- Volume 52 Issue 6
Blast furnace slag(BFS) is well known for its hardening mechanism in ordinary Portland cement with alkali activation due to its latent hydraulic property. The possibility of using calcium compound as activator for BFS has been investigated in this study. The hydration properties of calcium compound activated BFS binders were explored using heat of hydration, powder X-ray diffraction and compressive strength testing. Heat of hydration results indicate that the hydration heat of BFS is lower than OPC paste by about 50%. And ettringite as hydration product was formed continuously as the calcium sulfate was decreased. The maximum compressive strength of hardened BFS mortar at 28 days is confirmed to be 83% as compared with hardened OPC mortar.
Blast furnace slag;BFS hydrate;Ettringite;Calcium aluminate compounds;Non-OPC
- C. W. Park, "Eco-Friendly of Concrete," J. Korea Concrete Institute, 20  24-6 (2008).
- S. H. Lee, "Hydration Mechanism of Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag," J. Korea Concrete Institute, 24  31-4 (2012).
- F. Bellmann, "Activation of Blast Furnace Slag by a New Method," Cem. Concr. Res., 39  644-50 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.05.012
- J. I. Escalante-Garcia, "Portland Cement-blast Furnace Slag Mortars Activated Using Waterglass: Effect of Temperature and Alkali Concentration," Const. Build. Mater., 66  323-28 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.04.120
- K. J. Mun, "The Effect of Slaked Lime, Anhydrous Gypsum and Limestone Powder on Properties of Blast Furnace Slag Cement Mortar and Concrete," Const. Build. Mater., 21  1576-82 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2005.09.010
- H. Sakamoto, "pH Behavior of Hydrated Low-Alkalinity Cement," J. Nucl. Fuel Cycle Environ., 5  37-42 (1999). https://doi.org/10.3327/jnuce.5.37
- F. Winnefeld, "Hydration of Calcium Sulfo-Aluminate Cements - Experimental Findings and Thermodynamic Modelling," Cem. Concr. Res., 40  1239-47 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.08.014
- K. Arbi, "Alkali-Activated Blends of Calcium Aluminate Cement and Slag/Diatomite," Ceram. Int., 39  9237-45 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2013.05.031
- M. S. Kim, "Use of CaO as an Activator for Producing a Price-competitive Non-cement Structural Binder using Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag," Cem. Concr. Res., 54 208-14 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2013.09.011