- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Helicobacter pylori Infection and Gastric Mucosal Atrophy in Two Ethnic Groups in Nepal
- Miftahussurur, Muhammad (Department of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Oita University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Sharma, Rabi Prakash (Gastroenterology Department, Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Shrestha, Pradeep Krishna (Gastroenterology Department, Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Maharjan, Ramesh Kumar (Shechen Clinic & Hospice) ;
- Shiota, Seiji (Department of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Oita University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Uchida, Tomohisa (Department of Molecular Pathology, Oita University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Sato, Hiroki (Department of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Oita University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Yamaoka, Yoshio (Department of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Oita University Faculty of Medicine)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Serum anti-Helicobacter pylori antibodies and pepsinogens (PGs) have been used as gastric cancer screening and gastric mucosal status markers. Nepal is a low risk country for gastric cancer. However, the mountainous populace in the northern region culturally linked to Tibet as well as Bhutan, a neighboring country, have a high risk of GC. We collected gastric biopsy specimens and sera from 146 dyspeptic patients living in Kathmandu, Nepal. We also examined the sera of 80 volunteers living in the mountainous regions of the Himalayas. The optimal cut-off was calculated for serum biomarkers against the histology. Kathmandu patients (43.8%) were serologically positive for H. pylori infection, which was significantly lower than that for the mountainous (61.3%, P = 0.01). The same results also found in the prevalence of PG-positivity, PG I levels and PG I/II ratios (P = 0.001, P<0.0001 and P = 0.03, respectively). Moreover, the PG I/II ratios were significantly, and inversely correlated with the OLGA score (r = -0.33, P<0.009). The low incidence of gastric cancer in Nepal can be attributed to low gastric mucosal atrophy. However, the mountainous subjects have high-risk gastric mucosal status, which could be considered a high-risk population in Nepal.
Helicobacter pylori;pepsinogens;gastric cancer;Nepal
Supported by : National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology(MEXT) of Japan
- Ang TL, Fock KM, Dhamodaran S, et al (2005). Racial differences in Helicobacter pylori, serum pepsinogen and gastric cancer incidence in an urban Asian population. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 20, 1603-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2005.03898.x
- Bornschein J, Selgrad M, Wex T, et al (2012). Serological assessment of gastric mucosal atrophy in gastric cancer. BMC Gastroenterol, 12, 10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-12-10
- Burucoa C, Delchier JC, Courillon-Mallet A, et al (2013). Comparative evaluation of 29 commercial Helicobacter pylori serological kits. Helicobacter, 18, 169-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/hel.12030
- Correa P (1992). Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process--first american cancer society award lecture on cancer epidemiology and prevention. Cancer research, 52, 6735-40.
- Daugule I, Sudraba A, Chiu HM, et al (2011). Gastric plasma biomarkers and Operative Link for Gastritis Assessment gastritis stage. European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology, 23, 302-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e3283438ac3
- Dixon M, Genta R, Yardley J, et al (1996). Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney System. International Workshop on the Histopathology of Gastritis, Houston 1994. Am J Surg Pathol, 20, 1161-81.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Gayden T, Perez A, Persad PJ, et al (2013). The Himalayas: barrier and conduit for gene flow. Am J Phys Anthropol, 151, 169-82.
- Gritti I, Banfi G, Roi GS, et al (2000). Pepsinogens: physiology, pharmacology pathophysiology and exercise. Pharmacological research : the official journal of the Italian Pharmacological Society, 41, 265-81. https://doi.org/10.1006/phrs.1999.0586
- Kikuchi S, Inaba Y, Wada O, et al (1995). The association of smoking and drinking habits with serum pepsinogens. International J Epidemiol, 24, 346-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/24.2.346
- Kim N, Jung HC (2010). The role of serum pepsinogen in the detection of gastric cancer. Gut Liver, 4, 307-19. https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl.2010.4.3.307
- Kuipers EJ (1999). Review article: exploring the link between Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer. Alimentary pharmacology & therapeutics, 13, 3-11.
