- Volume 52 Issue 6
This study investigates the macroscopic wear behaviors of C/C and C/C-SiC composites coated with hafnium carbide (HfC). To improve the wear resistance of C/C composites, low-pressure chemical vapor deposition (LPCVD) was used to obtain HfC coating. The CVD coatings were deposited at various deposition temperatures of 1300, 1400, and
Wear;C/C composite;Hafnium carbide;Coatings
- A. R. Hyde, "Ceramic Matrix Composites: High-Performance Materials for Space Application," Mater. Des., 14 97-102 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-3069(93)90002-D
- Y. Xu, Y. Zhang, I. Cheng, I. Zhang, J. Lou, and J. Zhang, "Preparation and Friction Behavior of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Silicon Carbide Matrix Composites," Ceram. Int., 33 439-45 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2005.10.008
- M. Esfehanian, J. Guenster, J. G. Heinrich, J. Horvath, D. Koch, and G. Grathwohl, "High-Temperature Mechanical Behavior of Carbon-Silicide-Carbide Composites Developed by Alloyed Melt Infiltration," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 28 1267-74 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2007.09.053
- R. H. Jones, L. L. Snead, A. Kohyama, and P. Fenici, "Recent Advances in the Development of SiC/SiC as a Fusion Structural Material," Fusion Eng. Des., 41 [1-4] 15-24 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0920-3796(98)00285-3
- A. R. Raffray, R. Jones, G. Aiello, M. Billone, L. Giancarli, H. Golfier, A. Hasegawa, Y. Katoh, A. Kohyama, S. Nishio, B. Riccardi, and M. S. Tillack, "Design and Material Issues for High Performance SiCf/SiC-based Fusion Power Cores," Fusion Eng. Des., 55  55-95 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0920-3796(01)00181-8
- F. Christin, "A Global Approach to Fiber n-D Architectures and Self Sealing Matricies: from Research to Production," Int. J. Appl. Ceram. Technol., 2  97-104 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7402.2005.02011.x
- W. Krenkel, Ceramic Matrix Composites - Fiber Reinforced Ceramics and Their Applications, WILEY-VCH Verlag Gm BH & Co., Germany, 2008.
- R. Naslain, "Design, Preparation and Properties of Non-Oxide CMCs for Application in Engines and Nuclear Reactors: an Overview," Compos. Sci. Technol., 64 155-70 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00230-6
- S. P. Lee, Y. Katoh, and A. Kohyama, "Microstructure Analysis and Strength Evaluation of Reaction Sintered SiC/SiC Composites," Scr. Mater., 44 153-57 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(00)00542-X
- I. S. Han, K. S. Lee, D. W. Seo, and S. K. Woo, "Improvement of Mechanical Properties in RBSC by Boron Carbide Addition," J. Mater. Sci., 21 703-6 (2002).
- M. Aparicio and A. Duran, "Yttrium Silicate Coatings for Oxidation Protection of Carbon-Silicate Carbide Composites," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 83  1351-55 (2000).
- S. Ramasamy, S. N. Tewari, K. N. Lee, R. T. Bhatt, and D. S. Fox, "Slurry Based Multilayer Environmental Barrier Coatings for Silicon Carbide and Silicon Nitride Ceramics - II. Oxidation Resistance," Surf. Coat. Technol., 205 266-70 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.07.048
K. N. Lee, D. S. Fox, and N. P. Bansal, "Rare Earth Silicate Environmental Barrier Coatings for SiC/SiC Composites and
$Si_3N_4$Ceramics," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 25 1705-15 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2004.12.013
- J. Kimmel, N. Miriyala, J. Price, K. More, P. Tortorellib, H. Eatonc, G. Linseyc, and E. Sun, "Evaluation of CFCC Liners with EBC after Field Testing in a Gas Turbine," J. Eur. Ceram Soc., 22 2769-75 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2219(02)00142-5
- Y. Ye, H. Zhang, Y. Tong, and S. Bai, "HfC-based Coating Prepared by Reactive Melt Infiltration on C/C Composite Substrate," Ceram. Int., 39 5477-83 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2012.12.059
- Y. Wang, H. Li, Q. Fu, H. Wu, D. Yao, and H. Li, "SiC/HfC/SiC Ablation Resistant Coating for Carbon/Carbon Composites," Surf. Coat. Technol., 206 3883-7 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2012.03.039
- X. Xiong, Y.-L. Wang, G.-D. Li, Z.-K. Chen, W. Sun, and Z.-S. Wang, "HfC/ZrC Ablation Protective Coating for Carbon/Carbon Composites," Corros. Sci., 77 25-30 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2013.06.042
- S. Bhowmick, J. J. Melendez-Martinez, I. Hermann, Y. Zhang, and B. R. Lawn, "Role of Indenter Material and Size in Veneer Failure of Brittle Layer Structures," J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 82B 253-59 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.30728
- K. S. Lee, J. Y. Park, W. J. Kim, and G. W. Hong, "Effect of Microstructure on the Indentation Properties of Silicon Carbide-Graphite System Fabricated by LPCVD Method," J. Mater. Sci., 35 2769-77 (2001).
- K. S. Lee, S. Wuttiphan, X.-Z. Hu, S. K. Lee, and B. R. Lawn, "Contact-Induced Transverse Fractures in Brittle Layers on Soft Substrates: A Study on Silicon Nitride Bilayers," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 81 571-80 (1998).
- K. S. Lee, K. S. Jang, J. H. Park, T. W. Kim, I. S. Han, and S. K. Woo, "Designing the Fiber Volume Ratio in SiC Fiber-Reinforced SiC Ceramic Composites under Hertzian Stress," Mater. Des., 32 [8-9] 4394-401 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.03.080
- K. S. Lee, S. K. Kim, T. W. Kim, C. Kim, and D. K. Kim, "Cracking of Densely Coated Layer Adhesively Bonded to Porous Substrates under Hertzian Stress," J. Mater. Sci., 42 9116-20 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-007-2063-2
- K. S. Lee, D. H. Lee, and T. W. Kim, "Microstructure Controls in Gadolinium Zirconate/YSZ Double Layers and Their Properties," J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn., 122  668-73 (2014). https://doi.org/10.2109/jcersj2.122.668
- S. Y. Kim, I. S. Han, S. K. Woo, K. S. Lee, and D. K. Kim, "Wear-mechanical Properties of Filler-added Liquid Silicon Infiltration C/C-SiC Composites," Mater. Des., 44 107-13 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.07.064