- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Wound Complications after Laparotomy for Endometrial Cancer
- Nhokaew, Wilasinee (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Temtanakitpaisan, Amornrat (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Kleebkaow, Pilaiwan (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Chumworathayi, Bundit (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Luanratanakorn, Sanguanchoke (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Kietpeerakool, Chumnan (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University)
- Published : 2015.12.03
This study was conducted to determine the incidence of wound complications after laparotomy for endometrial cancer and significant predictors of risks. Medical records of patients with endometrial cancer undergoing laparotomy for surgical staging at Srinagarind Hospital, Khon Kaen University between January 2007 and December 2013 were reviewed. Intravenous antibiotic prophylaxis was routinely given 30 minutes before surgery. The primary endpoint was wound complications (including seroma, hematoma, separation, or infection) requiring additional medical and/or surgical management within 4 weeks of laparotomy. During the study period, 357 patients with complete medical records were reviewed. The mean age was 56.9 years. Wound complications were observed in 28 patients (7.84%, 95% CI, 5.27% to 11.14%). Body mass index (BMI)
Wound complication;laparotomy;surgical staging;endometrial cancer;risk factors
- Bolac CS, Wallace AH, Broadwater G, et al (2013). The impact of postoperative nausea and vomiting prophylaxis with dexamethasone on postoperative wound complications in patients undergoing laparotomy for endometrial cancer. Anesth Analg, 116, 1041-7. https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0b013e318276cf58
- Cheewakriangkrai C, Panggid K, Siriaungkul S, et al (2007). Lymphovascular space invasion as a prognostic determinant in uterine cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 363-6.
- Galaal K, Bryant A, Fisher AD, et al (2012). Laparoscopy versus laparotomy for the management of early stage endometrial cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 9, 6655.
- Guo S, Dipietro LA (2010). Factors affecting wound healing. J Dent Res, 89, 219-29. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034509359125
- Kodama J, Seki N, Ojima Y, et al (2006). Risk factors for early and late postoperative complications of patients with endometrial cancer. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 124, 222-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2005.06.027
- Meyer LA, Bohlke K, Powell MA, et al (2015). Postoperative radiation therapy for endometrial cancer: American society of clinical oncology clinical practice guideline endorsement of the American society for radiation oncology evidencebased guideline. J Clin Oncol.
- Moore MA, Attasara P, Khuhaprema T, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in mainland South-East Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 67-80.
- Nugent EK, Hoff JT, Gao F, et al (2011). Wound complications after gynecologic cancer surgery. Gynecol Oncol, 121, 347-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.01.026
- Panggid K, Cheewakriangkrai C, Khunamornpong S, et al (2010). Factors related to recurrence in non-obese women with endometrial endometrioid adenocarcinoma. J Obstet Gynaecol Res, 36, 1044-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0756.2010.01289.x
- Perencevich EN, Sands KE, Cosgrove SE, et al (2003). Health and economic impact of surgical site infections diagnosed after hospital discharge. Emerg Infect Dis, 9, 196-203. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid0902.020232
- Pevzner L, Swank M, Krepel C, Wing DA, et al (2011). Effects of maternal obesity on tissue concentrations of prophylactic cefazolin during cesarean delivery. Obstet Gynecol, 117, 877-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e31820b95e4
- Reilly J, Stewart S, Allardice GA, et al (2008). Results from the scottish national HAI prevalence survey. J Hosp Infect, 69, 62-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2008.02.019
- Tangjitgamol S, Khunnarong J, Katanyoo K, et al (2015). Patterns of adjuvant therapy for endometrial cancer: single institutional experience in Thailand. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 25, 665-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000391
- Tangjitgamol S, Khunnarong J, Srijaipracharoen S (2014). Medical morbidities in endometrial cancer patients. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 24, 1623-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000291
- Tangjitgamol S, Manusirivithaya S, Srijaipracharoen S, et al (2010). Endometrial cancer in Thai women: clinicopathological presentation and survival. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1267-72.
- Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, et al (2015). Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 65, 87-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262
- Wang HL, Ren YF, Yang J, et al (2013). Total laparoscopic hysterectomy versus total abdominal hysterectomy for endometrial cancer: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2515-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2515
- Wilson JA, Clark JJ (2004). Obesity: impediment to postsurgical wound healing. Adv Skin Wound Care, 17, 426-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129334-200410000-00013