- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Survey of Her2-neu Expression and its Correlation with Histology of Gastric Carcinoma and Gastroesophageal Junction Adenocarcinoma
- Madani, Seyed-Hamid ;
- Rahmati, Ali ;
- Sadeghi, Edris ;
- Khazaei, Sedighe ;
- Sadeghi, Masoud ;
- Payandeh, Mehrdad ;
- Amirifard, Nasrin
- Published : 2015.12.03
Background: There is increasing evidence that HER2-neu is an important biomarker in gastric carcinomas (GC) and gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinomas. The aim of this study was to evaluate HER2-neu expression and also some clinicopathological features of these neoplasms. Materials and Methods: We selected 211 paraffin-embedded blocks, 193 GC and 18 GEJ. Then 4 micron sections were prepared for staining with hematoxylin and eosin and also for IHC (Her2-neu). The Chi-square test was used for significance between expression of HER2-neu and clinicopathological parameters. Results: In patients with advanced cancer of GC and GEJ, HER2-neu overexpression was more associated with the intestinal cancer subtype. Conclusions: This could be a guide to new complementary therapy for affected patients.
Gastric cancer;gastroesophageal cancer;Her2-neu;IHC
- Albarello L, Pecciarini L, Doglioni C (2011). HER2 testing in gastric cancer. Adv Anat Pathol, 18, 53-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAP.0b013e3182026d72
- Chen B, Luo RC, Cui F, Qian XY(2006). Association of HER- 2/neu expression with prognosis of gastric cancer. Nanfang Yike Daxue Xuebao, 26, 344-47 (in Chinese).
- Geddert H, Zeriouh M, Wolter M, et al (2002). Gene amplification and protein overexpression of c-erb-b2 in Barrett's carcinoma and its precursor lesions. Am J Clin Pathol, 118, 60-6. https://doi.org/10.1309/KG1Y-XNGD-54NK-PP66
- Gravalos C, Jimeno A (2008). HER2 in gastric cancer: a new prognostic factor and a novel therapeutic target. Ann Oncol, 19, 1523-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn169
- Hechtman JF, Polydorides AD (2012). HER2/neu gene amplification and protein overexpression in gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma: a review of histopathology, diagnostic testing, and clinical implications. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 136, 691-7. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2011-0168-RS
- Hofmann M, Stoss O, Shi D, et al (2008). Assessment of a HER2 scoring system for gastric cancer: results from a validation study. Histopathol, 52, 797-805. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2008.03028.x
- Hongo M, Nagasaki Y, Shoji T (2009). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer: orient to Occident. Effects of chronology, geography and ethnicity. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 24, 729-35. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.05824.x
- Jeung J, Patel R, Vila L, Wakefield D, Liu C (2012). Quantitation of HER2/neu expression in primary gastroesophageal adenocarcinomas usingconventional light microscopy and quantitative image analysis. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 136, 610-7. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2011-0371-OA
- Kim MA, Lee HJ, Yang HK, Bang YJ, Kim WH (2011). Heterogeneous amplification of ERBB2 in primary lesions is responsible forthe discordant ERBB2 status of primary and metastatic lesions in gastric carcinoma. Histopathol, 59, 822-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2011.04012.x
- Kunz PL, Mojtahed A, Fisher GA, et al (2012). HER2 expression in gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma in a US population: clinicopathologic analysis with proposed approach to HER2 assessment. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol, 20, 13-24. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAI.0b013e31821c821c
- Moelans CB, van Diest PJ, Milne AN, Offerhaus GJ(2011). HER-2/neu testing and therapy in gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma. Patholog Res Int, 2011, 674182.
- Rakhshani N, Kalantari E, Bakhti H, Sohrabi MR, Mehrazma M (2014). Evaluation of HER-2/neu overexpression in gastric carcinoma using a tissue microarray. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7597-602. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7597
- Reichelt U, Duesedau P, Tsourlakis MCh, et al (2007). Frequent homogeneous HER-2 amplification in primary and metastatic adenocarcinoma of theesophagus. Mod Pathol, 20, 120-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800712
- Ross JS, McKenna BJ (2001). The HER-2/neu oncogene in tumors of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancer Invest, 19, 554-68. https://doi.org/10.1081/CNV-100103852
- Ruschoff J, Dietel M, Baretton G, et al (2010). HER2 diagnostics in gastric cancer-guideline validationand development of standardized immunohistochemical testing. Virchows Arch, 457, 299-307. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-010-0952-2
- Shan L, Ying J, Lu N (2013). HER2 expression and relevant clinicopathological features in gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma in a Chinese population. Diagn Pathol, 8, 76. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-8-76
Tanner M, Hollmen M, Junttila TT, et al (2005). Amplification of HER-2 in gastric carcinoma: association with Topoisomerase II
$\alpha$gene amplification, intestinal type, poor prognosis and sensitivity to trastuzumab. Ann Oncol, 16, 273-78. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi064
- Wang YK, Gao CF, Yun T, et al (2011). Assessment of ERBB2 and EGFR gene amplification and protein expression in gastric carcinoma by immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization. Molecular Cytogenetics, 4, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1755-8166-4-14
- Wolff AC, Hammond MEH, Schwartz JN, et al (2007). American society of clinical oncology/college of American pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer. Arch Pathol Laboratory Med, 131, 18-43.
- Wu HM, Liu YH, Lin F, et al (2011). [Association of HER2 protein expression with clinicopathologic features and prognosis in Chinese patients with gastric carcinoma]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi, 40, 296-99.
- Yan SY, Hu Y, Fan JG, et al (2011). Clinicopathologic significance of HER-2/neu protein expression and gene amplification in gastriccarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 17, 1501-6. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v17.i11.1501
- The clinicopathological parameters and prognostic significance of HER2 expression in gastric cancer patients: a meta-analysis of literature vol.15, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-017-1132-5