- Volume 17 Issue 4
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to assess alcohol and caffeine intake and identify the impact of alcohol and caffeine intake on body mass index, alcohol use disorder, and quality of sleep among university students. Methods: This study design was accomplished with a cross sectional survey and conducted from May to June 2014. One hundred and twenty-four freshmen of E university in S city, Korea were selected and evaluated by self-administered questionnaires. Alcohol and caffeine intake were measured by self-reported recall. The data were analyzed using descriptive analysis, independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation, and multiple linear regression. Results: The average amount of alcohol intake was
- Pender NJ, Murdaugh C, Parsons MA. Health Promotion in nursing practice. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education; 2006. p.8-15.
- Fish C, Nies MA. Health promotion needs of students in a college environment. Public Health Nursing. 1996;13(2):104-111. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.1996.tb00227.x
- Cho YH, Kim GS. Social network and health behaviors according to dwelling types of undergraduates. Annual Bulletin of the Bum-suk Academic Scholarship Foundation. 2013;17:133-145.
- Kim GS, Cho YH, Ra J, Park JY. Correlations among self-efficacy, social support networks, and health behavior in undergraduate students. Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing. 2008;22(2):211-223.
- Yoon HS, Cho YC. A study on the preventive attitudes and health behavior of life-style related diseases in college students. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion. 2005;22(4):229-244.
- Kim YB. Analysis on regional drinking behavior among university and college students in South Korea. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science. 2014;15(2):71-82. https://doi.org/10.15524/KSAS.2014.15.2.071
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Healthy drinking campaign [Internet]. Sejong: Ministry of Health & Welfare, Division of Mental Health Policy; 2012 Jul 23 [cited 2015 Oct 29]. Available from: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=1&CONT_SEQ=239192&SEARCHKEY=TITLE&SEARCHVALUE.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2015 guide for mental health policy. Policy report. Sejong: Ministry of Health & Welfare, Division of Mental Health Policy; 2015 March. Report No.: 11-1352000-000954-10.
- Kim YB. Health factors related to drinking problems and high-risk drinking behaviors among Korean university students. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science. 2015;16(1):55-68. https://doi.org/10.15524/KSAS.2015.16.1.055
- Oh SW. Effect of alcohol on obesity and metabolic syndrome. Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. 2009;18(1):1-7.
- Lim YH, Kim SH. A survey on exposure assessment of caffeine from caffeine containing beverages by college students in Daejeon city and Cungnam province in Korea. Korean Association of Human Ecology Symposium. 2011;2:113-114.
- Na MO. The misconstruction and truth of food additives- the various sides of caffeine. The Science and Technology. 2013;529:65-68.
Korea Customs Service. Coffee import market trends [Internet]. Daejeon: Korea Customs Service; 2014 Jun 7 [cited 2015 Oct 29]. Available from: http://www.customs.go.kr/kcshome/cop/bbs/selectBoard.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_1018&nttId=2783&layoutMenuNo=294&siteId=main&searchCtgry=&searchCnd=title&searchWrd=%ec%bb%a4%ed%94%bc
- Korea Customs Service. Import and export trade statistics- coffee import statistics [Internet]. Daejeon: Korea Customs Service; 2015 Oct 15 [cited 2015 Nov 2]. Available from: http://www.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=user.newTradestatistics.NewTradestatisticsApp&c=1003&mc=STATS_INQU_TRADE_020.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods. 2007;39(2):175-191. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/bf03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Kim YJ. Alcohol intake and smoking-related processed data sharing from Korean genome and epidemiology study [Internet]. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Korean Genome and Epidemiology Study; 2014 Feb 7 [cited 2015 Oct 27]. Available from: http://www.google.co.kr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwift4-81Y_JAhUiK6YKHQKFDMQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.go.kr%2FCDC%2Fcms%2FcmsFileDownload.jsp%3Ffid%3D31%26cid%3D12620%26fieldName%3Dattach1%26index%3D1&usg=AFQjCNEQxnhb9q8lPyzkBG9-C8HfOkDePw&sig2=WwrfEVV3DGbvq5Zmn6ViAQ.
- Hwang IH. Problems with judicial precedents of the Supreme Court regarding application of Widmark Equation. Journal of Criminal Law. 2009;21(1):375-398.
- Lee BO, Lee CH, Lee PG, Choi MJ, Namkoong K. Development of Korean version of alcohol use disorders identification test(AUDIT-K): Its reliability and validity. Journal of Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry. 2000;4(2):83-92.
- Kim CG, Kim JS, Jung JG, Kim SS, Yoon SJ, Suh HS. Reliability and validity of alcohol use disorder identification test-korean revised version for screening at-risk drinking and alcohol use disorders. Korean Journal of Family Medicine. 2014;35(1):2-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2014.35.1.2 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2014.35.1.2
- Hong JH. Research for living habits and anemia condition by the amount of intake of caffeine for university students [master's thesis]. Gyeongsan: Daegu Haany University; 2011. p.1-97.
- Buysse DJ, Reynolds CF 3rd, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer DJ. The Pittsburgh Sleep Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Research. 1989;28(2):193-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Guidelines for proper alcohol consumption [Internet]. Cheongju: Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, Alcohol Safety Information; 2013 [cited 2015 Nov 5]. Available from: http://www.foodnara.go.kr/alcohol_safety/sub04/sub2.jsp?id=4-2.
- Statistics Korea. Social indicators in Korea. Policy report. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2015 March. Report No.: 11-1240000-000039-10.
- World Health Organization. Fact sheet on the harmful use of alcohol [Internet]. Geneve: World Health Organization; 2015 Jan [cited 2015 Nov 5]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs349/en.
- Park KS. Analysis on the difference of health behaviors of college students in relation to living patterns: focusing on the college students of a certain college in Gangwondo [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2007. p.1-71.
- Jung E, Park H. Effects on stress degree, study attitude, sleeping hours by intake degree of caffeinated drinks. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2014;12(2):353-361. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.353
- Yoo HS, Sim KH. Survey on the high-caffeine energy drink consumption status of university students in Seoul. The East Asian Society of Dietary Life. 2014; 24(3):407-420.
- Drake C, Roehrs T, Shambroom J, Roth T. Caffeine effects on sleep taken 0, 3, or 6 hours before going to bed. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2013;9(11): 1195-1200. http://dx.doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.3170
- Lee B, Kim KM, Kim B, Kim B, Kim J, Lee I, et al. Caffeine contained beverage intake and sleep quality of university students. Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2014;27(1):31-38. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2014.27.1.031
- Kim NJ, Choi KH. Lipid metabolic effects of caffeine using meta-analysis. Journal of the Korean Data and Information Science Society. 2012;23(4):649-656. http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.4.649 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.4.649
- 1. Relationships between job stress and caffeine intake in industrial workers vol.49, pp.5, 2016, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.4.363