- Leja M, Cine E, Rudzite D, et al (2012). Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection and atrophic gastritis in Latvia. European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology, 24, 1410-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e3283583ca5
- Leung WK, Wu MS, Kakugawa Y, et al (2008). Screening for gastric cancer in Asia: current evidence and practice. Lancet Oncol, 9, 279-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70072-X
- Lomba-Viana R, Dinis-Ribeiro M, Fonseca F, et al (2012). Serum pepsinogen test for early detection of gastric cancer in a European country. European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology, 24, 37-41. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e32834d0a0a
- Malaty HM (2007). Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection. Best practice & research. Clinical gastroenterology, 21, 205-14.
- Matsuo K, Hamajima N, Suzuki T, et al (2001). Better ROC curves for a regionally developed Helicobacter pylori antibody test. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 2, 155-156.
- Miki K (2006). Gastric cancer screening using the serum pepsinogen test method. Gastric Cancer, 9, 245-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-006-0397-0
- Miki K (2011). Gastric cancer screening by combined assay for serum anti-Helicobacter pylori IgG antibody and serum pepsinogen levels - "ABC method". Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci, 87, 405-14. https://doi.org/10.2183/pjab.87.405
- Miwa H, Go MF, Sato N (2002). H. pylori and gastric cancer: the Asian enigma. The American journal of gastroenterology, 97, 1106-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2002.05663.x
- Nguyen LT, Uchida T, Tsukamoto Y, et al (2010a). Clinical relevance of cagPAI intactness in Helicobacter pylori isolates from Vietnam. European journal of clinical microbiology & infectious diseases : official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology, 29, 651-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-010-0909-z
- Nguyen TL, Uchida T, Tsukamoto Y, et al (2010b). Helicobacter pylori infection and gastroduodenal diseases in Vietnam: a cross-sectional, hospital-based study. BMC gastroenterology, 10, 114. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-10-114
- Rugge M, Genta RM, Group O (2005). Staging gastritis: an international proposal. Gastroenterology, 129, 1807-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.09.056
- Rugge M, Meggio A, Pennelli G, et al (2007). Gastritis staging in clinical practice: the OLGA staging system. Gut, 56, 631-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2006.106666
- Sherpa TW, Sherpa KT, Nixon G, et al (2012). The prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in Sherpa residents of the Upper Khumbu, an isolated community in Eastern Nepal. N Z Med J, 125, 30-7.
- Shiota S, Cruz M, Abreu JA, et al (2014). Virulence genes of Helicobacter pylori in the Dominican Republic. Journal of medical microbiology, 63, 1189-96. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.075275-0
- Shiota S, Mahachai V, Vilaichone RK, et al (2013). Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric mucosal atrophy in Bhutan, a country with a high prevalence of gastric cancer. Journal of medical microbiology, 62, 1571-78. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.060905-0
- Shiota S, Murakami K, Fujioka T, et al (2010). Populationbased strategies for Helicobacter pylori-associated disease management: a Japanese perspective. Expert review of gastroenterology & hepatology, 4, 149-6. https://doi.org/10.1586/egh.10.7
- Sipponen P, Graham DY (2007). Importance of atrophic gastritis in diagnostics and prevention of gastric cancer: application of plasma biomarkers. Scand J Gastroenterol, 42, 2-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365520600863720
- Suerbaum S, Michetti P (2002). Helicobacter pylori infection. The New England journal of medicine, 347, 1175-86. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra020542
- Vilaichone RK, Mahachai V, Shiota S, et al (2013). Extremely high prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in Bhutan. World journal of gastroenterology : WJG, 19, 2806-10. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v19.i18.2806
- Emerging Helicobacter pylori levofloxacin resistance and novel genetic mutation in Nepal vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12866-016-0873-6
- Malignant Neoplasm Burden in Nepal - Data from the Seven Major Cancer Service Hospitals for 2012 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8659
- Trend of Cancer Incidence in Nepal from 2003 to 2012 vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2171
- Gastric mucosal status in populations with a low prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in Indonesia vol.12, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0176203