- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Pre-Evaluation of Stability during Tunnel Excavation using Unconfined Compression Strength of Intact Rock or Rock Mass and Crown Settlement Data
터널천단변위와 암석 또는 암반의 일축압축강도를 이용한 시공 중인 터널의 예비 안정성 평가
Park, Young Hwa;Moon, Hong Duk;Ha, Man Bok
- Received : 2015.10.21
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2015.12.15
PURPOSES : It is difficult to estimate tunnel stability because of lack of timely information during tunnel excavation. Tunnel deformability refers to the capacity of rock to strain under applied loads or unloads during tunnel excavation. This study was conducted to analyze a methods of pre-evaluation of stability during tunnel construction using the critical strain concept, which is applied to the results of tunnel settlement data and unconfined compression strength of intact rock or rock mass at the tunnel construction site. METHODS : Based on the critical strain concept, the pre-evaluation of stability of a tunnel was performed in the Daegu region, at a tunnel through andesite and granite rock. The critical strain concept is a method of predicting tunnel behavior from tunnel crown settlement data using the critical strain chart that is obtained from the relationship between strain and the unconfined compression strength of intact rock in a laboratory. RESULTS : In a pre-evaluation of stability of a tunnel, only actually measured crown settlement data is plotted on the lower position of the critical strain chart, to be compared with the total displacement of crown settlement, including precedent settlement and displacement data from before the settlement measurement. However, both cases show almost the same tunnel behavior. In an evaluation using rock mass instead of intact rock, the data for the rock mass strength is plotted on the lower portion of the critical strain chart, as a way to compare to the data for intact rock strength. CONCLUSIONS : From the results of the pre-evaluation of stability of the tunnel using the critical strain chart, we reaffirmed that it is possible to promptly evaluate the stability of a tunnel under construction. Moreover, this research shows that a safety evaluation using the actual instrumented crown settlement data with the unconfined compression strength of intact rock, rather than with the unconfined compression strength of a rock mass in the tunnel working face, is more conservative.
tunnel;critical strain;field measurement;unconfined compression strength
- Aydan, O. and Dalgic, S., 1998, Prediction of Deformation Behaviour of 3 Lanes Bolu Tunnels through Squeezing Rocks of North Anotolian Fault Zone(NAFZ). Proc. Regional Symp. on Sedimentary Rock Engineering, Taipei, pp. 228-233.
- Bugye Engineering Co., 2011, Bummul Tunnel Field Instrumentation Report-Daegu 4rd beltway private investment Project, Final Report. (부계기술단, 대구 4차 순환도로 민간투자 시설사업 범물터널계측, 최종보고서, 2011.)
- Duncan, J. M. and Chang, C. Y., 1970, Nonlinear Analysis of Stress and Strain in Soils, Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, Vol. 96, No. 5, September/October 1970, pp. 1629-1653.
- Franklin, J. A., 1976, An Observation Approach to the Selection and Control of Rock Tunnel Linings, Proc. of Shotcrete for Ground Support, ACI Special Publication, pp. 556-596.
- Panet, M., and Guenot, A., 1982, Analysis of Convergence behind the Face of a Tunnel, Tunnelling82, Proc. of the 3rd International Symposium, Brighton, pp. 197-204.
- Park, Si Hyun and Shin, Yong Suk, 2007, A Study on the Safety Assessment Technique of a using Critical Strain Concept, Journal of The Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 29-41.
- Sakural, S., 1982, An Evaluation Technique of Displacement Measurements in Tunnels, Proceedings of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 317, pp. 93-100.
- Sakurai, S., 1983, Displacement Measurements Associated with the Design of Underground Openings, Proceedings Int. Symposium Field Measurement in Geomechanics, Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 1163-1178.
- Sakurai, S., 1986, Field Managements and hazard warning levels in NATM, Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 5-10.
- Sakurai, S., 1997, Lessons Learned from Field Measurements in Tunnelling, Tunnelling and underground Space Technology, Vol. 12, Issuue 4, pp. 453-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(98)00004-2
- Shin, Shi Un, 2009, Tunnel Stability Evaluation by using Limit Deformation Ratio, KyungPook University Graduate Ph.D. Thesis, pp. 181-192.
- Yim, Sung Bin, 2009, Safety Assessment of Face and Prediction of Weak Zone Based on RMR and Measured Displacement during Tunnel Excavation, ChungBuk University Graduate Ph.D. Thesis, pp. 88-90.
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교