- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Effectiveness of Providing National Highway Detour Information via Variable Message Signs on Expressway Operations - Case of Yeongdong Expressway -
도로전광표지를 이용한 국도우회정보 제공이 고속도로 운영에 미치는 효과 분석 -영동고속도로를 중심으로-
Yang, Sun-Pil;Choi, Yun-Taik;Lee, Kang-Hoon;Han, Eum;Yun, Ilsoo
- Received : 2015.07.30
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.12.15
PURPOSES : Expressways experience chronic and recurring congestion, especially during weekends and holidays, because of the increased demands for leisure-related travel. The alternatives to solve chronic and recurring congestion may be three-fold: (1) physical expansion of expressway capacities, (2) road pricing, and (3) temporal and spatial distribution of traffic demands. Among these, the third alternative may be the most cost-effective method for the Korea Expressway Corporation (KEC) that can be achieved by using the existing ITS infrastructure. METHODS : KEC initiated a pilot study in which the traffic on congested expressways was managed by providing traffic condition information (i.e., travel times) of neighboring national highways for taking detours via variable message signs (VMS). This study aimed to estimate the detour rate, and the two pilot studies on Seohaean and Yeongdong expressways yielded many benefits. RESULTS : It was revealed that the total length of congestion segments decreased by 7.8 km, and the average travel speed increased by 5.3 km/h. CONCLUSIONS : Based on these findings, it was concluded that the propagation of detour information via VMSs during congestion hours can help reduce congestion on expressways and increase the benefits of the entire network.
expressways;national highway detour information;variable message signs;detour rate;hi-pass
- Choi, B., Kim, G., Seok, J., 2004a. Driver Behavior Analysis Using Internet-Based Route Choice Simulator, the Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 1D, pp. 37-43.
- Choi, K., Jang, J., Kim, S., Kim, J., 2004b. Diversion Rate Analysis for Various Detour Information on VMS, Comparison-Group Method, the Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 6D, pp. 873-880.
- Choi, Y., Choi, K., 2008. A Methodology for Estimating Diversion Flows on Expressways, the Journal of Korean Society of Transportation Vol. 26 No. 1, pp. 7-16.
- Choi, J., Seong, H., Kim, S., Park, J., Kang, W., 2010. Analysis of Influencing Factors Traveler Detour Making Behavior for Providing Freeway VMS Information, the Journal of the Korea Institute of Intelligent Transport System Vol. 9 No. 3, pp. 41-50.
- Jang, J., Moon, B, Choi, K., 2005. Assessment of Diversion Rat by Detour Traffic Information Provision in Freeway, the Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 2D, pp. 221-226.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, 2013. Guideline for Investment Assessment of Transportation Facilities.
- Yang, S., 2014. Analysis of Effects of Providing the National Highway Detour Information via Variable Message Sign in Traffic Patterns, Master Thesis, Ajou University.
Supported by : 한국연구재단