- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Verification of the Appropriateness of the Standard for Tunnel Luminance in the Threshold Zone Through a Full-scale Tunnel Driving Test
실 규모 터널 주행실험을 통한 터널 경계부 휘도 기준의 적정성 검증
Park, Won Il;Cho, Won Bum;Jeong, Jun Hwa
- Received : 2015.08.08
- Accepted : 2015.12.03
- Published : 2015.12.15
PURPOSES : This study aimed to evaluate the appropriateness of safety with the standard for threshold zone luminance as specified in the Recommendation for Lighting of Traffic Tunnel, which has been widely adopted worldwide. METHODS : A driving test of the subject in a full-scale road tunnel was conducted. The adaptation luminance and threshold zone luminance, which should be known for the driver to perceive an object within stopping sight distance, were obtained. These values were compared with the adaptation luminance and threshold zone luminance obtained by the existing reduced model test and tunnel lighting standard that has served as a guideline for the current threshold zone luminance standard. RESULTS : According to this study, threshold zone luminance should be increased to at least 1.8 times the value proposed in the existing studies and to twice the domestic tunnel lighting standard (KS C 3703: 2014). CONCLUSIONS : The threshold zone luminance proposed in this study differs largely from that obtained from indoor tests and from the current tunnel lighting standard used worldwide; this difference may be attributed to the fact that the indoor tests did not incorporate driving workload, non-uniformity of luminance distribution in terms of sight, and factors that reduce the visibility of the driver, such as the light reflected into the driver's eyes. Hence, it is necessary to further review the factors that reduce the visibility of drivers approaching tunnels in order to determine the rational tunnel threshold zone luminance.
tunnel for vehicular traffic;threshold zone luminance;adaptation luminance;full-scale experiment
- Cho, Won-Bum, Jeong, Jun-Hwa, Relationship between Adaptation Luminance and Threshold Zone Luminance for Vehicular Traffic Tunnels, Internation Journal of Highway Engineering, vol.16 No.3, pp. 85-99, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2014.16.3.085
- CIE 26-1973, International recommendations for tunnel lighting, International Commission on Illumination, 1973.
- CIE 88-1990, Guide for the lighting of road tunnels and underpass, 1st Edition, International Commission on Illumination, 1990.
- Edward J., Douglas A., Arthur N. Beare, An assessment of visibility at the entrance of a long vehicular tunnel, Human Factors, 21(1), pp. 107-117, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872087902100113
- KS C 3703 : 2014, Recommendation for Lighting of Traffic Tunnel, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, 2014.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Guideline for road safety facility installation and management, 2008.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Guidelines for road safety facility installation and management, 2008.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Guideline and manual for road structure and facility. 2009.
- Schreuder. D. A., The lighting of vehicular traffic tunnels, 119, Centrex, Eindhoven, the Netherlands, 1964.
- Wout van Bommel, Tunnel lighting practice world-wide, Lighting research & technology Vol.13, No.2, pp. 80-86, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1177/096032718101300204
Grant : 야간 도로 시환경 확보 및 평가기술 개발