- Volume 17 Issue 4
Purpose: This study compared the effect of music and noise blocking on the vital signs, postoperative pain, analgesic use, length of stay in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) and satisfaction after a laparoscopic colectomy. Methods: This randomized controlled trial was performed in a 555-bed National Cancer Center, from February 13 through May 31, 2012. Subjects consisted of 69 patients who underwent a laparoscopic colectomy under general anesthesia, and were recruited by informed notices. The inclusion criteria were patients between the ages of 35-75, with an American Society Anesthesiologist physical classification I or II. The subjects were randomly allocated to three groups; music therapy group (MTG), noise blocking group (NBG) and control group (CG). Collected data were analyzed using Repeated measures ANOVA, one-way ANOVA and Kruskal-Wallis test through IBM SPSS (Version 19.0). Results: There were no significant differences in vital signs among the three groups. Postoperative pain in MTG (p<.05) and NBG (p<.05) was significantly decreased compared to CG. The amount of analgesics (p=.030) and length of stay at PACU (p=.021) in MTG was significantly decreased compared to NBG or CG; satisfaction in MTG and NBG was significantly higher compared to CG. Conclusion: Music seems to reduce postoperative pain, the amount of analgesics, and the length of stay at PACU. Therefore, music therapy is considered to be included in nursing intervention for postoperative patients at PACU.
음악요법;소음;수술 후 통증;만족도
- Oh SH, Kim IH, Choi SR, Chung CJ. Causes of patient dissatisfaction with anesthetic care. Korean Journal of Anesthesiology. 2005:48(4):387-392. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2005.48.4.387
- Lee Y, Son J, Yoon H. Risk factors and level of acute post-operative pain during 48 h after operation in surgical patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2011;13(2):149-155.
- Apfelbaum JL, Chen C, Mehta SS, Gan TJ. Postoperative pain experience: Results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2003;97(2):534-540. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ANE.0000068822.10113.9E
- Cousins, MJ. Acute pain and injury response immediate and prolonged effects. Regional Anesthesia. 1989;14(4):162-179.
- Ebneshahidi A, Mohseni M. The effect of patient-selected music on early postoperative pain, anxiety, and hemodynamic profile in cesarean section surgery. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008;14(7):827-831. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0752 https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0752
- Chang SC, Chen CH. Effects of music therapy on women's physiologic measures, anxiety, and satisfaction during cesarean delivery. Research in Nursing Health. 2005;28(6):453-461. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20102
- Metzger LK. Assessment of use of music by patients participating in cardiac rehabilitation. Journal of Music Therapy. 2004;41(1):55-69. https://doi.org/10.1093/jmt/41.1.55
- Nilsson U. The anxiety-and pain-reducing effects of music interventions: A systematic review. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses. 2008;87(4):780-807. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn.2007.09.013
- Shertzer KE, Keck JF. Music and the PACU environment. Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2001;16(2):90-102. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpan.2001.22594
- Shyu BC, Sikes RW, Vogt LJ, Vogt BA. Nociceptive processing by anterior cingulate pyramidal neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology. 2010;103(6):3287-3301. http://dx.doi.org/10.1152/jn.00024.2010. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.00024.2010
- Henke PG, Ray A, Sullivan RM. The amygdala. Emotions and gut functions. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 1991;36(11):1633-1643. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01296409
- Myung JS, Go YH, Jung SY, Jung JS. The effects of physiologic response and pain threshold by music therapy in normal subject. Journal of New Medical. 1994;37(6):73-77.
- Heitz L, Symreng T, Scamman FL. Effect of music therapy in the postanesthesia care unit:a nursing intervention. Journal of Post Anesthesia Nursing. 1992;7(1): 22-31.
- Tse MAY, Chan MF, Benzie IFF. The effect of music therapy on postoperative pain, heart rate, systolic blood pressures and analgesic use following nasal surgery. Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy. 2005;19(3):21-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/J354v19n03_05
- Parlar Kilic S, Karadag G, Oyucu S, Kale O, Zengin S, Ozdemir E, et al. Effect of music on pain, anxiety, and patient satisfaction in patients who present to the emergency department in Turkey. Japan Journal of Nursing Scienc. 2015;12(1):44-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12047 https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12047
- Kim SJ, Jun EH. The effects of music therapy on recovery of consciousness and vital signs in post operative patient in the recovery room. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing. 2000;7(2):222-238.
- Choi MS, Lee EJ. Effects of noise block on anxiety and vital sign of patients with gynecologic laparoscopic surgery in operating room. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2012;21(3):317-325. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.317 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.317
- Kam PCA, Kam AC, Thompson JF. Noise pollution in the anaesthetic and intensive care environment.Anaesthesia.1994;49(11):982-986. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1994.tb04319.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1994.tb04319.x
- Topf M, Bookman M, Arand D. Effects of critical care unit noise on the subjective quality of sleep. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1996;24(3):545-551. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1996.22315.x
- Chen YF, Chiang HM, Tsai YT, Tsai HY. Association of increased pain threshold by noise with entral opioid neurons. Journal of Chinese Physiology. 2009;52(2):93-98.
- Tsivian M, Qi P, Kimura M, Chen VH, Chen SH, Gan TJ, et al. The effect of noise-cancelling headphones or music on pain perception and anxiety in men undergoing transrectal prostate biopsy. Urology. 2012;79(1):32-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2011.09.037 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2011.09.037
- Taylor LK, Kuttler KL, Parks TA, Milton D. The effect of music in the postanesthesia care unit on pain levels in women who have had abdominal hysterectomies. Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 1998;13(2):88-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1089-9472(98)80091-9
- Vaajoki A, Kankkunen P, Pietila A, Kokki H, Vehviläinen-Julkunen K. The impact of listening to music on analgesic use and length of hospital stay while recovering from laparotomy. Gastroenterology Nursing. 2012;35(4):279-284. https://doi.org/10.1097/SGA.0b013e3182608fc1
- Cruise CJ, Chung F, Yogendran S, Little D. Music increases satisfaction in elderly outpatients undergoing cataract surgery. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 1997;44(1):43-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03014323
- Ozer N, Karaman Ozlu Z, Arslan S, Günes N. Effect of music on postoperative pain and physiologic parameters of patients after open heart surgery. Pain Management Nursing. 2013;14(1):20-28. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2010.05.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2010.05.002
- You JS, Kwon MS, Koo GS, Yoon HN, Park YS, Seo JS, et al. The effects of music therapy and noise blocking intervention on the vital signs of patient in intensive care unit. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2002;8(2):49-60.
- Son YJ, Park YS, Kim HU, Choi JY, Lee KM, Yi YH. Effects of music therapy on pain, anxiety and length of stay of patients with laparoscopic hysterectomy in the postanesthesia care unit. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2015;17(1):28-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.28 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.28
- Kim HS, Lee CG, Jung H, Kim KS. The effect of music therapy on recovery of anesthesia on vital sign and pain of post operative patients in obstetrics and gynecology. The Medical Journal of Chosun University. 2002;27(1):105-112.
- Jung HC. The effect of music therapy on the physiological and psychological status of women college students based on their preference of music. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008;20(2):136-145.
- You SY, Jung HS, Koo JW. The effects of the music therapy on the anxiety and satisfaction of clients with cataract surgery under local anesthesia. Journal of Korean Community Nursing. 2003;14(3):407-414.