- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Spatiotemporal Distribution of Gastrointestinal Tract Cancer through GIS over 2007-2012 in Kermanshah-Iran
- Reshadat, Sohyla (Pediatrician, Center of Excellence for Community Oriented Medicine Education and Social Development & Health Promotion Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Saeidi, Shahram (Urban Planning and Geography, Social Development & Health Promotion Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Zangeneh, Ali Reza (Urban Planning and Geography, Social Development & Health Promotion Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khademi, Nahid (Disease Control of Vice-chancellor of Health, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khasi, Keyvan (Health Department Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghasemi, SayedRamin (Social Welfare, Social Development & Health Promotion Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Gilan, Nader Rajabi (Social Research, Social Development & Health Promotion Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Background: Cancer is one of the common causes of disability and mortality in the world. The present study aimed to define the spatiotemporal distribution of gastrointestinal tract cancers using a geographic information system (GIS) over the time period of 2007-2012 in Kermanshah-Iran. Materials and Methods: The method of studying was descriptive-analytical as well as comparative with gastrointestinal tract cancer patients based in the City of Kermanshah over the time period covered. For data analysis, the GIS and SPSS 16.0 were applied. Results: According to the pathological reports within the space of 5 years, 283 cases of gastrointestinal tract cancer (157 in males, 156 in females) were reported. The performed tests in terms of spatial distribution in the environment of GIS indicated that the disease demonstrated a clustered pattern in the City of Kermanshah. More to the point, some loci of this disease have emerged in the City of Kermanshah that in the first level, 6 neighborhoods with 29-59 cases of this disease per square kilometer and in the second level, 15-29 cases. Conclusions: Gastrointestinal tract cancer demonstrated an ascending trend within the space of 5 years of research and the spatiotemporal distribution of cancer featured a concentrated and clustered pattern in the City of Kermanshah.
- Askarian M, Goli A, Oroei M, et al (2014). The geographical clusters of gastrointestinal tract cancer in fars province, Southern Iran. International journal of preventive medicine, 5, 857.
- Asmarian NS, Kavousi A, Salehi M (2013). Mapping of large intestine cancer incidence rate using area-to-area Poisson Kriging in Iran from 2003 to 2007. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences, 20, 10-7.
- Auchincloss AH, Gebreab SY, Mair C, et al (2012). A review of spatial methods in epidemiology, 2000-2010. Annual review of public health, 33, 107. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031811-124655
- Clarke KC, McLafferty SL, Tempalski BJ (1996). On epidemiology and geographic information systems: a review and discussion of future directions. Emerging infectious diseases, 2, 85. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid0202.960202
- Clayton D, Kaldor J (1987). Empirical Bayes estimates of age-standardized relative risks for use in disease mapping. Biometrics, 671-81.
- Curtis AB, Kothari C, Paul R, et al (2013). Using GIS and secondary data to target diabetes-related public health efforts. Public Health Reports, 128, 212. https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491312800311
- Darvishmoghadam S, Abbasi MH, Zeinalinejad H (2005). The incidence rate of gastrointestinal tract cancers in Kerman province during 1996-2000. Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences, 12, 153-8.
- Esmaielee H (1992). Comparing survival rate and its characteristics of esophagus and stomach cancer in Mazandran province. School of Medicine Science, Tarbiat Modarres Univ, 18-39.
- Fathollahi MS, Mahmoodi M, Mohammad K, et al (2011). Expected survival using models of life table compared with survival of gastrointestinal tract cancer patients in north of iran. Iranian journal of public health, 40, 74.
- Haghighi F, Hoseinni M (2003). Attitude and performance Assessment of Birjand population to cancer and screening of that. Birjand University of Medical Sciences, 10, 15-8.
- Hajmanoochehri F, Asefzadeh S, Kazemifar AM, et al (2014). Clinicopathological features of colon adenocarcinoma in Qazvin, Iran: a 16 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 951-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.951
- Krieger N (2000). Epidemiology and social sciences: towards a critical reengagement in the 21st century. Epidemiologic Reviews, 22, 155-63. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.epirev.a018014
- Mahbubeh S, Holakouie-Naieni K, Mostafavi E, et al (2014). Spatial Analysis of Multiple Sclerosis Disease in Tehran Metro-poli- tan Zone, Iran, 2001-2012. Iranian journal of public health, 43, 621-9.
- May JM (1950). Medical geography: its methods and objectives. Geographical Review, 9-41.
