- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Laboratory Performance Evaluation of Recycled Asphalt Binders with Differing Rejuvenators
재생 첨가제를 활용한 재활용 아스팔트 바인더의 실내 공용성 평가
Kim, Yeong Min;Im, Jeong Hyuk;Hwang, Sung Do;Jeong, Kyu Dong;Rhee, Suk Keun
- Received : 2015.11.24
- Accepted : 2015.12.02
- Published : 2015.12.15
PURPOSES : The objective of this study is to investigate the properties of recycled asphalt binders with five different rejuvenators, in order to evaluate the applicability of the recycled asphalt binders compared with the original asphalt binder. METHODS : In order to simulate recycled asphalt binders, fresh asphalt binders are aged by various Superpave aging procedures, such as the rolling thin-film oven (RTFO) and the pressure aging vessel (PAV). Then, selected rejuvenators are added to the aged asphalt binders in the amount of 5%, 10%, and 15%. The asphalt binder properties are evaluated by the dynamic shear rheometer (DSR), the rotational viscometer (RV), and the bending beam rheometer (BBR). In this study, AP-5 (penetration grade 60-80, PG 64-16) asphalt binder is used. A total of five types of rejuvenators are employed. RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS : When considering aged asphalt without a new asphalt binder, it seems that the percentage of rejuvenator used in Korea is a bit too low, and that it fails to possess the characteristics of the original binder. From the current practice of evaluating the properties of recycled binder based on penetration ratio only, the amount of rejuvenator required is similar for the long-term-aged binder, but is excessive for the longest-term aged binder, causing deterioration of workability and stiffness of the recycled binder.
recycled asphalt binder;asphalt binder aging;rejuvenator;asphalt binder grade
- ASTM D4887 (2011). Standard Practice for Preparation of Viscosity Blends for Hot Recycled Bituminous Materials. Philadelphia.
- Asphalt Institute (2003). Performance Graded Asphalt Binder Specification and Testing. SUPERPAVE SP-1, Kentucky.
- Charles, J.G., Martin, A.E., Chowdhury, A., Han, R., Parpaitrakul, N., Jin, X., and Lawrence, J. (2009). Evaluation of Binder Aging and Its Influence in Aging of Hot Mix Asphalt Concrete:Literature Review and Experimental Design. Technical Report, FHWA/TX-08, Report No. 0-6009-1, Texas Department of Transportation Research and Technology Implementation Office, Austin, Texas.
- Dave, E.V., Buttlar, W.G., and Paulino, G.H. (2010). Asphalt Pavement Aging and Temperature Dependent Properties through a Functionally Graded Viscoelastic Model, Part-2:Applications. Materials Science Forum Volume 631-632, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, pp. 53-58.
- Gardiner, M.S. and Komas, T.W. (2013). NCHRP Synthesis 435:Recycled Materials and Byproducts in Highway Applications. Volume 6, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington D.C., pp. 6.
- Houston, W.N., Mirza, M.W., Zapata, C.E., and Raghavendra, S. (2007). Environmental Effects in Pavement Mix and Structural Design Systems. Research Results Digest 324, Part 1 of NCHRP Project 9-23, NCHRP Web-Only Document 113, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington D.C..
- Huh, J.D., Hwang, S.D., and Choi, H.K. (2003). Construction of New Penetration Grading for Asphalt Binders. Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. D23, pp. 53-60.
- Jeong, K.D., Hwang, S.D., Yoon, A.S., and Hong, J.C. (2002). A Study of the Performance of Hot Recycled Asphalt Pavements. International Journal of Highway Engineering, Conference Proceeding, Vol. 4, Issue 1, pp. 119-124.
- Kim, K.W., Doh, Y.S., and Kim, S.W. (2002). Change of Physical Properties of Binder Extracted from after Artificial Aging of Asphalt Concretes. International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 7, Issue 4, pp. 53-66.
- Lee, S., Amirkhanian, S.N., Shatanawi, K., and Kim, K.W. (2008). Short-Term Aging Characterization of Asphalt Binders Using Gel Permeation Chromatography and Selected Superpave Binder Tests. Construction and Building Materials, Volume 22, Issue 11, pp. 2220-2227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.08.005
- Lopes, M.D., Dan, Z., Chailleux, E., Kane, M., Gabet, T., and Petiteau, C. (2012). Characterization of Aging Processes on the Asphalt Mixture Surface. 2nd International Symposiumon, Asphalt Pavementet Environnement, Transpotation Research Board, The National Academies, France.
- Mirza, M.W. and Witczak, M.W. (1996). in: Proceedings of the 1995 Conference of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists: Asphalt Paving Technology, Vol. 64, Maplewood, MN.
- Morian, N., Jajj, E.Y., Glover, C.J., and Sebaaly, P.E. (2011). Oxidative Aging of Asphalt Binders in Hot Mix Asphalt Mixtures. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Issue No. 2207, Washington D.C. pp. 107-116.
- National Institute of Environmental Research, (2006). 2005 Status of National Waste and Disposal. Ministry of Environment, Sejong, Korea.
- Nho, S.H., (2013). Property Management of Recycled Asphalt Mixture to Prevent Early Failures. International Journal of Highway Engineering, Road 15, Isuue 2, pp. 30-42.
Grant : 친환경 저비용 에코 아스팔트 도로포장 기술