- Volume 16 Issue 17
DOI QR Code
Serum Anti-Gal-3 Autoantibody is a Predictive Marker of the Efficacy of Platinum-Based Chemotherapy against Pulmonary Adenocarcinoma
- Yanagita, Kengo (Department of Applied Tumor Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University) ;
- Nagashio, Ryo (Department of Applied Tumor Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University) ;
- Ryuge, Shinichiro (Department of Respiratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Katono, Ken (Department of Respiratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Jiang, Shi-Xu (Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Tsuchiya, Benio (Department of Applied Tumor Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University) ;
- Nakashima, Hiroyasu (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Fukuda, Eriko (Molecular Profiling Research Center for Drug Discovery, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology) ;
- Goshima, Naoki (Molecular Profiling Research Center for Drug Discovery, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology) ;
- Saegusa, Makoto (Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Satoh, Yukitoshi (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Masuda, Noriyuki (Department of Respiratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Sato, Yuichi (Department of Applied Tumor Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University)
- Published : 2015.12.03
Background: Identification of predictive markers for the efficacy of platinum-based chemotherapy is necessary to improve the quality of the life of cancer patients. Materials and Methods: We detected proteins recognized by autoantibodies in pretreated sera from patients with lung adenocarcinoma (AC) evaluated as showing progressive disease (PD) or a partial response (PR) after cisplatin-based chemotherapy by proteomic analysis. Then, the levels of the candidate autoantibodies in the pretreated serum were validated by dot-blot analysis for 22 AC patients who received platinum-based chemotherapy, and the expression of identified proteins was immunohistochemically analyzed in 40 AC biopsy specimens. Results: An autoantibody against galectin-3 (Gal-3) was detected in pretreated sera from an AC patient with PD. Serum IgG levels of anti-Gal-3 autoantibody were significantly higher in patients evaluated with PD than in those with PR and stable disease (SD) (p = 0.0084). Furthermore, pretreated biopsy specimens taken from patients evaluated as showing PD following platinumbased chemotherapy showed a tendency to have a higher positive rate of Gal-3 than those with PR and SD (p = 0.0601). Conclusions: These results suggest that serum IgG levels of anti-Gal-3 autoantibody may be useful to predict the efficacy of platinum-based chemotherapy for patients with lung AC.
Galectin-3;autoantibody;lung adenocarcinoma;predictive marker;
Supported by : JSPS, Kitasato University
- Balan V, Nangia-Makker P, Jung YS, et al (2010). Galectin-3: a novel substrate for c-Abl kinase. Biochem Biophys Acta, 1803, 1198-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamcr.2010.06.007
- Chang A (2011). Chemotherapy, chemoresistance and the changing treatment landscape for NSCLC. Lung Cancer, 7, 3-10.
- Chiu CG, Strugnell SS, Griffith OL, et al. Diagnostic utility of galectin-3 in thyroid cancer. Am J Pathol, 176, 2067-81.
- Fernandez-Madrid F, Tang N, Alansari H, et al (2004). Autoantibodies to Annexin XI-A and other autoantigens in the diagnosis of breast cancer. Cancer Res, 64, 5089-96. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-03-0932
- Fukumori T, Oka N, Takenaka Y, et al. Galectin-3 regulates mitochondrial stability and antiapoptotic function in response to anticancer drug in prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 66, 3114-9.
- Gonzalez V M, Fuertes M A, Alonso C, et al (2001). Is cisplatininduced cell death always produced by apoptosis? Mol Pharmacol, 59, 657-63. https://doi.org/10.1124/mol.59.4.657
- Goshima N, Kawamura Y, Fukumoto A, et al. Human protein factory for converting the transcriptome into an in vitroexpressed proteome. Nat Methods, 5, 1011-7.
- Hanash S (2003). Harnessing immunity for cancer marker discovery. Nat Biotechnol, 21, 37-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt0103-37
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2007). Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin, 57, 43-66. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.57.1.43
- Kageyama T, Nagashio R, Ryuge S, et al (2011). HADHA is a potential predictor of response to platinum-based chemotherapy for lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3457-63.
- Laemmli UK (1970). Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, 680-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Le Naour F, Brichory F, Misek DE, et al (2002). A distinct repertoire of autoantibodies in hepatocellular carcinoma identified by proteomic analysis. Mol Cell Proteomics, 1, 197-203. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M100029-MCP200
- Nagashio R, Sato Y, Jiang SX, et al (2008). Detection of tumorspecific autoantibodies in sera of patients with lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 62, 364-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.03.026
- Oishi T, Itamochi H, Kigawa J, et al (2007). Galectin-3 may contribute to Cisplatin resistance in clear cell carcinoma of the ovary. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 17, 1040-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2007.00916.x
- Park SH, Min HS, Kim B, et al (2008). Galectin-3: a useful biomarker for differential diagnosis of brain tumors. Neuropathology, 28, 497-506. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1789.2008.00909.x
- Pepe C, Hasan B, Winton TL, et al (2007). Adjuvant vinorelbine and cisplatin in elderly patients: National Cancer Institute of Canada and Intergroup Study JBR.10. J Clin Oncol, 25, 1553-61. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.5570
- Perng RP, Yang CH, Chen YM, et al (2008). High efficacy of erlotinib in Taiwanese NSCLC patients in an expanded access program study previously treated with chemotherapy. Lung Cancer, 62, 78-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.02.023
- Saussez S, Decaestecker C, Mahillon V, et al (2008). Galectin-3 up-regulation during tumor progression in head and neck cancer. Laryngoscope, 118, 1583-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/MLG.0b013e31817b0718
- Stewart DJ (2007). Mechanism of resistance to cisplatin and carboplatin. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 63, 12-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2007.02.001
- Tsuboi K, Shimura T, Masuda N, et al (2007). Galectin-3 expression in colorectal cancer: relation to invasion and metastasis. Anticancer Res, 27, 2289-96.
- Vural B, Chen LC, Saip P, et al (2005). Frequency of SOX Group B (SOX1, 2, 3) and ZIC2 antibodies in Turkish patients with small cell lung carcinoma and their correlation with clinical parameters. Cancer, 103, 2575-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21088
- Watanabe H, Yamamoto S, Kunitoh H, et al (2003). Tumor response to chemotherapy: the validity and reproducibility of RECIST guidelines in NSCLC patients. Cancer Sci, 94, 1015-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2003.tb01394.x
- Wongkham S, Junking M, Wongkham C, et al (2009). Suppression of galectin-3 expression enhances apoptosis and chemosensitivity in liver fluke-associated cholangiocarcinoma. Cancer Sci, 100, 2077-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01304.x
- Xia Q, Kong XT, Zhang GA, et al (2005). Proteomicsbased identification of DEAD-box protein 48 as a novel autoantigen, a prospective serum marker for pancreatic cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 330, 26-32.
- Yagihashi A, Asanuma K, Kobayashi D, et al (2005). Detection of autoantibodies to livin and survivin in Sera from lung cancer patients. Lung Cancer, 48, 217-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.11.002