- Volume 20 Issue 6
The Jeju Special Self-Governing Province is currently promoting the "Carbon-free Island by 2030" policy, which requires the use of renewable energy instead of fossil fuel so that the island will have no carbon gases generated by 2030. To implement this policy, the island plans to build a wind power plant capacity of 1.09 GW in 2020; this wind power plant is currently ongoing. However, when wind power output is greater than the power demand of the island, the stability of Jeju Island power system must be prepared for it because it can be a problem. Therefore, this study proposes a voltage source-type MMC-HVDC system linked to mainland Korea to expand the wind power penetration limits of Jeju Island under the stable operation of the Jeju Island power system. To verify the effectiveness of the proposed scheme, computer simulations using the PSCAD/EMTDC program are conducted, and the results are demonstrated. The scenarios of the computer simulation consist of two cases. First, the MMC-HVDC system is operated under variable wind power in the Jeju Island power system. Second, it is operated under the predicted Jeju Island power system in 2020.
MMC-HVDC(Modular multilevel converter-high voltage direct current);Wind power penetration limit;PSCAD/EMTDC;Jeju Island
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, "Low carbon green growth in jeju-carbon free island jeju by 2030," May 2012.
- S. Korea, "7th electricity supply and demand planning," July 2015.
- N. T. Quach, "Application of MMC-HVDC system for regulating grid voltage based on jeju island power system," The Transaction of the Korean Institute of Power Electronic, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp 494-502, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.6.494
- Q. Tu, “Reduces switching-frequency modulation and circulating current suppression for modular multilevel converters,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 2009-2007, Jul. 2011.
- J. Qin, “Predictive control of a modular multilevel converter for a back-to-back HVDC system,” IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1538-1547, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2191577
- R. Z. Chai, "Control strategies of MMC-HVDC connected to passive networks," TENCON 2013-2013 IEEE Region 10 Conference, pp. 1-4, Oct. 2013.
- Y. H. Kim, “Increasing effect analysis of the wind power limit using energy storage system in jeju-korea,” Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 81-90, Jan. 2014.
- R. Marquardt, "Modulares stromrichterkonzept fur netzkupplungsanwendung bei hohen spannungen," ETG Conference 2002, Bad Nauheim, 2002.
연구 과제번호 : 풍력발전설비 평가용 실증단지 확장개발
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)