- Volume 52 Issue 6
Porous alumina ceramics are involved in many industrial applications due to the exceptional properties of these products. This study addresses the preparation of porous alumina ceramics using hollow microspheres as a pore-forming agent and slip casting as a green-body-forming technique. A uniform distribution of pores is a basic requirement of a porous material. This study investigates three different slurry systems, i.e., as-prepared alumina slurry, alumina slurry electrostatically dispersed by hydrochloric acid (HCl), and slurry dispersed by the commercial dispersant 'Darvan C-N'. At a low viscosity, the hollow microspheres in the slurry tend to float, which causes a non-uniform pore distribution. To avoid this phenomenon, the viscosity of the slurry was increased to the extent that the movement of hollow microspheres ceased in the slurry. As a result, a uniform pore distribution was achieved.
Porous materials;Alumina;Slip casting;Viscosity
- C. Cybulski and J. A. Moulijna, "Monoliths in Heterogeneous Catalysis," Cat. Rev. Sc. Eng., 36  179-270 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1080/01614949408013925
- E. J. Granite and T. O'Brien, "Review of Novel Methods for Carbon Dioxide Separation from Flue and Fuel Gases," Fuel Proc. Tech., 48  1423-34 (2005).
- A. Okada, "Automotive and Industrial Applications of Structural Ceramics in Japan," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 28  1097-4 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2007.09.016
- C. Piconi and G. Maccauro, "Zirconia as a Ceramic Biomaterial," Biomaterials, 20  1-25 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(98)00010-6
- K. Ishizaki, S. Komarneni, and M. Nanko, Porous Materials; Vol. 4, pp. 1-5, Springer-Science & Business Media, Germany, 1998.
- Y. Imanaka, Multilayered Low Temperature Cofired Ceramics (LTCC) Technology; pp. 21-58, Springer Science & Business Media, Germany, 2005.
- T. Ohji and M. Fukushima, "Macro-porous Ceramics: Processing and Properties," Int. Mat. Rev., 57  115-31 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1179/1743280411Y.0000000006
- P. Colombo, "Conventional and Novel Processing Methods for Cellular Ceramics," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 364  109-24 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2005.1683
- H. Wang, X. Li, J. Yub, and D. Kim, "Fabrication and Characterization of Ordered Macroporous PMS-derived SiC from a Sacrificial Template Method," J. Mater. Chem., 14  1383-86 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1039/b313405a
- J. Eom, Y. Kim, I. H. Song, and H. D. Kim, "Processing and Properties of Polysiloxane-derived Porous Silicon Carbide Ceramics Using Hollow Microspheres as Templates," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 28  1029-35 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2007.09.009
- J. Andertova, J. Havrda, and R. Tlaskal, "Preparation of Functionally Graded Alumina Ceramic Materials with Controlled Porosity," Stud. Surf. Sci. and Cat., 160 629-37 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2991(07)80081-4
- D. J. Kim, H. Kim, and J. K. Lee, "Dependence of the Rheological Behavior of Electrostatically Stabilized Alumina Slurries on pH and Solid Loading;" J. Mater. Sci., 33  2931-35 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004398428917
- P. Singh, R. Menchavez, C. Takai, M. Fuji, and M. Takahashi, "Stability of Dispersions of Colloidal Alumina Particles in Aqueous Suspensions," J. Coll. Inter Sci., 291  181-86 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.04.091
- A. Tsetsekou, C. Agrafiotis, and A. Milias, "Optimization of the Rheological Properties of Alumina Slurries for Ceramic Processing Applications, Part I: Slip-casting," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 21  363-73 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2219(00)00185-0
- P. Singh, S. Bhattacharjee, L. Besra, and D. K. Sengupta, "Evaluation of Dispersibility of Aqueous Alumina Suspension in Presence of Darvan C," Ceram Int., 30  936-46 (2004).
- R. M. Anklekar, S. A. Borkar, S. Bhattacharjee, C. H. Page, and A. K. Chatterjee, "Rheology of Concentrated Alumina Suspension to Improve the Milling Output in Production of High Purity Alumina Powder," Colloids Surf. A., 133 [1-2] 41-7 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(97)00110-6
- T. Fengqiu, H. Xiaoxian, Z. Yufeng, and G. Jingkun, "Effect of Dispersants on Surface Chemical Properties of Nano-zirconia Suspensions," Ceram Int., 26  93-7 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-8842(99)00024-3
R. Greenwood and L. Bergstrom, "Electroacoustic and Rheological Properties of Aqueous
$Ce-ZrO_2$(Ce-TZP) Suspensions," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 17  537-48 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2219(96)00097-0
Supported by : Korea Institute of Materials Science (KIMS)