- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Oral Cancer Early Detection - a Pressing Need for Continuing Education in Jordan
- Hassona, Y (Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Jordan) ;
- Sawair, F (Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Jordan) ;
- Baqain, Z (Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Jordan) ;
- Maayta, W (Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Jordan) ;
- Shahin, A (Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Jordan) ;
- Scully, C (University College London)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Aims: To identify deficiencies in the knowledge of general medical (GMPs) and dental practitioners (GDPs) regarding early detection of oral cancer, to compare differences between subgroups, and to identify educational needs for continuing education courses on this subject. Materials and Methods: 165 GDPs and 165 GMPs were directly interviewed to assess their knowledge about oral cancer using a pre-tested survey. Knowledge scores were generated from correct responses of participants to factual questions about oral cancer. Results: Few participants (15.2% of GDPs and 12.8% of GMPs) reported that they attended any continuing education courses on oral cancer during their professional career. Most participants (81.6% of GDPs and 86.3% of GMPs) admitted that their knowledge about oral cancer was not up to date and that they would need to attend continuing education courses on oral cancer if available. A few significant differences were identified between groups regarding knowledge about risk factors, clinical presentations and diagnostic techniques but the overall knowledge scores showed no significant difference between GMPs and GDPs. Conclusions: The present study identified several deficiencies in the knowledge of GMPs and GDPs regarding risk factors, clinical presentations, and diagnostic techniques of oral cancer. Interventions to correct these defects through properly designed continuing education courses are required.
- Alaizari NA, Al-Maweri SA (2014). Oral cancer: knowledge, practices and opinions of dentists in yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5627-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5627
- Alsanosy RM (2014). Smokeless tobacco (shammah) in saudi arabia: a review of its pattern of use, prevalence, and potential role in oral cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 15, 6477-83. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6477
- Carter LM, Ogden GR (2007). Oral cancer awareness of general medical and general dental practitioners. Br Dent J. 203, 10. https://doi.org/10.1038/bdj.2007.630
- Department of Statistics. Hashemite Kingdome J.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer. 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 11. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Hassona Y, Scully C, Abu Ghosh M, et al (2015). Mouth cancer awareness and beliefs among dental patients. Int Dent J. 65, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/idj.12140
- Hassona Y, Scully C, Almangush A, et al (2014). Oral potentially malignant disorders among dental patients: a pilot study in Jordan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10427-31.
- Hassona Y, Scully C, Shahin A, et al (2015). Factors influencing early detection of oral cancer by primary health-care professionals. J Cancer Educ.
- Horowitz AM, Goodman HS, Yellowitz JA, et al (1996). The need for health promotion in oral cancer prevention and early detection. J Public Health Dent, 56, 319-330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1996.tb02459.x
- Ismail SI, Soubani M, Nimri JM, et al (2013). Cancer incidence in Jordan from 1996 to 2009--a comprehensive study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3527-34 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3527
- Jaber L, Shaban S, Hariri D, et al (2011). Perceptions of health care practitioners in Saudi Arabia regarding their training in oral cancer prevention and early detection. Int J Health Care Qual Assur, 24, 8-18. https://doi.org/10.1108/09526861111098201
- Krishna Rao SV, Mejia G, Roberts-Thomson K, et al (2013). Epidemiology of oral cancer in Asia in the past decade--an update (2000-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5567-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5567
- Kujan O, Sloan P (2013). Dilemmas of oral cancer screening: an update. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3369-73 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3369
- La Vecchia C, Lucchini F, Negri E, et al (2004). Trends in oral cancer mortality in Europe. Oral Oncol, 40, 433-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2003.09.013
- LeHew CW, Epstein JB, Kaste LM, et al (2010). Assessing oral cancer early detection: clarifying dentists' practices. J Public Health Dent, 70, 93-100.
- Masthan KM, Babu NA, Dash KC, et al (2012). Advanced diagnostic aids in oral cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3573-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3573
- Quadri MF, Alharbi F, Bajonaid AM, et al (2015). Oral squamous cell carcinoma and associated risk factors in jazan, saudi arabia: a hospital based case control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4335-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4335
- Saleh A, Kong YH, Vengu N, et al (2014). Dentists' perception of the role they play in early detection of oral cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 229-37. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.229
- Sawair FA, Baqain ZH (2004). Continuing education: views of Jordanian general dental practitioners. Cairo Dental J, 20, 399-402.
- Scully C (2014). Challenges in predicting which oral potentially malignant diseases will progress to neoplasia. Oral Dis. 20, 1-5.
- Scully C, Bagan JV, Hooper C, et al (2008). Oral cancer: current and future diagnostic techniques. Am J Dent, 21, 199-209.
- Silverman S Jr, Kerr AR, Epstein JB (2010). Oral and pharyngeal cancer control and early detection. J Cancer Educ, 25, 279-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-010-0045-6
- Warnakulasuriya KA, Johnson NW (1999). Dentists and oral cancer prevention in the UK: opinions, attitudes and practices to screening for mucosal lesions and to counselling patients on tobacco and alcohol use: baseline data from 1991. Oral Dis, 5, 10-4.
- Zini A, Nasser N, Vered Y (2012). Oral and pharyngeal cancer among the Arab population in Israel from 1970 to 2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 585-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.585