as predictors of psychological, physical and spiritual outcomes among medically ill elderly patients: A two-year longitudinal study. J Health Psychol, 9, 713-30. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105304045366
- Pargament KI, Smith BW, Koenig HG, et al (1998). Patterns of positive and negative religious coping with major life stressors. J Sci Study Religion, 710-24.
- Patoo M, Allahyari A, Moradi A, et al (2015). Persian version of functional assessment of cancer therapy-breast (FACT-B) scale: confirmatory factor analysis and psychometric properties. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3799. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3799
- Ramirez SP, Macedo DS, Sales PMG, et al (2012). The relationship between religious coping, psychological distress and quality of life in hemodialysis patients. J Psychosomatic Res, 72, 129-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2011.11.012
- Rammohan A, Rao K,Subbakrishna D (2002). Religious coping and psychological wellbeing in carers of relatives with schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 105, 356-362. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0447.2002.1o149.x
- Rippentrop AE, Altmaier EM, Chen JJ, et al (2005). The relationship between religion/spirituality and physical health, mental health, and pain in a chronic pain population. Pain, 116, 311-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2005.05.008
- Sanchez R, Ballesteros M,Arnold BJ (2011). Validation of the FACT-G scale for evaluating quality of life in cancer patients in Colombia. Quality Life Res, 20, 19-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9727-0
- Tarakeshwar N, Vanderwerker LC, Paulk E, et al (2006). Religious coping is associated with the quality of life of patients with advanced cancer. J Palliative Med, 9, 646-57. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2006.9.646
- Tedrus GMaS, Fonseca LC, Magri FDP, et al (2013). Spiritual/ religious coping in patients with epilepsy: Relationship with sociodemographic and clinical aspects and quality of life. Epilepsy Behavior, 28, 386-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2013.05.011
- Trevino KM, Pargament KI, Cotton S, et al (2010). Religious coping and physiological, psychological, social, and spiritual outcomes in patients with HIV/AIDS: Cross-sectional and longitudinal findings. AIDS Behavior, 14, 379-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-007-9332-6
- Tuncer G,Yucel SC (2013). Comfort and anxiety levels of women with early stage breast cancer who receive radiotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2109-14.
- Vallurupalli MM, Lauderdale MK, Balboni MJ, et al (2012). The role of spirituality and religious coping in the quality of life of patients with advanced cancer receiving palliative radiation therapy. J Support Oncol, 10, 81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suponc.2011.09.003
- Yi MS, Mrus JM, Wade TJ, et al (2006). Religion, spirituality, and depressive symptoms in patients with HIV/AIDS. J General Internal Med, 21, S21-S27.
- Zamanian H, Kiaee N, Daryaafzoun M, et al (2010). The effect of spirituality and religiosity on mental health and quality of life in cancer patients. psychology & health, taylor & francis ltd 4 park square, milton park, abingdon ox14 4rn, oxon, england.
- Zwingmann C, Wirtz M, Muller C, et al (2006). Positive and negative religious coping in German breast cancer patients. J Beh Med, 29, 533-547. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-006-9074-3
- Coping Well with Advanced Cancer: A Serial Qualitative Interview Study with Patients and Family Carers vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169071
- Demographic differences of perceived service quality in emergency rooms of hospital organizations vol.25, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOA-08-2016-1052
- Isolation and prayer as means of solace for Arab women with breast cancer: An in-depth interview study vol.26, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.4402
- Anxiety and Depression in Cancer Patients: The Association with Religiosity and Religious Coping vol.56, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-016-0267-y
- Two Sides of the Same Coin: The Positive and Negative Impact of Spiritual Religious Coping on Quality of Life and Depression in Dialysis Patients pp.1552-5724, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010117725429
- Spiritual needs and their associated factors among cancer patients in China: a cross-sectional study vol.26, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-018-4119-z
- Health-related quality of life of Iranian breast cancer patients: a meta-analysis and systematic review vol.170, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-018-4750-x
- Religious coping and death depression in Iranian patients with cancer: relationships to disease stage vol.26, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-018-4088-2
- Health-related quality of life of breast cancer patients in the Eastern Mediterranean region: a systematic review and meta-analysis pp.1573-7217, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-019-05131-0
- Spiritual Pain Is Associated with Decreased Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer Patients in Palliative Care: An Exploratory Study pp.1557-7740, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2018.0340