- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Burden Assessment of Thyroid cancer in Iran from 1990 to 2010: Lessons Obtained from Global Burden of Disease Report 2010
- Modirian, Mitra (Non-communicable Diseases Research Center, Endocrinology & Metabolism Population Sciences Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Cheraghi, Zahra (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahimzadeh, Shadi (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Moghaddam, Sahar Saeedi (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Jarrahi, Alireza Mosavi (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Background: Thyroid tumors are generally regarded as rare malignancies. Nowadays, however, their global incidence is growing continuously partially due to western life style and utilization of more sensitive methods of early detection. It is approximately three times more prevalent in females than in males. Most cases of thyroid cancer are asymptomatic nodules or just have local cervical symptoms or adenopathy in early stages. Materials and Methods: The Global Burden of Diseases report 2010 study (released 3/2013) profited from 100 collaborators worldwide and used a vast network of data on health outcomes, vital registries, and population surveys. It shared many of the Global Burden of Diseases 1990 principal databases such as all available data on injuries, diseases, risk factors, as well as comparable metrics, and used different scientific approved methods to estimate important health status data like: death rate, life expectancy, healthy adjusted life expectancy, disability-adjusted life years (DALY), years of living lost due to premature death and years of life with disabilities. Results: DALY as thyroid cancer burden per 100,000 Iranian populations had increased by about 14% during 1990 to 2010 in all ages; from 6.1 (95% UI 4.2-9.74) years in 1990 to 6.95 (95% UI 5.06-9.18) years in 2010 in both sex. The 2010 peak age-group was estimated at 45-49 years in males and 40-45 years in females.
- Akbari ME, Rafiee M, Khoei MA, et al (2011). Incidence and survival of cancers in the elderly population in Iran: 2001- 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3035-9.
- Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, Schechter RB, Shih Y-CT, et al (2013). The clinical and economic burden of a sustained increase in thyroid cancer incidence. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev.
- Brown RL, de Souza JA, Cohen E (2011). Thyroid cancer: burden of illness and management of disease. J Cancer, 2, 193-9. https://doi.org/10.7150/jca.2.193
- Cecil RLF, Goldman L, Schafer AI 2012. Goldman's Cecil Medicine, Elsevier/Saunders.
- Cho K-H, Park S, Lee K-S, et al (2012). A single measure of cancer burden in Korea from 1999 to 2010. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 5249-55.
- Dal Maso L, Bosetti C, La Vecchia C, et al (2009). Risk factors for thyroid cancer: an epidemiological review focused on nutritional factors. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 75-86. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9219-5
- Davies L, Welch HG (2014). Current Thyroid Cancer Trends in the United States. JAMA Otolaryngol-Head Neck Surgery.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Hussain F, Iqbal S, Mehmood A, et al (2013). Incidence of thyroid cancer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2000-2011. Hematology/oncology and stem cell therapy.
- Ismail SI, Soubani M, Nimri JM, et al (2013). Cancer incidence in Jordan from 1996 to 2009-a comprehensive study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3527-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3527
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2010). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. J Korean Med Sci, 25, 1113-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- Jung K-W, Won Y-J, Kong H-J, et al (2013). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival and prevalence in 2010. Cancer Res Treatmt, 45, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2013.45.1.1
- Kilfoy BA, Zheng T, Holford TR, et al (2009). International patterns and trends in thyroid cancer incidence, 1973-2002. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 525-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9260-4
- Kitahara CM, Gamborg M, de Gonzalez AB, et al (2014). Childhood height and body mass index were associated with risk of adult thyroid cancer in a large cohort study. Cancer Res, 74, 235-42.
- Liu Y, Zhang S, Chen W, et al (2012). [Trend of incidence and mortality on thyroid cancer in China during 2003-2007]. Zhonghua liu xing bing xue za zhi Zhonghua liuxingbingxue zazhi, 33, 1044-8.
- Loney T, Aw TC, Handysides DG, et al (2013). An analysis of the health status of the United Arab Emirates: the 'Big 4'public health issues. Global health action, 6.
- Lozano R, Naghavi M, Foreman K, et al (2013). Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet, 380, 2095-128.
- Lukas J, Drabek J, Lukas D, et al (2013). The epidemiology of thyroid cancer in the Czech Republic in comparison with other countries. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub, 157, 266-75. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2012.086
- Mohagheghi M-A, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Malekzadeh R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence in tehran metropolis: the first report from the tehran population-based cancer registry. Arch Iran Med, 12, 15-23.
- Moore MA (2013). Overview of cancer registration research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4461-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Murray CJ, Lopez AD (2013). Measuring the global burden of disease. New England J Med, 369, 448-57. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1201534
- Murray CJ, Vos T, Lozano R, et al (2013). Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet, 380, 2197-223.
- Nooyi SC, Al-Lawati J (2011). Cancer incidence in Oman, 1998- 2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1735-80.
- Park JH, Lee KS, Choi KS (2013). Burden of cancer in Korea during 2000-2020. Cancer epidemiol, 37, 353-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.03.015
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2001). Estimating the world cancer burden: Globocan 2000. International J Cancer, 94, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1440
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Parkin DM, Pisani P, Ferlay J (1999). Estimates of the worldwide incidence of 25 major cancers in 1990. International J Cancer, 80, 827-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19990315)80:6<827::AID-IJC6>3.0.CO;2-P
- Pellegriti G, Frasca F, Regalbuto C, et al (2013). Worldwide increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: update on epidemiology and risk factors. J Cancer Epidemiol, 2013.
- Pisani P, Parkin DM, Bray F, et al (1999). Estimates of the worldwide mortality from 25 cancers in 1990. IntJ Cancer, 83, 18-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19990924)83:1<18::AID-IJC5>3.0.CO;2-M
- Saleem HOB, Bawazir AA, Moore M, et al (2010). Five years cancer incidence in Aden Cancer Registry, Yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 507-11.
- Salomon JA, Wang H, Freeman MK, et al (2013). Healthy life expectancy for 187 countries, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the global burden disease study 2010. Lancet, 380, 2144-62.
- Sankaranarayanan R, Ramadas K, Qiao Y-l (2014). Managing the changing burden of cancer in Asia. BMC medicine, 12, 3. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-12-3
- Schmid D, Behrens G, Jochem C, et al (2013). Physical activity, diabetes, and risk of thyroid cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Epidemiol, 28, 945-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-013-9865-0
- Shin J-Y, Kim SY, Lee KS, et al (2012). Costs during the first five years following cancer diagnosis in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3767-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3767
- Stewart BW, Kleihues P, Organization WH, et al 2003. World cancer report, Iarc.
- Sundram F, Robinson BG, Kung A, et al (2006). Welldifferentiated epithelial thyroid cancer management in the Asia Pacific region: a report and clinical practice guideline. Thyroid, 16, 461-9. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2006.16.461
- Vos T, Flaxman AD, Naghavi M, et al (2013). Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet, 380, 2163-96.
- Wartofsky L (2010). Increasing world incidence of thyroid cancer: increased detection or higher radiation exposure. Hormones, 9, 103-8. https://doi.org/10.14310/horm.2002.1260
- Xhaard C, Ren Y, Clero E, et al (2014). Differentiated thyroid carcinoma risk factors in French polynesia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2675. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2675