- McLeod KS (2000). Our sense of Snow: the myth of John Snow in medical geography. Social science & medicine, 50, 923-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(99)00345-7
- Mehrabani D, Tabei S, Heydari S, et al (2008). Cancer occurrence in Fars Province, Southern Iran. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 2008, 314-22.
- Merletti F, Galassi C, Spadea T (2011). The socioeconomic determinants of cancer. Environ Health, 10, 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-069X-10-7
- Mohammadpour Tahamtan RA, Yazdani J, Zare S, et al (2014). Geographical mapping of gastrointestinal cancer mortality rates in Mazandaran and Golestan provinces, Iran. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences (JMUMS), 23.
- Morra P, Bagli S, Spadoni G (2006). The analysis of human health risk with a detailed procedure operating in a GIS environment. Environment International, 32, 444-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2005.10.003
- MOULAEI N, Yazdanpanah K, Reshadmanesh N, et al (2000). Epidemiology of Gastric and Oesophagial Cancers In Kurdistan Province In 1999.
- Murphy G, Pfeiffer R, Camargo MC, et al (2009). Meta-analysis shows that prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus-positive gastric cancer differs based on sex and anatomic location. Gastroenterology, 137, 824-33. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2009.05.001
- Musa GJ, Chiang P-H, Sylk T, et al (2013). Use of GIS Mapping as a public health tool-from cholera to cancer. Health Services Insights, 6, 111.
- Openshaw S, Charlton M, Craft AW, et al (1988). Investigation of leukaemia clusters by use of a geographical analysis machine. The Lancet, 331, 272-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(88)90352-2
- Openshaw S, Charlton M, Wymer C, et al (1987). A mark 1 geographical analysis machine for the automated analysis of point data sets. International Journal of Geographical Information System, 1, 335-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/02693798708927821
- Pearce J, Boyle P (2005). Examining the relationship between lung cancer and radon in small areas across Scotland. Health & place, 11, 275-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2004.06.006
- Radmard AR (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Archives of Iranian Med, 13, 143-6.
- RAHIMI F, HEIDARI M (2012). Time trend analysis of stomach cancer incidence in the west of Iran.
- Rezaeian M (2004). An introduction to the practical methods for mapping the geographical morbidity and mortality rates. Tollo-e-behdasht, 2, 41-51.
- Roche LM, Skinner R, Weinstein RB (2002). Use of a geographic information system to identify and characterize areas with high proportions of distant stage breast cancer. J Public Health Management and Practice, 8, 26-32.
- ROHANI RM, ROHANI RM, Rahimi F, et al (2011). Distribution of cancer incidence in districts and neighbourhoods of a number of Tehran districts in 1386.
- Sadjadi A, Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, et al (2003). Cancer occurrence in Ardabil: Results of a population based Cancer Registry from Iran. International J Cancer, 107, 113-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11359
- Samat N, Shattar AKA (2014). Spatial accessibility of colorectal cancer patients to health care facilities in kelantan state: a study on medical geography. World Applied Sciences Journal, 31, 1772-82.
- Shad R, Ebadi H, Ghods M (2003). Evaluation of Route Finding Methods in GIS Application. Tehran: Department of Geodesy and Geomatics Enginering, Khajeh Nasi Toosi University of Technology; . Received: 21.11. 2010 Accepted: 25.6. Journal of Isfahan Medical School Original Article, 29.
- Snow J 1855. On the mode of communication of cholera, John Churchill.
- Somi MH, Mirinezhad K, Farhang S, et al (2006). Gastrointestinal cancer occurrence in East Azarbaijan: a five year study from North Western Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 309.
- Wu K-S, Huo X, Zhu G-H (2008). Relationships between esophageal cancer and spatial environment factors by using Geographic Information System. Science of the total environment, 393, 219-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.12.029
- Yazdanbod E, Samadi F, Malekzade R, et al (2005). Four-Year Survival Rate of Patients with Upper GI Cancer in Ardabil. Journal of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, 5, 180-4.
- Zeinalzadeh AH, Kousha A, Abdullahi L, et al (2012). Pattern of age distribution of different cancers in East Azerbaijan province, Iran. Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences, 19, 308-86.
- Zulu LC, Kalipeni E, Johannes E (2014). Analyzing spatial clustering and the spatiotemporal nature and trends of HIV/ AIDS prevalence using GIS: the case of Malawi, 1994-2010. BMC Infectious Diseases, 14, 285. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-14-285
- Measures of spatial accessibility to health centers: investigating urban and rural disparities in Kermanshah, Iran pp.1613-2238, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-018-0966-9