- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Conceptual Study on Driving Factors for Wind based on Land and Sea Breeze in the Elementary Textbooks
초등학교 교과서 속 해륙풍에 기반한 바람이 부는 이유에 대한 개념적 고찰
- Received : 2015.11.06
- Accepted : 2015.11.27
- Published : 2015.11.30
In the elementary school science curriculum, wind is one of the most important concept. In particular, land and sea breeze has been a key example to deliver how wind is driven, and thus its model experiments have been used to help students understand causes of wind. Here we compare causes and explanations for wind and land and sea breeze between textbooks in colleges and elementary schools to examine any potential improvement for the contents. In addition, we conducted survey to examine how pre-service teachers understand land and sea breeze, and convection box experiment used in elementary school textbooks is useful to understand land and sea breeze. Based on the comparison, we find that college level textbook explains the cause of wind as atmospheric pressure difference while elementary school textbooks explain them differently according to curriculums. In the textbooks, there are a difference in the way described for land and sea breeze. Analysis of questionnaire indicate that pre-service teachers understood land and sea breeze correctly, and they selected the convection box experiment in 2009 curriculum textbooks as the most suitable one. Explanations and experiments for land and sea breeze in the textbooks have been revised as the modification of elementary school curriculums. We expect this study helps to deliver more solid contents for wind and land and sea breeze in the upcoming new curriculum.
wind;land and sea breeze;model experiment;difference of air pressure;the convection box
- Cho, H. & Kim, K. (2000). An analysis of the preconception and misconception about weather in elementary school students. Journal of Research in Science Education, 24, 1-23. (in Korean)
- Chun, H.-J. & Jeong, Y.-K. (2001). A case study on middle school students' scientific understanding of natural phenomena. Journal of Science Education Chonnam National University, 25(1), 39-46. (in Korean)
- CSUN. (2015). CONVECTION and VENTILATION BOX. Retrieved Nov. 6, 2015 From http://www.csun.edu/-jrs95812/comps/convectionbox/index.htm.htm
- Hyun, D.-G., Kang, W.-M., Lim, S.-M. & Chae, D.-H. (2014). An investigation of elementary students' perception and inferring process about a land and sea breeze. Journal of Science Education, 38(1), 160-167. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2014.38.1.160
- Laudan, R. (1987). From mineralogy to geology: The foundations of a science. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 278p.
- Lee, G. & Kwon, B.-D. (2010). Reasoning-based inquriy model embedded in earth science phenomena. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 31(2), 185-202. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2010.31.2.185
- Lee, S.-H. (2006). Improved program for experiment of convection as teaching on the air circulation in primary science class. Master's thesis, Graduate School of Seoul National University of Education. 46p. (in Korean)
- Lim, S. (2015). An analysis of concepts and inquiry activities related to the "Earth Science" area in the South Korean elementary school textbooks to the current & a study on the improvement of future textbook. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 34(3), 288-296. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2015.34.3.288
- Yang, I.-H., Cho, H.-J., Jeong, J.-W., Hur, M. & Kim, Y.-S. (2006). A Delphi study of expert community = Aims of laboratory activities in school science. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 26(2), 177-190. (in Korean)
- Yang, M. & Yun, S. (2010). A study on redesign and utilization of a convective circulation box for observations of land and sea breezes. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 31(3), 246-258. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2010.31.3.246
- 교육과학기술부. (2007). 초등학교 과학 교육과정 해설서. 교육과학기술부. 서울, 229p.
- 교육과학기술부. (2012a). 과학 6-2. (주) 금성출판사.
- 교육과학기술부. (2012b). 초등학교 교사용 지도서 과학 6-2. (주) 금성출판사.
- 교육부. (1997a). 자연 5-1. 국정교과서 주식회사.
- 교육부. (1997b). 초등학교 교사용 지도서 자연 5-1. 국정 교과서 주식회사.
- 교육부. (2015a). 과학 5-2. (주) 미래엔.
- Bu, D. & Hong, S. (2008). A study on misconception of 'wind' in the elementary school students. Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, 12(1), 67-82. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2008.12.1.67
- Chae, D. & Jung, S. (2008). A qualitative study about cause of wind with the ideas of primary teachers. Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, 12(2), 457-469. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2008.12.2.457
- 교육부. (2015b). 초등학교 과학과 교육과정. 교육부. 서울, 275p.
- 교육부. (2015c). 초등학교 교사용 지도서 과학 5-2. (주) 미래엔.
- 교육인적자원부. (2002a). 과학 5-1. 대한교과서주식회사.
- 교육인적자원부. (2002b). 초등학교 교사용 지도서 과학 5-1. 대한교과서주식회사.
- 문교부. (1965). 자연 5-1. 국정교과서주식회사.
- 문교부. (1973). 자연 5-1. 국정교과서 주식회사.
- 문교부. (1983a). 국민학교 교사용 지도서 자연 5-1. 국정 교과서 주식회사.
- 문교부. (1983b). 자연 5-1. 국정교과서 주식회사.
- 문교부. (1990a). 국민학교 교사용 지도서 자연 5-1. 국정 교과서 주식회사.
- 문교부. (1990b). 자연 5-1. 국정교과서 주식회사.
- 민경덕 역. (2001). 대기환경과학; Ahrens, C. D. Essential of meteorology 3rd ed. 시그마프레스, 서울, 대한민국, 353p.
- 한국기상학회. (1999). 대기과학개론. 시그마프레스, 서울, 대한민국, 405p.
Supported by : 경인교육대학교